Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

There's a video on page 11 of him removing and installing the LEDs.

Let's talk about optics for a second. These don't appear to have the optic style that's I'm use to. How do you remove them? Can you just rip off the small plastic/glass dome over each emitter? Are they easy to remove?

Last time I DIY LEDs for the tank we were all using CREEs on starboards and the optics just pushed on.
lens%203.jpg

Right, I'm not familiar with optics myself. I took mine off completely to get a better coverage for my 40 breeder. 40 breeders aren't that deep so optics aren't needed for my tank.
I just twisted and pulled a little to take them off. There's a little glue holding them on but easy to remove. Not sure about putting them back on because I didn't put them back on.

Right, I'm not familiar with optics myself. I took mine off completely to get a better coverage for my 40 breeder. 40 breeders aren't that deep so optics aren't needed for my tank.
I just twisted and pulled a little to take them off. There's a little glue holding them on but easy to remove. Not sure about putting them back on because I didn't put them back on.
Cool thanks. I too have a 40B, but I bought the 300W version. Think you have the smaller one? Regardless, I'm probably taking off the optics. As you said, I'm not worried about penetration with a 40B. It's more about coverage. Advantage number 2 would be helping mix the LEDs color together.

Cool thanks. I too have a 40B, but I bought the 300W version. Think you have the smaller one? Regardless, I'm probably taking off the optics. As you said, I'm not worried about penetration with a 40B. It's more about coverage. Advantage number 2 would be helping mix the LEDs color together.

No I actually missed out on the 300wt version lol didn't know there was a 300w. So I have the 165. I tried to justify my purchase by saying it looks cleaner over the tank with the 165 then the long 300w lol

Helpful tip for removing old diodes - use a metal paperclip and unbend one loop and you can then slide that under one end of the diode connector you want to remove and it will help to lift it off the board (easier than using tweezers imo)

Helpful tip for removing old diodes - use a metal paperclip and unbend one loop and you can then slide that under one end of the diode connector you want to remove and it will help to lift it off the board (easier than using tweezers imo)

L shaped tweezers are what I use lol its in the video of me removing them. Easier then a paperclip in my opinion.

The video I posted on page 11 shows what I use and how I use it as leverage to take the diode off. Skip to 4:46 and it show how I remove it

yea i think im going to try this also...im thinking of swapping out the reds and greens too...i think they dont do anything.....and put in some uv purples...thanks Isaacs55 for the video

yea i think im going to try this also...im thinking of swapping out the reds and greens too...i think they dont do anything.....and put in some uv purples...thanks Isaacs55 for the video

No problem glad i can help. Just note that red and greens are part of the light spectrum and do bring out some colors of corals and are needed for some degree of coral growth, but for me I'm not that satisfied with the reflection of the colors in the water column which Is why I took mine out. Reds also help algae grow, good or bad algae. Greens bring out the colors and make them more vivid. But again I'm still not a fan which is why I took mine out.
Hope that clarifies things.

As soon as I switched the reds on mine I started seeing less algae growth on the glass and sand bed.

Really? I heard that once. They hadn't switched them, they simply covered the Reds with tape... Their reason, algae... I may have to do something about that...

Wondering if I should switch all four of them out. lol I realize we're trying to maintain a full spectrum here, but I've read (and it seems reasonable) that the warm whites provide a sufficient amount of the red spectrum. And while I too was a little hesitant about running those yellow-ish warm whites, I'm willing to give them a chance.

If you've been searching eBay for these lights, you've likely come across the plant grow lights, made by the same/similar companies. If you'll notice they're always extremely red/pink colored. And they grow green plants. So it would seem reasonable to think green hair algae would love that spectrum too.

Interestingly enough, the WiFi version of the MarAqua 165W had four red LEDs instead of the two on the non-WiFi version. I have four, but because I'm using the 300W model. Well I ordered a 5-pack of 420nm Bridgelux emitters. So I'll be swapping at least two of the reds out for certain.

Ummm I'm not too sure with your black box because its not the same as the mars aqua at all...they should work but don't quote me on that. From what I could read on your specific light is your drivers only push 480ma-530ma (mili amp) which means that your 3w LEDs are being under driven. Your LEDs are only getting 2 watts and not the full 3 watt which also means your light is only rated for a 110w unit and that's at full power. And it looks like your only getting 30,000 hours out of this unit instead of 50,000 like the mars aqua. This isn't bad if your tank is 25-30 gallon display tank. But if you only have 1 of these lights over a bigger tank it won't be good for a reef tank.

Hope this clarifies any questions about your light and the ability to grow coral.

^^ Thanks, for pointing that out. I have it on a 30g, and its not overly bright actually. I'm not very impressed with the light quality, but maybe if I change the warm white and some of the reds, it would improve. Otherwise, I'll dump it and get something else.

^^ Thanks, for pointing that out. I have it on a 30g, and its not overly bright actually. I'm not very impressed with the light quality, but maybe if I change the warm white and some of the reds, it would improve. Otherwise, I'll dump it and get something else.

Doesn't hurt to try. That's what's great about these lights is that they work and they are cheap lol if something happens or isn't right just buy another one lol

Hope it works out for you bud! Keep us posted.

Im pulling two of the four reds in the 300W fixture for violets. 420nm. We'll see where that takes me.

im in the same boat as you ...i have the 300 watt fixture too and thinking of swapping out the reds as well...but i will do all 4 with the uv.... i think uv will give more pop the the stupid reds...lol...and maybe less algae..please post how you think it looks when your done ...

Back