Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

oh I remember one thing I was reading is if you have one then it might limit you to what corals you can put in particular place underneath the lamp. Not that maybe its a big deal I guess the needy corals have to be in the center and less needy to the ends etc. Make sense?

You will not be limited at all on corals, even high light demand corals will need to be properly acclimated or you could burn them. This light will grow any SPS, LPS, or soft corals. I would go with the 165W on your tank

I just got my first MarsAqua 165 W unit and the light output is quite impressive. I hope my anemones and corals will like it. I plan to test it first over my 42 gallon tank.

Now I just need to modify it for 0..10V control to hook it up to my apex. Where would I find the schematics or modifying instructions for MarsAqua models? (Sorry, no time right now to read through 500+ posts.)

Check my link in post 230, let me know if you have questions.

Hey thanks for the input. I like the idea of being able to mod these things as well for apex controller or maybe something compatible if I decided to go that route.

Do you know does that void the warranty or is it just don't ask don't tell sort of deal? :)

Not that I guess your out a lot of money anyway... which is sort of the advantage of doing this to a cheap light.

Ugh, every time i get ready to pull the trigger on one light I find another option to consider.

I have a 48 inch wide tank 120g, was about to buy the reef breeder Photon 48.
Now am looking at these Mars/Sunspect.

How is this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/165w-MarsAq...ull-Spectrum-LPS-SPS-Coral-Reef-/370857093101
and how does it compare to the Sunspects that seem the same for twice the price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SunSpect-2p...ll-Spectrum-/281627926932?hash=item4192552194

If i go with the MARS or Sunspect, I would get two for my 120G and its still cheaper than the REEF BREEDER. I like that REEF BREEDER is local in CT.

Are these lights comparable or is the REEF BREEDER worth the extra coin for any reason or is it worth saving the money with a product just as good.

This light dilemma is driving me nuts ha

Hey thanks for the input. I like the idea of being able to mod these things as well for apex controller or maybe something compatible if I decided to go that route.

Do you know does that void the warranty or is it just don't ask don't tell sort of deal? :)

Not that I guess your out a lot of money anyway... which is sort of the advantage of doing this to a cheap light.

If you squire the correct connectors you will. It void the warranty. In that car the wires you cut will be the ones you've added.

Has anyone come across a MARS or similar that is closer to 48 inch long instead of having to buy 2 24 inch?

thanks

ok so I was originally planing on building my own LED lights but at the rate things are going I never get done with the project. However at the cost of some of the fancy lights I would get a heart attack... So I looking at this LED light for a 29 Gallon. Would it be better to go with just one 165W, 2 165W, or go to the one 300W like I'm thinking. It just seems like one 165W wouldn't be quite enough for a 29 gallon. Or Should I be looking at something different all together? lol Preferably I like to have have the lights as quiet as reasonable. So if a different brand is quieter I like to know, but I like that they at least show what the noise level is on these. Although I not sure if that gives me an idea how loud it is either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370857093101?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390885496493?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
1 is more than enough 8 inches above my 29

Wondering if anyone has a pic of the actual LED layout on the 165w fixture? Im basically looking for a kelvin schematic. Im going to switch out some of the LEDs, but cant seem to find an actual image stating what kelvin each LED bulb was... Hope someone could help..thanx in advance..

Thanks guys.. So in general is everyone pretty happy with them at least for the cost of mars LEDs or is it worth spending a bit more money?

Well all I know is SB seems to have a different LED configuration they say is better. I see that some folks on this thread have just changed out some of the LEDs on their china units as they felt fit. etc. I wasn't sure if it was worth the extra money for them or not otherwise myself at this point.

so SB Reef Lights' spectrum is better than Mars Aqua light's spectrum?
They claim to but honestly their upgrades to me don't justify their end price. If you're going to go up in price like that check out ocean revive. Unless I get an ocean revive I'd rather buy marsaqua and swap what I want.

Thanks guys.. So in general is everyone pretty happy with them at least for the cost of mars LEDs or is it worth spending a bit more money?
I like mine, great for the price, ocean revive would be my next choice which is at a higher price point but build quality is much better imo and worth the extra cash

Lol,ocean revive,mars aqua,reef radiance,reef breeders and SB reef lights are selling Chinese black box lights,but their spectrums are different,Does anyone know which spectrum is great for corals growth?

No need to add the red back in, the warm and neutral whites produce more than enough red. As far as royal blue vs blue there is a noticeable difference. My royal blues look like blue mixed with a purple. The blues are just blue, and my violets are darker purple and then the lower nm starts turning pinkish
Like I said previous, maybe it's because I have the optics off mine and I'm staring right at the actual diode itself. Maybe if the diode was lighting up the whole face of an optic, I'd then be able to see a difference in colors. But I'm not about to tear it apart again to add a few optics on to check, then remove em.
wow firebirdude nice write up....that sucks that you cant tell a differece in the blues...and the violets i would think you should see some purple....what wave length did you get....
420nm

They never require you send the fixture back to them for warranty service, so who cares.

Back