Mantis Gathering Clumps of Cyano...?

ousnakebyte

Okay, I have a 5.5 nano with a mantis here at work (smasher is all I can tell you - have not taken the time to research ID yet...). He/she has been there for about 5 or 6 days now.

The tank has a small cyano outbreak - nothing major and shouldn't be too hard to remedy. Honestly, I think it's time for a water change.

Anyway, three times today, I have seen the little guy (gal?) come out from the rocks, gather up a small clump of cyano and take it back behind the rocks, up the rockwork, and into his/her favorite hole.

I know they will rearrange their environment, but I was under the impression this was mainly done with rocks, shells, etc. Does the mantis 'think' this clump f cyano is good building material...? Has anyone else seen something like or similar to this?

As an aside, he/she is the coolest friggin' thing I have ever seen... Keeps me (and my coworkers) entertained at work!

Cheers
Mike

my mantis also dose this, I thought it was normal he has a whole fort made out of different kinds of algae

Okay, I have a 5.5 nano with a mantis here at work (smasher is all I can tell you - have not taken the time to research ID yet...). He/she has been there for about 5 or 6 days now.

The tank has a small cyano outbreak - nothing major and shouldn't be too hard to remedy. Honestly, I think it's time for a water change.

Anyway, three times today, I have seen the little guy (gal?) come out from the rocks, gather up a small clump of cyano and take it back behind the rocks, up the rockwork, and into his/her favorite hole.

I know they will rearrange their environment, but I was under the impression this was mainly done with rocks, shells, etc. Does the mantis 'think' this clump f cyano is good building material...? Has anyone else seen something like or similar to this?

As an aside, he/she is the coolest friggin' thing I have ever seen... Keeps me (and my coworkers) entertained at work!

Cheers
Mike

I realize this is a 13 year old post. But I was doing some google searching to see if anyone else had this happen and apparently they did.

My peacock likes to do this as well...It honestly looks like he's eating it.

He picks up clumps at takes it to his cave.

Odontodactylids and gonodactylids often use algae to camouflage their burrows and cavities particularly when the right kind of rubble and shell isn't available. Sometimes this is associated with an approaching molt.

Roy

Back