Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

Any pics of the actual tank so we can see how the lighting looks?

Hi!

In the attachement you can see some pics from today which I have made with my Iphone.

Thank you for the tipp with fans!

Regards,

Christian

Last edited:
Thank you!

On the page before I posted the description and some pics of the lights of my frag tank.

Regards,

Christian

Dear all,

I finished the build of the lamps for my frag tank and main tank.

My main Tank (as a room divider) has the following size: 51" x 31" x 23" (Water Depth).
My propagation tank has the following size: 48" x 20" x 16" (water depth).

For the Frag Tank I used two 165 W Mars Aqua and for the Main Tank three of them.

LED Swapping on all five modules:
- All Warm white, red and green went out.
- The four warm whites in the edges were substitute by 10.000K LEDs
- The other two warm whites were substitute by 20.000K LEDs
- The green and red LEDs were substituted by 420nm LEDs
- I removed all lenses

Extra Wiring between the modules:

- In order not to have to attach the power lines to all modules separate I connected the Modules between each other with an own power cord (5 lines)
- With a multi tool I cut the holes into the frames in order to get the cable through
- The connection I did with crimping
- For the main tank I also directly connected the power cord with crimps in order not to have the plugs point out at the top

Mounting of lights
- In order to mount the lights with steel cable from ATI to the ceiling I made a frame out of black aluminum profiles (30x30mm)
- I removed the four golden hooks of the original mounts

Attached you can see some pics of the light of my propagation tank.

For the Main tank I plan to swap the fans because I would like to have something significant more silent.

Do you have a tip which ones to use?

Thank you.

Regards,

Christian

Quick question about mounting height:

I see that everyone is running these pretty high off the top of the tank. My problem is that I've got a standard 75 gallon with a low canopy top, where I only have 3.5" of room between the tank top, and the underside of the hood hinges.

Is anyone running these right on top of the tank? (or in effect, about 1" above the tank top?)

I'm looking at picking up two of the 165w lights, and don't really want to buy/build a new canopy if I don't have to.

Thoughts?

I see that everyone is running these pretty high off the top of the tank. My problem is that I've got a standard 75 gallon with a low canopy top, where I only have 3.5" of room between the tank top, and the underside of the hood hinges.

Is anyone running these right on top of the tank? (or in effect, about 1" above the tank top?)

I'm looking at picking up two of the 165w lights, and don't really want to buy/build a new canopy if I don't have to.

Thoughts?

Not mine. I have mine literally right in the tank. The lights sit on a 4 inch wide peice of glass that I cut and laid across the tank to fit perfectly.

@Isaacs55 - Thanks for the picture showing the light spread.

I just placed my order for the 2 fixtures a minute ago, but it looks like I might also need to find some low rise 90 degree power cords, as I will only have about 1" above the fixture. I'm not sure the stock cords will bend enough to fit. It might work... will wait and see here in a few days once they show up.

(side note - I might hack these with an ESP-8266 to add WiFi dimming... it looks like these lights are PWM controlled best I can tell.)

Not mine. I have mine literally right in the tank. The lights sit on a 4 inch wide peice of glass that I cut and laid across the tank to fit perfectly.

Which ones did you get Isaac? The 165?
Also the childproof door knob is adorable!
I think you can grow nice acroporas in the middle and some lps... fungia, favites and shrooms on the side? I got the 300w for my 40g and it's bright everywhere... I have to push the lps in caves....

@Isaacs55 - Thanks for the picture showing the light spread.

I just placed my order for the 2 fixtures a minute ago, but it looks like I might also need to find some low rise 90 degree power cords, as I will only have about 1" above the fixture. I'm not sure the stock cords will bend enough to fit. It might work... will wait and see here in a few days once they show up.

(side note - I might hack these with an ESP-8266 to add WiFi dimming... it looks like these lights are PWM controlled best I can tell.)

They are PWM and 1" will be a real squeeze for the stock cords. One complaint I have about my unit is if you wiggle the cords they flicker. Basically the connection is not the best. That being said, if you can find 90° low profile plugs let us all know!!

Thoughts?

Which ones did you get Isaac? The 165?
Also the childproof door knob is adorable!
I think you can grow nice acroporas in the middle and some lps... fungia, favites and shrooms on the side? I got the 300w for my 40g and it's bright everywhere... I have to push the lps in caves....

Yes I have just one 165 watt unit with the optics off. Once I'm done getting all my acroporas in the middle I may get another unit if I have too. I'm pretty confident that just one should cover this whole tank even on the ends. My torch is on the sand bed right in the middle and it seems to be doing great there. It's grown a ton since I got it.

Haha! Yes childproof door knobs are a must with my 2 1/2 year old boy running around! Helps me sleep better at night!

I replaced the stock fans with Silenx Effizio 80mm 12dba computer fans. I cannot hear the fans unless my ear is up against the fixture. Please note...I am not an electrician nor am I encouraging you to chop up wires in your electronics. I could very well have made an error. Electricity is a dangerous thing and if you aren't qualified to do this then don't.

Three fans and old fixture. The hardware that comes with the fans is useless as the screws don't fit. You'll have to reuse them from the old fans.
IMG_20151114_224332_zpswywcions.jpg

These are the fans. I got them from newegg but maybe there are other alternatives. They were about $9 each and had the best specs I could find for the price.
IMG_20151114_224348_zpsuugubjfl.jpg

Midway progress test fitting.
IMG_20151114_234501_zpswglnlrz9.jpg

But wait. The stock fans have two wires (black and red) and the new ones have three black ones. The middle wire goes to the red wire and one of the others goes to the black. You'll have to experiment. Cap off the wire you don't use.
IMG_20151114_234526_zpsdggmywgv.jpg

I spliced the wires, soldered them and wrapped them in electrical tape. Shrink tubes would have been better but I didn't have any.
IMG_20151114_234839_zpsq9a6kpqk.jpg

All replaced and tidied up.
IMG_20151115_002450_zpssl1pluue.jpg

My tank thread.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2536723

Last edited:
Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

So I may be getting a 125 gallon tank. Dimensions are 72x18x24. Which of these lights would you recommend for this set up? Three of the 163watts?

I replaced the stock fans with Silenx Effizio 80mm 12dba computer fans. I cannot hear the fans unless my ear is up against the fixture. Please note...I am not an electrician nor am I encouraging you to chop up wires in your electronics. I could very well have made an error. Electricity is a dangerous thing and if you aren't qualified to do this then don't.

Three fans and old fixture. The hardware that comes with the fans is useless as the screws don't fit. You'll have to reuse them from the old fans.
IMG_20151114_224332_zpswywcions.jpg

These are the fans. I got them from newegg but maybe there are other alternatives. They were about $9 each and had the best specs I could find for the price.
IMG_20151114_224348_zpsuugubjfl.jpg

Midway progress test fitting.
IMG_20151114_234501_zpswglnlrz9.jpg

But wait. The stock fans have two wires (black and red) and the new ones have three black ones. The middle wire goes to the red wire and one of the others goes to the black. You'll have to experiment. Cap off the wire you don't use.
IMG_20151114_234526_zpsdggmywgv.jpg

I spliced the wires, soldered them and wrapped them in electrical tape. Shrink tubes would have been better but I didn't have any.
IMG_20151114_234839_zpsq9a6kpqk.jpg

All replaced and tidied up.
IMG_20151115_002450_zpssl1pluue.jpg

My tank thread.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2536723

nice write up on the fans....thanks...

Back