Maxspect gyre setup for my 6ft 180gallon reef

Maxspect gyre setup for a 6Ft 180 gallon reef. Googled and did a bit of research and what I'm finding is either older information or nothing that really seems to match what I'm doing other that macho muscle test look at what my pump can do videos. I'm looking for what Maxspect gyre equipment do I need to purchase to well equip my 180, I couldn't even get much from the munufacturer website.

Do I need a xf230 with advance controller and another xf230pump only? This is my guesstimate but since I have no real world experience or advice I'm coming here

Do I need xf250s
Or 150s or 130
And there are even xxx80series. I don't even know what's current other than what's been sold by the likes of BRS and Marine Depot

I want to use on controller to rule them buwahhaaa...well at least the Maxspects
I don't want I crazy pump at one side. I believe I'd like two unless someone has video and photos of their thriving tank using this method. I.know what MP 40s do and I'd like to try some different just looking for the right 2 to buy. I want to pull the trigger on a set of pumps but the gun is jammed

Thank you all very much in advance

It really matters on what type of corals you want to keep. If going with the 200 Series you only need one controller as the controller can do two pumps. So you would just need to buy a pump if you want a 2nd gyre. I believe the older 100 series are discontinued but I still see some selling them and maybe just old stock. I see BRS and Marine Depot doesn't even sell the 130-150 anymore which probably means they did indeed discontinue those.

The gyre nice as it creates more of an even flow to eliminate dead spots. Now this is kinda old but it shows you the flow modes in the tank and how it works pretty much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXMaY-S0moI

I would think a couple of 250's would work well with your tank. I don't own one so maybe someone else who owns one can chime in a bit more.

I have two XF250 on one controller in my 4 ft 120g. I'm running them at 80-100% and enjoying the flow for my sps. The xf250 may work for you as I've seen some online videos using 6 foot tank, but depends on your rock work too. Haven't seen many reviews for xf280.

I have 2 of the older xf150s but on the new advanced controller on my 5ft 150 gallon tank. run them at 30% max right now on the pre set lunar tide mode. They are great!

For your tank I would do the XF250 with controller then buy another sf250 pump only.

I have 2 XF250s on the back wall of my 6' 220 and its way too much flow. I have them turned WAY down to (I think) 10% forwards -30% reverse. Otherwise I get sand blown over my sandbed corals.

If I was running them at either ends of that tank it might be a different story but I'm 3 side viewable so I didn't want anything on the sides.

I have the XF150 on the far end of my 180 peninsula, and love it:

20170108_160136_zpssecvpf72.jpg

I'd be embarrassed to show a photo now as I'm battle a cyano outbreak...

The gyres are mounted on the back wall so they only have a couple feet to travel in the forward direction before they hit the glasses and head down into the gravel. If mounted on long ends of the tank with 6' to travel I imagine you could bump up the power more.

Alright so I guess my next question is do need 2 XF230s or o 2 XF250s with one controller of course. and assuming I will be placing the pumps at on opposite ends or sides of the tank and not the back wall. If I were buying MP40s they put out a maximum flow of 4500 GPG as per Ecotech specs and this is the benchmark pump for the ends of this aquarium. The XF230 outs out a MAX of 2300gph the XF250 is 5300gph respectively. I realize its not apples to apples by a long shot but thats why I'm asking here. Is 2300 on each end enough due to the way it works?

As far as corals. Mixed reef. Def more LPS though.

Thanks

Having them on the back wall I could see where it would be too much flow. If you put them on each end you'll have a different effect. I would go with the 250's myself if it was me. Remember it's going to have to push water 6 ft each way and not 2 ft like on the back wall and that's a big difference. Also depending on rockwork, it could cut them down a notch also.

If you watch the video I posted by BRS you'll see what 150 can do on a 6ft tank doing end to end.

For 6' Tank, definitely 250's over 230's. both on a single controller. The controller is actually very cool and easy to learn. Very customizable programming and flow.

If you wanted to go cheaper, you can get the new Ice Cap gyre. Except they only allow one pump per controller, so can't sync them.

If you wanted to go cheaper, you can get the new Ice Cap gyre. Except they only allow one pump per controller, so can't sync them.

yeah the Ice Cap route might be an option too. $300 and done. Other than Syncing ill have to look at how many other features Ill be missing and if it will be worth not spending the extra money. Its not a cheap hobby but I like saving when I can too.

Back