Let's See Some T5 Only Lite Tanks (remember Just T5 Lite Tanks) :-)

i think an email to danano is in store for a better pic of his light setup.

i was under the impression the aqualux ones are ati. but yeah, he has a lot of room with 8 bulbs on a 24" wide tank....

if the reflectors are 2.25" wide, then he would have 6" left.. and it appears more than 6" is left of room on the tank

It seems they are some sort of a fixture, not just retro parts that we are used to.

to me it looks like a aluminum box, that the retro parts are mounted to.. but its very difficult to tell from the pics we have...

Looking at the picture I think perhaps that might be a shot before he added the last two lamps? Using the standoffs to mount the endcaps the lamps space out 2 1/2 inches apart. That should leave 4 inches open assuming the 24" is the size of the opening rather than the outside deminsion of the tank which is usually the case.

It is possible there is more than 1 ATI reflector design. I have heard they made Arcadia products as well and those reflectors are a bullet shap curved Parabolic design that look quite a bit smaller than the Aqualux one's.

From the TotM thread:

danano said:

I know the ATI bulbs are in the US but I've not seen the fixtures either. Perhaps in time, ATI will design one with US voltage in mind. The fixtures are known as ATI T5 Powerbalken in Europe.
Dan

okay question time,

I want to use T5 lighting and I plan a primarily SPS tank...I decided against the 120g as it is a bit too wide for where I want to put it, so I am deciding on the following, my question is are these tanks too deep for the T5 lighting to reach? I figure I could put less light intensive corals at the bottom. (FYI- I plan to use a Starboard barebottom)...so basically am I screwed with T5 if I jump from 23 to 25 or to 28.5" of height on my tank? (I want to use a Tek T5, 6 bulb system)

Tank options: Dimensions: Price:
Oceanic 72g bowfront 48.5" x 18" x 23" $263.52
Oceanic 90g bowfront 48.5" x 18" x 28.5" $590.24
Oceanic 90g rectangle 48.5" x 18.5" x 25" $287.52

So come on you T5 experts sell me on this!! Also any thoughts on the cost vs. benefit of Sapphire glass?

I would stick with the 72 if you are going standard TEK light with SPS. If you get the hood you could get retro fits and use an Ice Capballast to overdrive the lamps. I don't know how they would do on a 28" but the 25 would be OK.

I would go the 72 bow. 90 is not worth it! But, I would still go the 120 :)

I'd love a 30" Wide x 50" long x 18" Deep (My mithical perfect tank)

Deep tanks are a PITA. Especially BB ones :)

On the regular vs starfire glass issue - starfire is the ultimate if you have the cash. But the common argument that if you look at the edge of a tank with regular glass you will see green does not really affect seeing through the 1/4" or 3/8" inch of the front panel. When you are looking at edge of a tank panel through 12 or more inches of glass, yes, you see green. But not through the front panel. To make a test, hold a piece of white paper behind the glass so you can see half of it through the glass, and the other half of it through the air. The difference in color is so slight that for me buying a starfire tank is way low on the list of things I want. But if you have the extra bucks, go for it.

I have heard plenty of complaints about bowfronts, so I am leaning towards the 90 rectangle which it seems as though the depth is not an issue with the T5s I have looked at the T5/MH combos and they are pretty sweet...

Oceanic sent me a sample of both kinds of glass, when looking with the bare eye the Starfire looks so clear, I am trying to see what the price difference is but I am guessing the $$s could be spent better elsewhere...

so it looks as though I am between a 90g rect, or 72 bow...I think I prefer the 90 as the extra space should allow for a bit more fish bioload.

Here is a shot of inside the canopy that I just finished. This is over a 58gal tank and the lights are 4x39watt Aquamedic T5's with icecap reflectors and an icecap 660 so 240watts of T5. I am thinking of adding 2 more T5's in a few months.

59941Inside-canopy-med.jpg

tell us a little about your waterflow too - it looks very active

JVHam said:
Here is a shot of inside the canopy that I just finished. This is over a 58gal tank and the lights are 4x39watt Aquamedic T5's with icecap reflectors and an icecap 660 so 240watts of T5. I am thinking of adding 2 more T5's in a few months.

w flash, without flash

w flash, without flash

don't diss the fuzziness
with flash
49068with_flash_IMG_0005.JPG

without flash
49068with_no_flash.JPG

My waterflow has 2 MJ 1200s in either side if the tank pointed towards the center glass. The return from the sump is doing about 400gph through a 3/4 in sea swirl. Clarity of the water and water flow are as impotrant to me as light.

starboard?

bermudadiver said:
OK, here is my tank. Just got my camera working again.

It's a 75G AGA, and I have a TekLight 8 x 54w fixture I got from ReefGeek.

I have 5 GE Daylight, 2 blue and 1 actinic.

My tank doesn't look as cool as most of yours. I can't import fish or inverts here, so I am limited to what I can catch myself. I have had no lighting problems with anything I have put in the tank.

tank2_jan4_2005.jpg

Back