Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

What about he dsuny model wifi leds? Do they need led swaps as well? I felt my full spectrum mars Aqua was awesome and I'd like to just have that same spectrum with some kind of controllability to them. I don't have a reef controller so that's out of he picture for it. I really haven't used a solder iron much so i don't want to kill a light I spent money on.

So is there any spectrum related wifi controllable models on any websites?

@AlphaSig - I picked up a collection off of ebay. Search for Epistar 3w LED 420nm, and you're looking for the "without PCB" version. I used 405-415nm, 415-420nm, and 420-425nm I believe.
If you need a few links, drop me a note and I'll send you some.
Cheers,
Ray

A few growth pics from my use of these LEDS.

Red Goni

23Mar16

6Aug16

17Sep16

1Oct16

10Dec16

29Jan17

More to come a bit later.

Cheers,
Ray

What about he dsuny model wifi leds? Do they need led swaps as well? I felt my full spectrum mars Aqua was awesome and I'd like to just have that same spectrum with some kind of controllability to them. I don't have a reef controller so that's out of he picture for it. I really haven't used a solder iron much so i don't want to kill a light I spent money on.

So is there any spectrum related wifi controllable models on any websites?

Dsuny makes decent LED fixtures. However, one of them that they market towards reefing, is actually a grow light. Too much red and purple LEDs. If you post a model, someone might have some experience.

And a few more...

23Mar16

23Apr16

9Jul16 note how the branches are starting to thicken up. Knowing what I know now, this is a good sign of the coral getting a bit too much light, and instead of its original more slender branch growth form, it is growing thicker branches and all surfaces facing the light are light in color.

6Aug16

17Sep16 branches are pretty stout at this point, and not much height is gained.

10Dec16 new branches are starting to pop up.

29Jan17 some more height is coming on now with the new branches.

More later.

Cheers,
Ray

What's your secret to keeping a school of chromis healthy and not dying off one by one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Bpb - I've had that school of Blue-Green Chromis in this 300 since Sep/Oct of 2013. They've always been "happy" and had plenty of dart holes. I originally picked them up as dither fish for my harems of Anthias - and they worked great for that purpose. The Anthias and Chromis routinely "shoal" together, especially at feeding time.

I believe I have one male in the harem/shoal of Chromis, and the behavior is very similar to the Anthias in that the dominant male tends to "herd around" the sub females or immatures.

I personally really like their coloration and activity level.

From 2014.

Cheers,
Ray

And a few more to close out the night and week. Too many hours in my commuting day during the workweek to hit boards much.

23Mar16

19Jul16

6Aug16

3Sep16 really starting to branch/spread (toward the camera) now.

10Dec16 lots of new growth.

29Jan17 spreading nicely..so much so I may have to consider relocating a few of the coral located under its growing shade...

Cheers,
Ray

What about the popular grow cob 169w led fixtures over a 20 long? Are they a good spectrum? Or those black leds like the ones I have pictured?

Looking for the control over wifi but maybe something new over the mars Aqua.

I really like the way the COB leds look but I don't know anything about them personally. Would they be able to grow sps? I'm looking to do some acro and mostly easier sps like stylo and birds nests.

Any help is welcome in this decision.

Attachments

• IMG_5827.jpg
    IMG_5827.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0
What about the popular grow cob 169w led fixtures over a 20 long? Are they a good spectrum? Or those black leds like the ones I have pictured?

Looking for the control over wifi but maybe something new over the mars Aqua.

I really like the way the COB leds look but I don't know anything about them personally. Would they be able to grow sps? I'm looking to do some acro and mostly easier sps like stylo and birds nests.

Any help is welcome in this decision.

If you go the cob route, you'll need coverage. If you are trying to grow SPS, I wouldn't do COB LED unless, like I said, you get multiples for coverage. SPS coral don't like shadows. If you look at the Orphek Atlantic V2, which is considered high end SPS lighting, the mars aqua boxes are a much cheaper version of that. Ultimately we are trying to mimic T5/Halide coverage and spectrum.

If your goal is LPS, softies and easy/hardier SPS like birdsnest or stylophora, COB lighting would work. I also suspect the cheap COB LED you are referring to has the ability to switch out COB LEDs much like the mars aqua units. I've always been interested in getting more insight to those units, though most go for Kessil, AI, and Ecotech puck designs.

