Live Rocking shipping

Dubbs

Hey RC!

It's been awhile since I was last on here. I've been researching and saving money to make sure i would be 100% ready!

What online store sales great live rock?
When shipping live rock, is 4-5 days too long in a box?
Or should I go with Air shipping?

Air shipping, and several of our sponsors have great rock. I had good luck with Premium Aquatics myself.

You can also check out Tampa Bay Saltwater. I got my rock through them and couldn't have been happier with the life on it.

It doesn't come cured so you will have to go through that process. Other than catching out some gorilla crabs it was pest free. Got some good hitch hikers too. 2 sea cucumbers and an urchin. There is a ghost shrimp in there too. It is a one man show and he threw in some freebies. Really nice tree and ball sponges. There were some freebies I didn't keep too, looked like some sort of sea kelp or something.

Anyway, he sends it air freight to DIA so you work out a schedule to pick it up the same day it ships out. Not even over night so less stress on the critters. It was pretty easy to pick up and the air freight pick up is open til 11pm.

Definately something to consider if you are not going with marco rock.

I fully endorse tampa bay saltwater myself, shipping is a killer but worth it! Richard takes care of you VERY well. It is by far the most alive live rock I have ever seen and if you get "the package" I recommend ordering 1 size smaller than he suggests because he WILL overload you!

If you would rather save a bit of cash I would go with BRS pukani rock which is amazing for dry base rock (25 lbs overfilled my 40b by a large margin) and then go to premium aquatics to get online decent rock since they sell it by the pound instead of by the 30-50 pound lots.

The in between road money wise would be fosters and smith and by the box lots. No real hitchhikers of any real value but that means no real pests either.

Hi Dubbs!

There's a couple decent LFS in the area... are you actually in Denver?

Thanks for all the reply's guys!

What LFS sells decent rock? I've been to A few in the Denver area. They don't seem as 'rich' in life, like the rock online.

I fully endorse tampa bay saltwater myself, shipping is a killer but worth it! Richard takes care of you VERY well. It is by far the most alive live rock I have ever seen and if you get "the package" I recommend ordering 1 size smaller than he suggests because he WILL overload you!

If you would rather save a bit of cash I would go with BRS pukani rock which is amazing for dry base rock (25 lbs overfilled my 40b by a large margin) and then go to premium aquatics to get online decent rock since they sell it by the pound instead of by the 30-50 pound lots.

The in between road money wise would be fosters and smith and by the box lots. No real hitchhikers of any real value but that means no real pests either.

+1, I have heard nothing but good things, and I just ordered 20lbs for my newest tank. :D

Thanks for all the reply's guys!

What LFS sells decent rock? I've been to A few in the Denver area. They don't seem as 'rich' in life, like the rock online.

No... none of the stores sell stuff that's "rich" in life like TBS. Todd's Tropical in Aurora gets some really good colorful stuff every once in a while (with macros and such). And while it's not very pretty, I've never ever had hitch hikers from the stuff I've bought at Reef N Pond.

I bought from Premium & was very happy. You don't want more than 2 day shipping on LR & next day is better to limit any die off. Most retailers will offer free shipping based on your order total, I think Premium is $175 for free shipping.

+100 Premium Aquatics!

I did 2 day shipping and then they sat for a day unopened in the box and still smelled like the ocean!

Awesome Rock from them... especially the Manado

I'll pitch in and vote for Premium Aquatics as well. Got 110 lbs of the Manado and really like it. I'm planning on getting some of the Bali Alor they have and also some from TBS to fill out my tank as well.

I'll pitch in and vote for Premium Aquatics as well. Got 110 lbs of the Manado and really like it. I'm planning on getting some of the Bali Alor they have and also some from TBS to fill out my tank as well.

I bough the Bali alor from PA too.. nice stuff

I have a mix of Fiji, Bali Alor and Manado... couldn't be happier

1 branch piece and a few shelves

Best part a bout PA is if you call them and tell them what you are looking for (shape/size) they will accommodate you best they can and let you know what rock looks like that is in stock at the moment

Back