Let's See Some T5 Only Lite Tanks (remember Just T5 Lite Tanks) :-)

which sounds better for a bulb selection for a 48" 6-54 watt T5 tek light?

-Back to Front-
aquablue//blue plus//daylight//daylight//blue plus//aquablue

or

-Back to Front-
aquablue//blue plus//daylight//aquablue//blue plus//aquablue

The Shrimp X said:
which sounds better for a bulb selection for a 48" 6-54 watt T5 tek light?

-Back to Front-
aquablue//blue plus//daylight//daylight//blue plus//aquablue

or

-Back to Front-
aquablue//blue plus//daylight//aquablue//blue plus//aquablue

Sorry Shrimp X, I am not a fan of the aquablues on the front and back. You would have no way to recreate sunrise/sunset. Put the blue + on the front and back for that effect. Then replace the blue + with the aquablues you removed.

Russ

ok so which sounds better than?

Back - front.
1) blue plus//aquablue//daylight//daylight//aquablue//blue plus

or

2) blue plus//aquablue//aquablue//daylight//aquablue//blue plus

or

3) blue plus//aquablue//atinic//daylight//aquablue//blue plus

or

4) blue plus//aquablue//daylight//blue plus//aquablue//blue plus

So does that mean that #4 is the best combination of lights and the best order to have them in, or just the best order to have that particular combo in? I was thinking of changing out my actinic for an aquablue which would give me (2) aquablues, (2) blue + and (2) daylights. What do you think? Does anyone think that at least 1 pure actinic is required?

I run two actinics on my outside ballast for sunup/sundown effect. It does offer a nice flourescence that the blue + doesn't capture. The blue + is much brighter though. Totally a matter of taste. Nothing to do with better or worse or required.

I've read the thread and didnt see this posted so I'll ask, how wide are the reflectors? I am setting up a 75 soon and was thinking of doing all t5 but I am wondering how many 50watt bulbs I can fit in just 18in of space. Most seem to be running 6 lamps, is this enough for sps? I plan to do a mixed tank but would like the ability to grow just about anything I want including maybe a clam or two. It seems like 6 48 inch bulbs would be a little weak, its only like 300 watts or 4watts per gallon.
Thanks everyone.

psyco_guy_abd said:
I've read the thread and didnt see this posted so I'll ask, how wide are the reflectors? I am setting up a 75 soon and was thinking of doing all t5 but I am wondering how many 50watt bulbs I can fit in just 18in of space. Most seem to be running 6 lamps, is this enough for sps? I plan to do a mixed tank but would like the ability to grow just about anything I want including maybe a clam or two. It seems like 6 48 inch bulbs would be a little weak, its only like 300 watts or 4watts per gallon.
Thanks everyone.

You will be able to fit 6 over your 75g and it should be enough to have just about anything you want.

watts per gallon is not a good measure of light esp. for T5s.

I have 4 54w T5 or 219w on my 55g but my tank is easily twice as bright as my friend's 55g and he has 4x65w PC or 260w.

HTH

I've got the 6 x 54w TEK light. I've got a few SPS and a Blue Rimmed Derasa. Everything in my tank is growing really well, except one Orange Monti Cap. It is not dying by any stretch of the imagination, but it isn't plating the way I'd like it too.

Here's 3 pix of my Acropora Tort:

When put in my tank in August '04:

mothercolony8-04.jpg

In late January '05:

mothercolony1-28-05.jpg

Frags cut off it because it grew up through the waters surface:

tortthruthetopfrags2-13-05.jpg

wow. thats cool. I have always wondered what would happen if and when a SPS grows out of the water, does it die or what? I would have thought that it would grow horizontaly instead so it would'nt be out of the water.

Back