Melev's new 280g Starfire tank thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you Gabriel. This one came from a hobbyist breaking down his tank, so I was hoping I'd have better luck. I'd bought one from a club member in the past and it lived 1.5 years, and probably longer had I not killed half my fish overnight back in 2005.

Talking with a friend in California, she told me quite a few people she knew bought them and had zero issues. I think this is another way The Man is keeping us Texans down. ;)

Marc,

What do you do for aeration while running the chemi-clean? You also said you went skimmerless for 5 days: did you do two repeated doses? Sorry if I missed something.

John - I didn't aerate the tank. The water pouring through the overflows into the sump adds oxygen, and the surface of my tank moves very quickly with decent ripples. The amount of surface action spatters the tops of the euro-bracing, which I have to wipe down once a week.

I only dosed once, but just let it work longer instead of ending it at 48 hours. I really wanted to see all of it die before I was ready to start cleaning up the water column.

In a smaller system, especially a sumpless one, using an airstone and air pump might be wise.

Today, our Keys Critters order arrived right on time. 14 of us received about 2300 snails, hermits, crabs, and starfish. I scattered my ceriths, astreas and blue leg hermits through out the 4 tanks, and put one emerald crab in the angled tank and two in my reef.

I still have that vicious worm, not really sure what to do with it yet.

15 posts to go. I'll have to take new pictures all over again.
fotog2.gif

Marc - good catch with the new worm! Hopefully that's the last of them? (crossing fingers). Sorry about the CBB too.

It's interesting to see the variation in broadband speeds. Unlike the days of modems, where there was a more measurable baud rate, broadband is all over the place depending on where you live. I guess we have a way to go before everyone has those super-fast speeds.

--Ed

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12736517#post12736517 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev

Today, our Keys Critters order arrived right on time. 14 of us received about 2300 snails, hermits, crabs, and starfish. I scattered my ceriths, astreas and blue leg hermits through out the 4 tanks, and put one emerald crab in the angled tank and two in my reef.

You didn't aerate the tank, but you did keep an eye on ORP. You probably knew at all times whether you needed to aerate or not. That's cheating :D

All but a handful of the critters made it in my tank, thanks for putting that together Marc. Except for my car getting nailed in front of your house, it all went well. :p

Throw the worm out in your backyard where the birds are. They'll love it. Or give it to me and I'll do it. I have a red robin nest in my back yard.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12736517#post12736517 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
John - I didn't aerate the tank. The water pouring through the overflows into the sump adds oxygen, and the surface of my tank moves very quickly with decent ripples. The amount of surface action spatters the tops of the euro-bracing, which I have to wipe down once a week.

I only dosed once, but just let it work longer instead of ending it at 48 hours. I really wanted to see all of it die before I was ready to start cleaning up the water column.

In a smaller system, especially a sumpless one, using an airstone and air pump might be wise.

Are you saying you dont have one of those cool bubble heads that opens the skeleton's mouth up and down?....

I did have a serious question... what are you thoughts on BL hermits?... do you still re-populate your tank with them alot, or do you feel snails are better?

Also I have tried emerald crabs a couple of times, but them never seem to survive... anything special to know about them?

Is there any marine biologists near you Marc? Maybe they would be interested in taking the worm off your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back