Lets see those steel stands!

Here is my stand for a 120g.
d2f6525b61bad4abca8c2b723b8f8183.jpg
a3e96138a151253871eed295d6bef229.jpg
4d281f536be6da179571239d8b6f00a6.jpg
bdd4bae712cd2a133a69e8cd4d5f6acb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Starting my stand sunday. Using a mig welder with a buddy. It’s for a 225 72” L X 30W and 24T. All 11gauge 2X2 steel except the top rectangle which is 11 gauge 2X3. Gussets on all verticle members, 1 center support post on each long side and (2) 2x2 cross members on the top.

NPkVpV.jpg

Tanks been up for 2 months and so far so good.. thanks for all advice.

You used 2x2 1/8" with no center support on the front and it's holding fine?

Not questioning your stand but I was worried about my 72" 2x3 1/8" with a center support. Mostly because I like to worry about things I don't understand.

Lots of work building a stand

First bevel and deburr all the edges

8LbP1q.jpg

Then we got this thing out

qZxUXT.jpg

And start arcing the thing together.

i2gI94.jpg

Almost done for the night, just need to seal the ends and install the gussets.

Leveling feet will be installed at home because I didn’t pick them out yet :(. Dang, those things are expensive!

P4g6Um.jpg

If I could give any advice, it would be to buy your materials from a distributer with nice bandsaws (IMS in my area) and pay them to make the cuts. Having true and square cuts makes making the top of the stand flat and square much easier.

This week I pulled the trigger on a 138" x 28" x 24" rimless peninsula (3/4" glass all sides) from Custom Aquariums. Now its time to build the dream stand.

I was wondering if someone here can share if 1.57" (2.6mm) marine grade 316 stainless steel square tubing found here would be able to handle the tank with the attached drawing?

They gave me a 10 week lead time on the tank, so I have lots of time to plan:)

attachment.php

Attachments

• SnipImage.jpg
    SnipImage.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 2
You used 2x2 1/8" with no center support on the front and it's holding fine?

Not questioning your stand but I was worried about my 72" 2x3 1/8" with a center support. Mostly because I like to worry about things I don't understand.

So far so good...an engineer ran the numbers and it was well within the safety parameters but if I had to do it again i would have put a removable center leg for the warm fuzzy and more gussets. The tanks weight is only on the four corners.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190118-220453_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190118-220453_Gallery.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 2
This week I pulled the trigger on a 138" x 28" x 24" rimless peninsula (3/4" glass all sides) from Custom Aquariums. Now its time to build the dream stand.

I was wondering if someone here can share if 1.57" (2.6mm) marine grade 316 stainless steel square tubing found here would be able to handle the tank with the attached drawing?

They gave me a 10 week lead time on the tank, so I have lots of time to plan:)

attachment.php

Don't know if you have already built the stand, but if you look at the design I went with, yours might be a little overkill. Also, 36" high makes the tank harder to access.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2201396

Lots of great information and ideas in this thread. I currently have a wood stand that has to be replaced (don't ask...) and will go with metal this time. I have a good welder that will work with me on the metal part but we both have a hard time coming up with a good way to dress it. I have not seen a lot of detail/information in here how to best dress the stand with wood around it and inside to completely cover the metal parts themselves. Any help is appreciated.

My wife would lynch me by the short hairs if I suggested an open stand. Dig the structural element, being an engineer, but I would have to hide it with flashy decora!

im thinking about building a 60x36x20 tank, with a 60x36x36 stand. but my door frame is 28 inches wide.

does anybody have a suggestion for how i could build a stand? (no big enough windows or other doors)

im thinking about building a 60x36x20 tank, with a 60x36x36 stand. but my door frame is 28 inches wide.

does anybody have a suggestion for how i could build a stand? (no big enough windows or other doors)

Depending on how much you are willing to spend, how much mechanical ability you have, this is the route I went. It's solid, could park a car on top of it.
This is my design without the help from 80/20.
You can put it together in the location you want.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25474818&postcount=2227

You can have it built in two parts. I had to bring mine through an egress window in my basement. I had a local company build my stand to my specs and it was not that expensive either.

Two Part Stand

just scroll down to bottom

Back