Mesh Mod advice-----

redfishsc

I'm looking for some advice on mesh modding a Quiet One 4000 (or any Quiet One pump).

I have a 4000 on the way that I will use for driving a Coralife 125 SS. This pump is overkill but if I mesh mod it, I assume the gph will drop down to the acceptable range and bubbles will be more than abundant.

I know about Enkamat. Any other suggestions on what to use for Mesh-modding that I might be able to find at the hardware store or Lowes/Home Depot??

Also if anyone has mesh-modded a Quiet One before, I'd love to hear your advice.

Thanks!!

Matt

Someone, somewhere mentioned using some kind of scrub brush material (I'm thinking like a very coarse plastic "steel wool" type material). But they didn't mention the brand/type and I can't find it anymore with the search. They got it from a grocery store.

I got the enkemat from ebay, very cheap, like 5$ shipped. cant complain.

however 6 months later power went out and apparently there was enough scraping, rubbing, damage that they took that opportunity to seize up. it was a 700$ mistake on 2 euroreef needlewheels that IMO I wont risk again. I didnt notice that much of an improvement for the mod in the first place either.

YMMV of course.

i also got mine off of ebay. $5 shipped for enough to do 2 mods. the only thing is you need to replace the mesh about every 6 months or so because it does were out over time.

I'm curious about how this mesh is damaging stuff. What is scrubbing/scraping what? It seems to me like the Enkamat stuff wouldn't be hard/abrasive enough to do that kind of damage.

Mesh mod destroyed my Reef Octopus pump also

+1

the reason that these it is destroying pumps, is because it is throwing the impeller off balance or adding to much weight to it. This is why when you are going to do this mod you should always have a kill-a-watt meter to check and make sure that your wattage is not to high. the higher the wattage the hotter the pump runs, this means more room for disaster.
Matthew DeKing

Back