Lysmata amboinensis larva

sorry to kidnep, but trying to keep relevant...
Is it realy importent for the larvae to be fed live food? If not, why use BBS when more nutricious alternatives of marine origin (commonly fed to the fish) are available?

Only the smaller larvae are strongly phototropic.
BBS is the staple food for crustacea larvae.As you can see above I associate them with "more nutritious alternatives";)

Luis, i have just spent a while reading the whole thread. good work!! It seems like it has been a while since you updated. How is it going? Im thinking about jumping on the band wagon breeding these little critters.

Hi Luis!

I just found your thread by coincidence this morning and finished reading it now. Gonna be late for work, but who cares. I just wanted to say, that I really respect your work, please don't be discouraged by the setbacks! We can all be happy that we have people like you! I wish you the best of luck and hope that you can fine tune the art of breeding!

Thank you for watching!:)
I will start new runs after March ´09 (our summer vacations).This is a 5 months commitement and I need to be there all the time.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13699718#post13699718 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Luis A M
Thank you for watching!:)
I will start new runs after March ´09 (our summer vacations).This is a 5 months commitement and I need to be there all the time.

hahhah WOW that's definitely not 'just like clownfish'

And what do you know... Read the thread and low and behold it is March '09. Hey luis, ready to roll up them sleeves and get going? :)

Is that something on reefcentral or somewhere else?

Luis, was just reading... I saw something that said that Hydroids can come in on encapsulated BBS eggs. Was also mentioned that they grew them in a sterile water tank with only BBS eggs added, so, that, as far as the author was concerned, was a successful(?) lab experiment. That "might" explain where you’re getting them.

Whooops, ran across the Marine Ornamental Fish & Invert Breeders Association Forum and reading your post Luis. So, you don’t believe the hydroids are coming from the egg? (okay, I am only at page 3 now) Okay, so, now I have another question then. Instead of trying to find out, and or reinvent what the fry like/need to survive, has anyone gone to the source? Has anyone spent time where the shrimp are and dove for them? Looked around for baby shrimp, if that’s possible, lol. Watched them in their habitat? Shrimps that are getting busy every week or so, there HAS to be babies around all over the place somewhere!? Has anyone tracked their boundaries, current flow/directions, temps, water samples where they are found????

Maybe even a tracking color on one of the fry? :lol:

Well,I said:"after March";)

I started a thread in "Project DIBS" a site dedicated to invert breeding,which turned to be very interesting and conclusive.The subject was if hydroids could come in bs eggs.But unless our mod allows,I think we can´t link to other sites here...

And shrimp larvae "zoea" are planktonic,you won´t find them hanging near the adults on the bottom.The biology of plankton is difficult to evaluate with field observations and many times lab culturing these organisms is necessary.
Precisely what we are doing with our shrimps!:cool:

Linking to a thread that has a similar discussion on a different site is permitted and done often on RC. If it is a link simply to drive traffic to another site (ie: Hey, have you heard of this neat site? Go to www.checkitout.com today...), that's entirely different. Or if the link was to "luis_A_M_sells_aquacultured_shrimp.com", that would be a problem.

However, a discussion of IF hydroids appear because of feeding brine shrimp to a tank - that's totally fine, and if the thread is conclusive, even better.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14563132#post14563132 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Luis A M
Well,I said:"after March";)

Sorry, I was drooling for more information after the reading the thread and all I saw was "march". Guess I kind of jumped the gun, sorry about that, hurry up man!! :lol:

What about those hydroids? Are you going to sterilize everything this round? Have you evert hought about setting up a shrimp larve camp away from everything else, boiling the salt water berfore adding it to the tank, whashing the larve of (or dipping them) in something fresh before adding to the new tank? Those hydroids have to go!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14564567#post14564567 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Linking to a thread that has a similar discussion on a different site is permitted and done often on RC. If it is a link simply to drive traffic to another site (ie: Hey, have you heard of this neat site? Go to www.checkitout.com today...), that's entirely different. Or if the link was to "luis_A_M_sells_aquacultured_shrimp.com", that would be a problem.

However, a discussion of IF hydroids appear because of feeding brine shrimp to a tank - that's totally fine, and if the thread is conclusive, even better.

Hmmm,both are true,RC doesn´t want links to other sites but they are posted here frequently.And as we didn´t hear from Bill,I take your word and link,as the purpose is widening the knowledge base of RC users and not to try to spam other sites.
So here they go!
http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3091

http://www.reefstewardshipfoundation.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1899
or:
http://www.reefstewardshipfoundation.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1899&highlight=hydroids

As a trade off,I´ve been told that this thread is frequently referred to in other sites.Even if it is lengthy and boring,it remains the only documentation of all the larval stages of L.amboinensis. :cool:

Hi Luis :wavehand:

Melev is correct about linking ;)

BTW, I happen to agree with you on the hydroids. I think the real culprit is our fish rooms. Any of us that have gotten to the point of breeding suffer multiple tank syndrome, and most likely all have hydroids in our display tanks and broodstock tanks. I'd bet simply spray from airstones, splashing from water pumps, etc. is sufficient to spread such pests. It's known to happen with disease organisms, so why not hydroids.

Luis
I just found this great thread. Fantastic photos and documentation. Are you having any better success lately?

Back