making aqueon 20 L rimless ?

picked up a 20 long from petco, wondering with it not being very large if i can make it rimless without it exploding, at least the top rimless, and if i will need to do anything if so

anyone done this?

bump, no one has anything else to ad, just that it wont work? i feel like theres enough pictures of setup de-rimmed 20L when i google it that i might attempt it

How thick is the glass? A 20g is so small it may well work. I made my own 24g rimless frag tank, but I used 3/8th inch glass and it's only 10" tall.

The 20 long will be fine, the plastic trim is just to hide the imperfection of the glass.
if it had a center brace i might be worried, but it does not.

bump, no one has anything else to ad, just that it wont work? i feel like theres enough pictures of setup de-rimmed 20L when i google it that i might attempt it

The rim on the tank is a engineered part of how the tank stays together. The tank is not designed to be filled with water, without the rim. In other words, the tank is not engineered to be a rimless tank. Pulling the rim off is asking for a flood all over you living room. I am aware that many uninformed people remove the rims on these tanks, and much larger tanks..............they must like living dangerously. ;)

It takes hours searching the internet looking for the answer you want to hear. It only takes a few seconds for your happy pretty tank--to turn into a mess all over your floor.

ah more conflicting info!

i really like the size and dimensions of the 20 long but the black plastic trim seems thicker/more of a eye soar then most sizes

the dimensions are about 30.3" x 12.5" x 12.8"

My suggestion would be, if you like the rimless look, then purchase a tank that is engineered to be rimless. This tank would have thicker glass, be heavier, and if it blew apart--the builder would pay for the damages to your home.

+1 uncle's comment - get an aquarium that was designed to do the job you want it to do.

Safety is not determined by outcome, but rather by risk before the outcome is known.

I made my 20 gallon rimless in May. It lasted till September until it started leaking. I even made a nice little side sump area for my skimmer. She's in the trash now :)
2012-04-30_03-33-57_438_zpsa4e78a46.jpg

that looks cool but super thin, i didnt think the aqueon glass is that thin

also the 20 long is not very high, might make it better for de-rimming ? shallow = less water pressure.. kinda i guess its still the same volume

i was not planning on removing the bottom black plastic either

Last edited:
No rimmed tank is suitable for de-rimming. I cannot be made any clearer than that. It is in the engineering: it is engineered with the rim as an integral part of what holds the tank together. The answer is not going to change. :)

You can remove the top trim and euro brace it with glass for a look that is closer to "rimless" but you shouldn't take the rim off without reinforcing it somehow.

You can remove the top trim and euro brace it with glass for a look that is closer to "rimless" but you shouldn't take the rim off without reinforcing it somehow.

That assumes that the top edge is actually finished, most are just ragged edges waiting to chop up your hands and arms at the slightest provocation. Eurobracing won't do a thing to solve that issue. In the long run, if you want a rimless tank, go and buy a rimless tank. The tank is the small expense asscociated with this hobby.

As outlined above, the plastic rim and brace on a rimmed tank is not just for covering up the jagged edge; it adds structural integrity to the tank.

Find a rimless tank, measure the glass thickness, then find an equivalent tank with a rim. Now ask yourself, did they make the glass thicker just because they wanted to make it more expensive?

i was at a petsmart and the other day and it was kind of weird, they had a rimless standard 20 tall new with stand and it came that way from tetra or some other major tank seller, the glass didn't not look very thick, looked standard, should snap a pic next time im in there..

Back