Location for Vinegar dosing in sump

miroch

I am about to start dosing vinegar in my sump. I don't have a fuge, just 2 compartments in a 20g sump. 1st section has the drain, skimmer and a bag of Chemi-pure elite. 2nd section is the return. Would the best location for dosing vinegar be in the 1st section just upstream of the gfo/gac? Hopefully the bacteria will grow on the GAC. I have read that Randy has his vinegar dose just upstream of his GAC.

It could grow there.\ and might even if dosed downstream. That could be good or might limit the effectiveness of the gac and gfo coated with bacterial mass. Personally , I dose most of the vodka and vinegar I use in the high flow return area of the sump to spread it out;some is dosed upstream of a a garbage can full of extra live rock and other refugia.

I dose directly into the main tank. Never thought that it makes a difference as the bacteria will find a growth area.

Does it make a difference?

I don't think it makes much of a difference, on average, but if you're having problem with some reactor or media clogging with bacteria, I might try to move the dosing area away from the clogging.

Don't know if it makes a difference, it might . Vinegar and vodka are miscible and spread out. Vinegar dosed in bulk might dip the pH in some low flow areas if dosed there more vs high flow points.

Back