Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

na its cool...i understand completely...about the uv...i know its hard to see and when its pure uv.. cant really tell its there...im thinking i want more of a purple (actinic) look..like kinda adding actinc t5s with the leds....like most people do...lol...just trying to get the same results..kinda...

Then you wanna use 420-425nm. I had 400-405nm and they were pretty much useless...I mean you could see that they were there, but not doing too much.

It's been stated by me and a few others on this thread that UV is only for sterilizes which are generally enclosed by black pvc.

I am happy to see some other uv nazis on here like me. When people call 400-430 nm violet diodes "UV" it is like nails on a chalk board. It's like calling the 660 nm red diodes "infrared". Manufacturers only do it because ultraviolet just sounds zippier than violet. Doesn't make it right though. Most modern schools of thought actually believe the whole "UV-A is what causes corals to color up because it's their sunscreen" idea is totally bunk anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281553749262?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

These.. Which have Channel 1: Cool white(10000-14000K), Neutral whites(6500-7500K), Warm white(3500-4500K), Violet 420nm, Green 520nm and Deep red 660nm. Channel 2: Blue 460nm and Royal blues 450nm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SunSpect-2p...ll-Spectrum-/281627926932?hash=item4192552194

Or These which have Channel 1: Cool white(10000-14000K), Neutral whites(6500-7500K), Warm white(3500-4500K), Green 520nm and Deep red 660nm.
Channel 2: Blue 460nm and Royal blues 450nm, Violet 420nm.

The two differences are Violet is in the different channels..

or these..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Dimmab...8771177?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item5658e7c2e9

Which ones should I get... and why...

Thanks

The mars doesnt even have violet at all. But they have blue in the 1st channel.. didnt know if it was important or not.

I really think something fishy is up with the pictures/description of these fixtures. I posted about it a page or two back. Some of the pictures clearly show violet colored LEDs. Maybe it's the camera faking me out and it's the royal blue. But once I received my fixture, ALL the blues look identical, in person or in the pictures I've taken. There's ZERO difference between the blues and royal blues and NONE of them show up violet in pictures.

JM, it's worth noting the Sunspect fixtures have four reds in those little guys vs the two on the MarsAqua. Though nobody is an expert in this field yet, it's generally thought that the red spectrum isn't all that important unless you're trying to grow an algae farm. If you'll also note, most of us are swapping out the LEDs to whatever color scheme we personally want. They're cheap and easy to do.

I really think something fishy is up with the pictures/description of these fixtures. I posted about it a page or two back. Some of the pictures clearly show violet colored LEDs. Maybe it's the camera faking me out and it's the royal blue. But once I received my fixture, ALL the blues look identical, in person or in the pictures I've taken. There's ZERO difference between the blues and royal blues and NONE of them show up violet in pictures.

JM, it's worth noting the Sunspect fixtures have four reds in those little guys vs the two on the MarsAqua. Though nobody is an expert in this field yet, it's generally thought that the red spectrum isn't all that important unless you're trying to grow an algae farm. If you'll also note, most of us are swapping out the LEDs to whatever color scheme we personally want. They're cheap and easy to do.

The Sunspect has two different onces. The first one I posted has 2 reds and the second one has 4 reds. Also the Sunspect has Blue, Royal Blues, and Violets.

The Mars has blue in the first and second channels with addition of royal blues in the second as well..

Are you saying you dont notice a difference with the different shade blues? I am confused on why they are putting the blues in the both channels.. They do that on the mars and the first sunspect light I posted.

I see what the description says. I'm saying:

A) Most every picture of ANY of these fixtures show violet colored LEDs in the picture, but I didn't get that and it doesn't seem others did either. Be it real violet LEDs OR a camera trick, it doesn't happen once in the end user's hands.

B) AND I notice zero difference between blue and royal blue. Both in the photographs I take or in person. I can tell all three of the whites apart and obviously the reds/greens, but the blues are identical.

As for why one has blues on chan 1, who knows. It's not a big deal as you're ALWAYS going to want some blue in your tank. It's personal preference, but nobody is going to want chan 1 on full blast all white and chan 2 completely off. Don't know why they did that and it's certainly not important.

The violets are IMO though. Being as I've got some on the way, I'm not too worried about that.... but I would be ****ed off if I learned the fixture I bought actually has all blue or all royal blue LEDs.

Side note, the Cyans I ordered AFTER the violets are here. Still waiting on the violets. But 7 days from China for the Cyans is DAMN impressive! Once the violets arrive, I'll solder a few of both in and make sure I'm happy with them. If I'm satisfied that I was actually sent the proper stuff, I'll order from the same sellers again and probably get both blue and royal blue to install and see what the heck the rest of the MarsAqua fixture came with. This is the seller I ordered the Cyans from. I've also noticed his "estimated arrival dates" are quite a bit quicker than any other seller out of China for some reason.

