Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

Cool guys thanks for the info.. I think I just going to go with mars for now cause I like hacking stuff. Maybe it doesn't matter but I probably be tearing it apart eventually anyways and I won't feel as bad if it was a cheaper model. hehe.

A quick question... Is anyone here growing zoa under this lights at about 18"? My zoas are amazing but I feel like they are growing slow... On the other side the sps are growing 1/4" every week and a half... After a week I got 4 new branches on my orange digitata... I'm sure it's not all about the water, I think the lights are a huge deal for zoas... What is your zoa setup with this lights?

Thanks!

Are the lights in that thread MarsAquas? The thing I need to find out first is if they internally use a 0..10V or a PWM signal.

As I understand it the Chinese Black Box LEDs are all PWM. The walk through I wrote details the necessary change in order to go from PWM to 0-10v. If you are unsure it should say on your LED power supplies wether they are PWM or 0-10v.

This comes out to be about $200 cheaper than the Photon I was thinking of getting. Do you think the two pack would be enough light for an LPS/macro planted 120 gal tank?
30.gif
41.gif
40.gif
They will if you turn the lights really down and mount them high above the tank... I'm getting 200 PAR at the bottom of the tank on 50%blue and 10% white. You will have to adjust them on order not to burn your lps. On the other side the sps grow like crazy...

They will if you turn the lights really down and mount them high above the tank... I'm getting 200 PAR at the bottom of the tank on 50%blue and 10% white. You will have to adjust them on order not to burn your lps. On the other side the sps grow like crazy...

That guy is a bot...

well got my led chips today...10000k and violets....so now have to see if i got the balls to try and change these out...lol....thanks to isaacs55 and firebirdude i might be able to do this.....

well got my led chips today...10000k and violets....so now have to see if i got the balls to try and change these out...lol....thanks to isaacs55 and firebirdude i might be able to do this.....
It is very easy, I recommend getting a pair of angled locking hemostat, they work very well in this application

Oh I didn't see that... I have the forum on taptalk... I only see txt.

I also use taptalk, but the random lettered names that quote old messages from the thread with pictures that don't show up are basically always bots.. I report them every time I see them. They usually go away for a bit and then come back with another random name a few weeks later...

My lamp build is finished

My lamp build is finished

Dear all,

I finished the build of the lamps for my frag tank and main tank.

My main Tank (as a room divider) has the following size: 51" x 31" x 23" (Water Depth).
My propagation tank has the following size: 48" x 20" x 16" (water depth).

For the Frag Tank I used two 165 W Mars Aqua and for the Main Tank three of them.

LED Swapping on all five modules:
- All Warm white, red and green went out.
- The four warm whites in the edges were substitute by 10.000K LEDs
- The other two warm whites were substitute by 20.000K LEDs
- The green and red LEDs were substituted by 420nm LEDs
- I removed all lenses

Extra Wiring between the modules:

- In order not to have to attach the power lines to all modules separate I connected the Modules between each other with an own power cord (5 lines)
- With a multi tool I cut the holes into the frames in order to get the cable through
- The connection I did with crimping
- For the main tank I also directly connected the power cord with crimps in order not to have the plugs point out at the top

Mounting of lights
- In order to mount the lights with steel cable from ATI to the ceiling I made a frame out of black aluminum profiles (30x30mm)
- I removed the four golden hooks of the original mounts

Attached you can see some pics of the light of my propagation tank.

For the Main tank I plan to swap the fans because I would like to have something significant more silent.

Do you have a tip which ones to use?

Thank you.

Regards,

Christian

Attachments

• IMG_9069.jpg
    IMG_9069.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9074.jpg
    IMG_9074.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9075.JPG
    IMG_9075.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9071.jpg
    IMG_9071.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9078.JPG
    IMG_9078.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 1
Great thread you all. It is nice to know there are other reasonably priced options out there. I'm very interested in the modifications everyone has been making. Keep posting!!!!

I guess next thing on the topic is to talk growth rates fort different species... My staghorn is growing slowly but the montiporas and digitata are e exploding... All the lps and polyps are doing great.

Dear all,

I finished the build of the lamps for my frag tank and main tank.

My main Tank (as a room divider) has the following size: 51" x 31" x 23" (Water Depth).
My propagation tank has the following size: 48" x 20" x 16" (water depth).

For the Frag Tank I used two 165 W Mars Aqua and for the Main Tank three of them.

LED Swapping on all five modules:
- All Warm white, red and green went out.
- The four warm whites in the edges were substitute by 10.000K LEDs
- The other two warm whites were substitute by 20.000K LEDs
- The green and red LEDs were substituted by 420nm LEDs
- I removed all lenses

Extra Wiring between the modules:

- In order not to have to attach the power lines to all modules separate I connected the Modules between each other with an own power cord (5 lines)
- With a multi tool I cut the holes into the frames in order to get the cable through
- The connection I did with crimping
- For the main tank I also directly connected the power cord with crimps in order not to have the plugs point out at the top

Mounting of lights
- In order to mount the lights with steel cable from ATI to the ceiling I made a frame out of black aluminum profiles (30x30mm)
- I removed the four golden hooks of the original mounts

Attached you can see some pics of the light of my propagation tank.

For the Main tank I plan to swap the fans because I would like to have something significant more silent.

Do you have a tip which ones to use?

Thank you.

Regards,

Christian
The yellow Silenx ones. Think they come in red too.

Back