If you go the cob route, you'll need coverage. If you are trying to grow SPS, I wouldn't do COB LED unless, like I said, you get multiples for coverage. SPS coral don't like shadows. If you look at the Orphek Atlantic V2, which is considered high end SPS lighting, the mars aqua boxes are a much cheaper version of that. Ultimately we are trying to mimic T5/Halide coverage and spectrum.

If your goal is LPS, softies and easy/hardier SPS like birdsnest or stylophora, COB lighting would work. I also suspect the cheap COB LED you are referring to has the ability to switch out COB LEDs much like the mars aqua units. I've always been interested in getting more insight to those units, though most go for Kessil, AI, and Ecotech puck designs.

Yeah they claim it's close to a kessil cob style. Multichip led under a unified lens. Probably switch out the multichip for a more expensive color blend and effectively have a kessil cob light. I'd do it but I'm cheap, which is why I'm discussing Chinese leds.

I'll pprobably end up going with the popular grow for the wifi capability but am scared it's got the wrong spectrum for my acropora in my tank. Any insight into spectrum on these?

Last edited:
Hi,

I have those:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIFI-165W-L...mable-Fish-Tank-Reef-Coral-Lamp-/201332405274

they make a rather yellowish light. I don't have the exact configuration anymore but they have plenty of 3500k and 7000k. I run them at 20% white and 90% blue. it seems they may create some brownish algae while I follow a thread at another forum were some china black box user claim the same problem. No, my water parameters are ok: 2 to 5 nitrate and 0 phosphates.
The wifi isn't anything good as it needs reprogramming after power failure or power disconnection, I've done that 3 times and switched to manual after that.

after 2 month one of my wifi module wasn't working and the seller only responded to my warranty claim after I open a claim at paypal, I think that may describe the seller it self.

overall I would not invest in those lights anymore and if I would look into china black box then I would go for sbreef lights. Just for the sake of telling it, I start saving money for zetlights or if I save a little while longer some radions ;)

as the popular grow are awful, perhaps some other people can come out with a long term review on mars aqua.

Cheers

Soren

I use the popular grow wifi unit without issues. The lights do give a warmer spectrum. However a $15 soldering gun and some new LED diodes fixed that. Been using my light for over 2 years now.

This is an old pic, but this is right after switch it over from the old tank. This populargrow unit saves settings and doesn't have connection issues. Sucks you bought one faulty one. Doesn't account for the rest of them.

Attachments

• Start.jpg
    Start.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 0
I use the popular grow wifi unit without issues. The lights do give a warmer spectrum. However a $15 soldering gun and some new LED diodes fixed that. Been using my light for over 2 years now.

Thanks for the pointing this but I wouldn't buy a blue car to repaint it and Bagabaga was actually asking about the spectrum and yes I gave him a glimpse look as what I have and what I was dealing with.

Coming back to this, they even have a video on how to change the wifi module......

Given the power source goes off at 1pm and comes back at 3pm your unit jumps back to 3pm? :)

cheers

Soren

Thanks for the pointing this but I wouldn't buy a blue car to repaint it
You would for the right price. I would buy a purple porsche if I spent half price.
and Bagabaga was actually asking about the spectrum
What was the spectrum? Warm isn't a spectrum it's an observation and a few 3500k and 6000k diodes don't represent the overall spectrum.[/QUOTE]
and yes I gave him a glimpse look as what I have and what I was dealing with.
Your experience, your opinion.
Coming back to this, they even have a video on how to change the wifi module......
These are pre-built DIY boxes and the videos are for our convenience. I suspect it's possible to get a faulty Ecotech Radion. I don't suspect anyone would have the knowledge to fix one.

The majority of the wifi units are designed with the exact same LED layout except for the Evergrow units. Mars Aqua doesn't make a WIFI unit and therefore isn't considered the same. Mars Aqua also has less 3500k diodes. Me, changing LEDs doesn't discredit the unit, but only makes it better. You can still have a successful reef with or without diode changes. The brown algae you refer to is most likely due to poor husbandry, excess nutrientsor diatoms.

Cheers :beer:

Here are some progression shots of my first nano reef using Mars Aqua lights.

Attachments

• 20160109_122117-2.jpg
    20160109_122117-2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20150801_091354~2.jpg
    20150801_091354~2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160228_125738-2baby.jpg
    20160228_125738-2baby.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
Back