Lightsluvr's 340G Upgrade

Geek crown

Geek crown

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15467490#post15467490 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lytehouse
He doesn't actually get his Geek crown until he gets the iphone and hooks the controller to it. :D

That may be a while coming, because I am Geek-lite. I am having trouble setting up a dynamic dns to access the controller from the internet. When I sign into my dynamic dns account in a web browser, instead of accessing the controller, I find myself at the router page... somethin' isn't right...

Back to the books...

LL

Re: Geek crown

Re: Geek crown

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15467832#post15467832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lightsluvr
That may be a while coming, because I am Geek-lite. I am having trouble setting up a dynamic dns to access the controller from the internet. When I sign into my dynamic dns account in a web browser, instead of accessing the controller, I find myself at the router page... somethin' isn't right...

Back to the books...

LL

That's frustrating. Probably a box to check or uncheck... nothing complicated, just one of those little things that got overlooked. Good luck....

Cody,

My Scopas was an algae pig. How about yours?

He took a little while to get after it, but he took care of the small bit I had in my tank in no time. He goes through Nori like a fat kid goes through cake though! He also pigs out on the frozen stuff I feed the tank.
He's no bully though. He ignores my yellow watchman and refuses to back down from my cinnamon clown (about as big as the tang), but never shows signs of aggression. They're the only two fish in the tank aside from him. I feel like I'm pushing the 33g's limits with the big clown (3" or so) and this tang. Plus the 33g is going into a BC 14 in about 2 months, so no more fish. The clown will be rehomed and the goby will be off to my 14g with the pair of baby clarkii clowns in there now.

but I ramble...back to George's split!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15467892#post15467892 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gmneil
congrats on the split. how do you like the apex?

I love the Apex - the controller itself is very user friendly and easy to program. The only problem I am having is connecting to the internet to enable online monitoring and control.

That is not an Apex issue; it is a problem with the owner ;)

I'm working on it though...

LL

Thanks to everyone for the split...

Thanks to everyone for the split...

I've watched many of the large tank threads make a split, and thought it was so cool... I learned so much from those threads, where many people add their input and experiences while following along with the thread OP (original poster).

When I began this thread in May, I had no idea it would make a split, let alone in less than 90 days!

Thanks to the many folks who contributed and are still tagging along...

More to come...

LL

CLOSED LOOP running!

CLOSED LOOP running!

Last evening, I removed all of the front panels from the stand (so I could quickly detect any plumbing issues) :rolleyes:

night1.jpg

I opened the manifold valves and fired up the Barracuda Gold pump which operates the system's closed loop system.

night4.jpg

I am pleased to report - still no leaks, and lots of flow. Our concern has always been the 1" flexible PVC that was used though the flow side of the system. (See: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1638966&perpage=25&pagenumber=20 )

The fish were freaked out at first and retreated to their hidey holes...but this morning, everything looks back to normal.

night2.jpg

The plan is to run the closed loop during all daylight hours, and just the Vortech MP40's at night...

night6.jpg

night7.jpg

Nighttime on the reef with the moonlights...the surface motion in the photo is from the closed loop's five returns utilizing 1" Pacific Coast Flow Accelerators:

night3.jpg

LL

Last edited:
You're going to have to forward the port for the apex. While in the router's admin menu, go to the forwarding tab, it should be pretty easy to fumble thru. ;)

Looks like that flex pvc is working out well George:)...PM me if you need help getting the controller set up for remote monitoring.

Sorry I'm so late on this George, but congratulations on your SPLIT! It's been an absolute super thread!

BTW - I'm so jealous that you already have you Apex. :cool: :D

I ordered mine a while ago, but nothing yet. I always was a day late and dollar short. :eek:

Apex

Apex

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15470848#post15470848 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GlassReef
Sorry I'm so late on this George, but congratulations on your SPLIT! It's been an absolute super thread!

BTW - I'm so jealous that you already have you Apex. :cool: :D

I ordered mine a while ago, but nothing yet. I always was a day late and dollar short. :eek:

I ordered June 1 from Neptune. Retailer orders still waiting. Neptune appears to be caught up on direct orders. If you ordered from them, you might call and inquire.

LL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15470341#post15470341 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aquainas
Looks like that flex pvc is working out well George:)...PM me if you need help getting the controller set up for remote monitoring.

PM sent.

I need help - feel like I am chasing my tail... (sorry, I have been around cats too long...) :rolleyes:

LL

Baby steps...

Baby steps...

We got our friend Chris back to the house today to install tile in front of the tank.

Chris scoping out the job:
tile01.jpg

Cutting tile and getting it right the first time:
tile03.jpg

Finished tile glued into place - from left of tank:
tile07.jpg

and right side of the tank:
tile05.jpg

Chris will be back tomorrow to grout the tile and finish the job...

The door panels were shipped today from the millwright in Texas - should arrive Friday.

LL

A few fish pics

A few fish pics

While I had the camera out taking pictures of the tile job, I snapped a few of the fish friends who were curious about activity near the tank (could it be feeding time?)

fish080401.jpg

fish080402.jpg

fish080403.jpg

fish080405.jpg

fish080406.jpg

That last one is our very plump Christmas Wrasse...

LL

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks! to Aquinas for working with me on the telephone last night to re-think the internet connection problems I was experiencing with Apex. It turns out I was just trying to make it too difficult.

Following Curt's instructions (and the owner's manual), I set up a dynamic dns address for the internet. I linked the address to my router where the Apex is connected by an Ethernet cable.

Then I typed the new dns into the address line of my internet browser. That opened up a new window requesting a username and password. Well, I tried the usernames and passwords for the dns, the router and every other combination I could imagine. Nothing happened.

Aquinas worked through the issue with me, and agreed it appeared that we had done everything to make a connection. Finally, a light bulb came on, and I typed in the Apex controller's default username and password...Voila! Success!

A Home Simpson moment... Doh!! :rolleyes:

After customizing the Apex username and password, all is working great. I now have the capability to control most of the Apex's functions and monitor the modules from anywhere in the world where I have internet access...

Next step, the iPhone... :p

LL

Back