magnesium issues

acrlee

Okay, so I have been lax on dosing and testing for a while, just kind of going with the flow and adding the same old regiment of the basic 2 part with CaCl & Na2Co3. I broke down and did some testing tonight just after the lights went off... (not planned for lights off, just did not get around till then). I also cracked open the brand new Mg test kit that has been sitting on the shelf for a couple weeks now. I've been leary of my old Mg test kit for a few months now after changing my additions up and down and not getting much for results corrisponding to the changes, so I was plesently surprized to see I was right with the new test kit. Well, I was at least happy to see I was right.

Ca testing around 400-420
Alk 9.0
Mg 875!

It seems erroring on the side of caution left me a little short.

So, my qestion is what would be the best meathod to get that Mg back up and how slow should I go? I have a nearly full 50 pound bag of MgCl and a bit of epsom salt on hand.

The system is 300 gallons give or take a few.

I would try and be sparing on the epsom salts due to the sulfates in them, and stick to a more refined mag solution. I use the Brightwell mag myself and have been very happy with the results.

Okay, I made up a 2 liter mix with 5 tbs MgCl and 3 Tbs MgSO4. Very slowly dripping ... I think I am going to go stop it over night just to be sure it doesn't drip too much.

Hey could Mg this low cause color loss in LPS? I have a acanth echinata that just up and turned white over the past week... not cool!

Pretty low and will take quite a bit to bring that mg level within range. Make sure that you monitor you SG levels so it does not rise too much. :D

Cheers,

I'd get a second opinion on the Mg test kit, too, since it might have gone bad. I agree that checking the SG level (and making sure the SG device is accurate) would be a good step.

I havnt ever test my mag. Do you have to dose mag? Why would you have to dose mag? How often do you dose it?

Magnesium gets used up along with caclium and carbonate . Calcifying organisms use it their skeletal mass. Depedning on how much is consumed you may have to dose it to maintain a natural seawater level which is 1285ppm. Most target 1300ppm or higher. If you do regular water changes and use a slat mix high in magnesium you may never have to dose it. Otherwise monthly tests and adjustments should be sufficient.

You are welcome,

I should have noted that magnesium also discourages a biotic precipitation of calcium carbonate and helps in maintaining adequately high levels of calcium and alkalinity.

I guess that would explain my marine snow I have had a problem with? I dose Kalk and keep my calcium level is usully around 420 - 500. I need to get a mag test. What is execptable levels of mag on the low end? Thanks again for the help.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15434839#post15434839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EdSnyder
I guess that would explain my marine snow I have had a problem with? I dose Kalk and keep my calcium level is usully around 420 - 500. I need to get a mag test. What is execptable levels of mag on the low end? Thanks again for the help.

Cacium will naturally precipatate out of the water when the concentration gets too high. If you are putting that much Kalk in you might want to keep track of pH also.

What time of day does everyone test for Ca, Mg, Alk? Does it make a difference? For some reason I am thinking it does, but that might just be something crazy I picked up along the way. I know pH definetly changes between the day night cycle, but what about the others?

My lights are getting older also.... that might have something to do with the color loss in a few of the pieces, but two of them are only at 11 months running on a 6.5 hr cycle. (250 12K reeflux HQI, Magnetic ballasts) The center light is a 400 watt 20K XM that is at least 18 months old on an 7.5 hr cycle for most of it. I got that bulb on a trade and the guy told me it was only a month old... so ya know how accurate that could be. It might be 24-30 months now?

I don't beleive it matters. I usually test right before dosing when I'm planning on dosing. Otherwise it's when it's convenient.

Back