Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

Isaac, I just ordered 50 of the 6500k and 50 10k. Also 20 of the uv. I have 4 of the 300watt fixtures. I'll test one and see how I like some changes then may do the same to some other leds fixtures I have. My tank is 145"x32x43 so I'll see how the 4 cover, then work from there

Sweet! I hope you like the results man!

My wife and I got these lights for our 125 in June and overall have really enjoyed them. Our tank is 20" deep so I am now interested in seeing what the PAR readings are, ours are also at 18" above the water so I don't expect that to differ.

My wife does want to switch to T5 because her eyes don't handle the "shimmer".

Hello guys, i am new to the forum, i have a 36" 50 gal acrylics with some fish but two corals i am hoping to expand wit some more, i got one of these light on Amazon, and i love it. I am still figuring out the height from water currently is at 6" above water, but im thinking of removing my hood and hang the fixture. Can you guys give me some input, the lights in the pic are at 30% whites and 50% blues with purples at 0%, by the way these are fully programble Android or IOS

The pics look dark but beleive me the lights bright up the tank, i just want some recomendstions on height for spread

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0
To use these with apex, do you need a module from apex?

Actually in order to use the full neptune apex function with these lights you have to mod them. If you go back on page 8 Swope2bc made a quick right up on how to do that to get the full dimming controls and what not from the apex.
If you don't you can still use the apex like timers on and off, auto so they come on whatever times you program them to.

Which fixture would you guys recommend for a 40 Breeder? It's mixed reef with it's share of SPS. Fixture will be hanging from the ceiling.

Which fixture would you guys recommend for a 40 Breeder? It's mixed reef with it's share of SPS. Fixture will be hanging from the ceiling.

I would go with the 300w Blackbox with 3w LEDs. There is a 300w on the market with 5w LEDs but it is more compact and doesn't have the same coverage.

What height above a 30 breeder (36"*18"*12" tall) should I hang the 300w unit? I currently have it sitting at 9" above the rim of the aquarium but there is no water in it yet.

What height above a 30 breeder (36"*18"*12" tall) should I hang the 300w unit? I currently have it sitting at 9" above the rim of the aquarium but there is no water in it yet.

There are a few variables to determine this. Because the unit is dimmable it's mostly aesthetics in a tank of your depth. What looks best to you and is the easiest to work with. At 10" above the water you could have acceptable par readings as deep as 20". Set the height to give you the best visual effect with light spread and general tank appearance and then adjust the intensity of light for your tank.

Correction, only TWO sizes made?!

You were correct before, there are 3 sizes that I've seen. 65W which covers 24"x24", 300w with 3w LEDs which covers (they say 48") 36"x24" perfectly, and the more intense 300w with 5w LEDs which covers 24"x24" but can accommodate 36" if the optics are removed and will leave shadowing at the edges depending on rock work.

There may be others but I have not seen them.

If I want to run these lights on my 55 gallon tank that is 48X13X20, would you guys suggest getting one 300w light or would you recommend getting 2 165w lights. I would rather have the 1 300w light as it would be easier to hang/mount but I want to make sure that it would be enough light for my tank. I want to be able to keep SPS, LPS and anemone with no problem. If you guys think the two 165w lights would be better, can you please explain what would be some good ideas of mounting it over a 48 inch tank.

Just bought the 300W for my 40B. So we'll see how it goes. I'm already thinking of modding it. I'd like to maybe swap out at least two of the red LEDs for UV and maybe two of the greens for Violet. If anyone has any links/input on swapping out the Epistar chips for similar ones, that would be awesome. Are the emitters on the MarsAqua units 700mA? Voltage? Things like that. Hopefully it's a straight swap. I'd rather not have to have a separate driver for them (the UV chips) or anything.

I'll probably be removing the optics off the LEDs too. On a 40B, I'll want the coverage and am not too worried about penetration.

Last edited:
See I'm buying my marsaqua because of the unit is so cheap pretty much. I'm a DIY person so when mine gets here I'm changing out the 5 soft white leds for 5 UV 420nm 3w leds. Probably change some of the cool whites that are 12,000k to 14-20,000k. Super easy and will cost me less then 5 dollars. Maybe change out the fans also. I want to be able to grow all sps so I only have to change a few to get my results. I'll get that extra shimmer effect with 20,000k leds
Did you end up swapping any out? Pictures? Notes?
I swapped out a few diodes on my AquaStars' and they only costs like $0.17 each off eBay :)

Here I am working hard at the office on reef stuff
25e0c027555df8a1881cda5eb5a43d35.jpg
Got any more pictures? Which UV emitters did you end up buying? You just unsoldered whichever ones you wanted and solder the UV ones in their place?

Back