Last edited:
I see what the description says. I'm saying:

A) Most every picture of ANY of these fixtures show violet colored LEDs in the picture, but I didn't get that and it doesn't seem others did either. Be it real violet LEDs OR a camera trick, it doesn't happen once in the end user's hands.

B) AND I notice zero difference between blue and royal blue. Both in the photographs I take or in person. I can tell all three of the whites apart and obviously the reds/greens, but the blues are identical.

As for why one has blues on chan 1, who knows. It's not a big deal as you're ALWAYS going to want some blue in your tank. It's personal preference, but nobody is going to want chan 1 on full blast all white and chan 2 completely off. Don't know why they did that and it's certainly not important.

The violets are IMO though. Being as I've got some on the way, I'm not too worried about that.... but I would be ****ed off if I learned the fixture I bought actually has all blue or all royal blue LEDs.

Side note, the Cyans I ordered AFTER the violets are here. Still waiting on the violets. But 7 days from China for the Cyans is DAMN impressive! Once the violets arrive, I'll solder a few of both in and make sure I'm happy with them. If I'm satisfied that I was actually sent the proper stuff, I'll order from the same sellers again and probably get both blue and royal blue to install and see what the heck the rest of the MarsAqua fixture came with. This is the seller I ordered the Cyans from. I've also noticed his "estimated arrival dates" are quite a bit quicker than any other seller out of China for some reason.

So you think I should go with the Sunspect over the mars because the mares dont have violet i dont think.

yea i ordered the violets and 10000k myself...going to replace the reds with violets..and some of the yellowish leds with the 10000k...not sure about the greens yet... maybe replace them with the 10000ks as well....

So you think I should go with the Sunspect over the mars because the mares dont have violet i dont think.

no they dont just blues and royal blues...but the pic makes it look like it does...lol....its all in your preference as far as what kind of lighting and colors you want...either one would look fine imo....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281553749262?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

These.. Which have Channel 1: Cool white(10000-14000K), Neutral whites(6500-7500K), Warm white(3500-4500K), Violet 420nm, Green 520nm and Deep red 660nm. Channel 2: Blue 460nm and Royal blues 450nm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SunSpect-2p...ll-Spectrum-/281627926932?hash=item4192552194

Or These which have Channel 1: Cool white(10000-14000K), Neutral whites(6500-7500K), Warm white(3500-4500K), Green 520nm and Deep red 660nm.
Channel 2: Blue 460nm and Royal blues 450nm, Violet 420nm.

The two differences are Violet is in the different channels..

or these..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Dimmab...8771177?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item5658e7c2e9

Which ones should I get... and why...

Thanks
I went mars for my brackish but for my sps I have sunspect for the preferred spectrum. You can easily swap diodes though to get a better color for both you and your corals, greens are useless

Thanks for all the information.I have a quick question.what light should I put on a 29 gallon traditional,just one or two or the longer one.thanks

I went mars for my brackish but for my sps I have sunspect for the preferred spectrum. You can easily swap diodes though to get a better color for both you and your corals, greens are useless

Hey which sunspect should I get.

Which has Channel 1: Cool white(10000-14000K), Neutral whites(6500-7500K), Warm white(3500-4500K), Green 520nm and Deep red 660nm. and Channel 2: Blue 460nm and Royal blues 450nm, Violet 420nm.

But it has 4 reds which I dont want that to cause algae

or this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/281553749262?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

which has Channel 1: Cool white(10000-14000K), Neutral whites(6500-7500K), Warm white(3500-4500K), Violet 420nm, Green 520nm and Deep red 660nm.
☆ Channel 2: Blue 460nm and Royal blues 450nm.

This only has 2 reds

Thanks

Hey which sunspect should I get.

Which has Channel 1: Cool white(10000-14000K), Neutral whites(6500-7500K), Warm white(3500-4500K), Green 520nm and Deep red 660nm. and Channel 2: Blue 460nm and Royal blues 450nm, Violet 420nm.

But it has 4 reds which I dont want that to cause algae

or this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/281553749262?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

which has Channel 1: Cool white(10000-14000K), Neutral whites(6500-7500K), Warm white(3500-4500K), Violet 420nm, Green 520nm and Deep red 660nm.
☆ Channel 2: Blue 460nm and Royal blues 450nm.

This only has 2 reds

Thanks
Personally I like the first but if you're really worried about red go for the second, mine hasn't been up long enough to see algae growth

and like everyone has said here before you can always change the leds (emitter) to a different color...if you dont like what it looks like...it seems to be pretty easy to do....

so is this light good enough to run all SPS on a 55 gallon tank, I have two of them without changing out any of the LEDS and leaving the color the way it is.

I see a lot of people changing out the color, I am wondering if that's just for better looking for your eyes or for the corals.

I will be having SPS all over my tank and I want to make sure these 2 165w lights will be good enough for it. Also I had one person suggestion 50-60% of blues and then whatever I want of white. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I greatly appreciate all the help I can get.

Back