Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

I did some mods on my unit today. I took out allow the 3.5k diodes and replaced them with 20k bright white, 10 total. I then took out the 4 green diodes and replaced them with 410nm UV bulbs. I also removed the second light in on top and bottom rows on both side which where 460nm diodes and put in 4 more 410nm uv. Curious to know what you guys think about my choices in bulbs. I'm trying to get some more color out of my SPS without bleaching anything.

Last edited:
Of the corals or of the lights? It's definitely more crisp colored now. I like it quite a bit more not having that yellowish wash out that the 3500 gave. As far as the UV they're 410 so actually just violet but still very purple. As others have noted it doesn't seem to effect overall color to much. Maybe if I added quite a few more but I think 8 should help with coloring up my SPS a little better. The flouresance on my torch and some neon green acros look a little brighter and glow more but that could be more from 10 20k bulbs more than the violet I'm thinking.

Question, so this LED lights are better or worse than Metal Halide for growth and color... I need help deciding what to do. I have a fixture with single 250w Phoenix 14K HQI New bulbs. And T5HO. Or should I take the LED bandwagon?

It is for a 40G Breeder.

Any help and feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

I use a 165W MarsAqua over my anemone and fish QT and I feel the purple gig I have there right now loves it. The two other purple gigs I have under Kessil A360 LEDs browned and greened out, but this one stayed nice and purple. The only downside I can see so far is a rather nasty slime algae growth in those tanks.
I plan to get another 165W for my sump tank but will likely first test it over my 42 gallon tank ti see how my malu anemones like it.

Has everyone who ordered MarsAqua 165w units been receiving them with pwm used to dim? I bought a 165w not branded MarsAqua a year ago and unfortunately, mine is the 0-10v (not pwm) variant.
I didn't check mine yet, but would prefer the 0-10V as that could be easier modified for dimming via APEX. Otherwise I would need a 0-10V to PWM converter.

I use a 165W MarsAqua over my anemone and fish QT and I feel the purple gig I have there right now loves it. The two other purple gigs I have under Kessil A360 LEDs browned and greened out, but this one stayed nice and purple. The only downside I can see so far is a rather nasty slime algae growth in those tanks.
I plan to get another 165W for my sump tank but will likely first test it over my 42 gallon tank ti see how my malu anemones like it.

I didn't check mine yet, but would prefer the 0-10V as that could be easier modified for dimming via APEX. Otherwise I would need a 0-10V to PWM converter.
Unfortunately the 0-10v dimming is not the controller compatible type. Pwm is easier to convert :(

I'm thinking of running these on my new tank. Dimension are 32x24x24, would the one 300W unit be enough? I originally was thinking 2 of the 165 units, but the 300W unit is 31" long which would cover end to end.

Also what height should I mount them to penetrate to the bottom?

3 month update...
I have 4 of the 300watters on my 43" deep tank and they are growing sps that are halfway up the tank. My tank is 145" long so they are side by side.
Also clams on bottom are also doing fine. Zoas are growing well, sps all have growth tips and even colored up. Everything is great.

Homer1475, I've got a 300 over a 36 x 18 65gallon. I think I get pretty good end-to-end coverage, but do find that I get just a bit of shadowing up front. You might find that exaggerated over 24".

Mine is 11" above the water, and I have no trouble growing tolerant corals (zoas, goniopora and rhodactis) on the sandbed. Haven't tried anything in the SPS range yet though . . .

~Bruce

People who had these running for 6+ months what power settings are you running (also add how deep the tank is and what's in there)?

I'd like to know how you guys with a canopy are running them. My issue is that my ceilings are Cathedral, so I am not sure how I am going to mount them.

I'd like to know how you guys with a canopy are running them. My issue is that my ceilings are Cathedral, so I am not sure how I am going to mount them.

i have mine sitting right on canopy but i also have the ceiling mount too ..this way when i need to get in i can lift the lights out of the way...you can also hang them from the back too...plenty of pics like that

i have mine sitting right on canopy but i also have the ceiling mount too ..this way when i need to get in i can lift the lights out of the way...you can also hang them from the back too...plenty of pics like that

Can you get a picture of how you have them when you get a chance please?

On the final steps on purchasing my first led:dance:. Currently have a 150 watt oddysea MH t5 combo ,only problem is had it for 2 years with no bulb replacement and no blues for the past year so haven't been able to enjoy the colors on my coral plus my rbta
Ok so down to business the one that I'm getting is the 165 watt dimmable led which is on sale for $94 ... Am I purchasing the correct light that everyone here has been buying..thanks again for all the help really looking forward on buying it .
Oh it's 30" wide 19" tall 13" side

Back