Let's See Some T5 Only Lite Tanks (remember Just T5 Lite Tanks) :-)

Ok, I'm trying to post a pic and can't find / don't know what the URL is. I have the pics posted to a web site, now I'm stuck, any help would be cool.

NewSchool04 said:
Ok, I'm trying to post a pic and can't find / don't know what the URL is. I have the pics posted to a web site, now I'm stuck, any help would be cool.

You can right-click on the picture in the browser and then click on properties. You should see the address listed.

HTH

Going to try again!
75 AGA w/ 6 bulb Tek Light. I've had the lights since mid Jan and began picking up a few frags of SPS and all is going extremely well.

SlideShow.html

Did you guys see the TOTM, lit with T5's! It's phenomenal!
Anyway, here is update on my tank. Finished transferring everything from my 55g into my new 90g. Now it looks even more empty!

40521640.jpg

I want to get an 8 bulb fixture but have one question, it has 2 power cords, do each power 4 bulbs or one powers 6 and the other one 2 for dawn and dusk?

THX in advance...

Tek lights are the 4 outside bulbs and the 4 inside bulbs. Kinda goofy but thats the way they are wired. So it would be like this.

1,2,7,8 are one ballast.
3,4,5,6 are the other.

Its nice on the 6 bulb arangement.

Blue
Day
atinic
Day
Day
Blue

Is my set up.
It makes a nice morning night transition look. (the blues are on one plug and the mid four on the other).

Tank said:
Tek lights are the 4 outside bulbs and the 4 inside bulbs. Kinda goofy but thats the way they are wired. So it would be like this.

1,2,7,8 are one ballast.
3,4,5,6 are the other.
I thought it was weird how they did it at first too, but after further consideration, that really is the best way short of adding a 3rd switch.

Personaly Id like it to be every other one more than the current pattern.

Still cant simulate perfectly, but you'd have a more even light for those of use that split the times.

I would like to be able to have the blues come on for an hour or 2 then more of the afternoon types on for the mid 8 hours or so. It's fine either way, but I guess we all have our preferences.

trueperc said:
So what is the deepest anyone is using these bulbs ?

Mine is a 23.5 tall but I keep the level near the bottom of the top frame and the sandbed just above the lower so I am about 18.5" of water. I wouldn't try anything much deeper unless you are going to keep low to lower moderate critters in the bottom third of the tank..

Grim,
did you look at the Tank of the month? Lit by (8) 54W T5 and the reflectors look odd. From what I can tell, there are 2 recfectors housing 3 bulbs and 1 housing 2 bulbs?
12Feb05dananoT5s.jpg

This is a beautiful tank and he manages TONS of SPS with just 54W T5 lighting and from what I can tell, less than optimal reflectors. It is a 22" tall tank.

He's using ATI reflectors. I am not sure of the ATI design but based on the pic here Id say they are individual reflectors. Look at the left sife of the metal housing the lamps are in. That appears to be a clip on reflector covering the top of the lamp.

This is from the article

After using T5 bulbs for over two years, and almost nine months in my current tank, I must say that I am very pleased with the results in terms of coral growth and color. Aside from quality T5 tubes, equally important are the mirror finish ATI parabolic reflectors that rest directly on the tubes for maximum reflectivity. One of the keys to getting good results with T5 bulbs, I believe, is to keep your SPS no more than 18" from the light source. For intensely colored SPS (i.e. reds, blues, pinks, neon yellows), I keep them less than 10" away. The T5 bulbs are no more than three inches from the water surface. Three 24-watt T5 bulbs light up the refugium and another six 24-watt T5 bulbs cover the propagation tank.

They must be different from the version Aqualux sells. He has 8 bulbs and still lots of room in a 24" wide tank. Nice to see a TOtM using T5s.

Back