maroon clownish has a white patch

stove

i got them less then a week ago. i dosed them with all natural treatments when i got them just to be sure i didn't pick something up at the lfs. but anyways today i saw that it has a white patch on its side. i don't know what it is but if someone could please tell me that would be great. im sad for the poor thing and i want to help it before it gets worse. im posting some pictures of it so it can help.

Attachments

• P1080468.JPG
    P1080468.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1080466.JPG
    P1080466.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 0
just to say a little more i had an aiptasia near where they sleep at night, and all where he seems to be during the day, i killed it yesterday but he usually keeps down low and out of sight unless i come over and then he comes out. he eats fine(the larger one picks at him though at feeding time) but i just think that's more of a dominance thing. but he really picks at his fins and tail. they eat garlic food. and i dosed the tank with an all propose reef safe liquid to maybe help.

Tagging along as I noticed a similar spot on one of my clowns today. Looks too big to be ich but I'm no expert. In the second pic it looks like a second smaller spot closer to the tail?

Me too. I just posted a similar thread with pics as well with no responses. The day after all the spots on mine seemed to have calmed down. Not fine away, but not as fluffy looking as when they first appeared. Very strange. Best pics I can find on line looks like brook, but they should already be dead if that were the case. I'm at a loss here & very frustrated, for all the work I've done going fallow & qt'ing & now this.

i don't know really what he has. i've treated it all. im not new to this whatsoever. but its the weirdest thing. i've studied it a little more and the the spot on his body is raised. and a little on the other side. where their little bone is on each side. (if that's a bone) and the tail thing is nothing. i have already payed a lot of attention on that. but all he seems to do is hang out by the bottom of the tank and not do much unless i feed them. he still eats though. not much but he eats :celeb3:

Looks like brook to me can't really tell, here what's you do...
Take a 5 gallon bucket fill it to about half...use tap water no rodi, remove chloramines, dip the fish in that water for about 2 to 5 minutes...once per night for 3 to 6 days...

Footnotes...
Catch the fish while he sleeps less stress for him and you
Use tap water, so its ph is about the same as the aquarium...
Remove cholaramines...
Don't panick if he goes to the bottom, doesn't move etc...most fishes will react like nothing but some do...if unsure make the first dip short say one minute..

The fish should be fine by the 3 to 5 bath...

I never lost a clown to a bath never and back in the day I did hundreds....

Goodluck

There are fishes that I never dip, like wrasses, but tangs and angels are good for bath too, but clownfish get brook like tangs get ich....

really you would use tap water??? also i read that just a fresh water dip does not treat brook. and i don't have access to tap water where i am. (i know really weird) but will just a normal fresh water dip with baking soda to raise the pH up a little help him?

Tap water is good ph wise no adjusting in my experience or use rodi and adjust, If using tap you have to remove chloramines.

just water would work on most, when it didn't and you will know after the first or second bath, I would and still use quickcure [malachite green and formalin] very little. I use about 3 drops for 2 gallons, I mix it, and then dip, 2 to 3 minutes. Don't do more you could burn their gills, bare in mind we are using a super low concentration, this stuff is no joke.

This will do it for the worst cases, I still opt for water alone first most case go away with it..a healthy fish was is always my moto.
I am not a vet, but worked many years in a very good lfs, and clowns would come with brook all the time, long trip, varied temps etc...
Never lost one to it...

alright well i lowered the salinity in the tank a little. il do more later tonight and tomorrow. il pick up some quick cure later too so see if it'l do the job. il post back though if the lower salinity helps any. it seems as it might cause the maroon was playing in the new fresh water when i came out the return. but still just goes back down to the bottom. im just glad i don't have this issue with my other tanks. (30 lps &sps) and 12 seahorse. but i have a video of the tank if anyone wants to see it, the link is below.
http://youtu.be/PK_iNQy4Sz0

I wouldn't have much faith in that as a long teerm remedy, even if its not very hard to catch your fish.

If you bath the fish and then return him to where? The same infected tank so he can catch it again?

Trust me ill work just fine, he might have to give a bath to the other clown...this is not ich. If he attacks it now he wont have any problems, even of it spreads it might only spread to the other clown...if it is brook that is.
Stove: i wish luck brother, one very easy other option is to take him out and back to the lfs and explain it to them, they might give him the baths and keep it for a few days...no harm in asking or a fellow reefer close to you with a qt might do it.
I have a 10 qt that i keep up 24/7 nowadays. I havent add nothing for a year or so, but i am almost always treating somebody elses fish.

alright well im going to put out an update. i lowered the senility in the tank all the way down to 1.021. and all he does is lay down in the sand. i turned off all my circulation pumps and power heads, but not the sump, and he just lays there. idk what to do. i did a freshwater dip for about 30 seconds and this is all he has done. the other fish is all out and about. but the other one is active and everything. he has the same thing on the other side. and its on his lateral line. not as bad on the one side as the new side. here is another picture of him just laying down between 2 rocks after i turned off most the flow.

Attachments

• P1080478.JPG
    P1080478.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 0
well now all he does is refuse to get up, swim around, and eat. it just tricks his arms out at a 90* angle and lays down in the rocks. i fed them and he did nothing also :headwalls: idk what to do anymore. he is also swimming all around disorientated. i moved him to a large glass bowl with air bubbles (water from the tank) because he kept going behind the rocks and i couldn't find hum. but he doesn't eat or anything.

Last edited:
he is also starting to get discolored in his lower stomach area. its turning orange bear his belly.

yeah he died. every fish i get at that lfs has something. i called the manager and the regional manager and they are replacing all my live stock and going to the distributor to find the issue. apparently the lfs had a lot of fish mysteriously have the same problem. so (don't buy anything from petco) and i think you'l be alright.

Back