mh vs t5

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6767812#post6767812 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Treg
Less bulbs = even more overdriven.

Maybe with some ballasts, but I'm pretty sure that's not true if you're using IceCaps - they'll push the bulbs the same whether you put 2 or 4 on the same ballast.

cfishrun,
Sorry but I somehow missed your post.

That info come direct from Andy @ IC. I think if anyone would know or not, it would be the guys @ IceCap. They could be wrong tho I suppose. :) As far as other ballast, the IC manufactured ballast are the only ones I am aware of overdriving T5s. Atleast for retros...

tabndust,
I looked for This thread for an hour the day you posted this. I couldnt remember where it was... Just stumbled across it tonight and thought I'd bump this up with the link for you. This is one of the best T5 light tanks I've seen picks of.

I just cant help to chuckle when I hear "the jury is still out" on T5's knowing there are tanks like this light by T5 only. If that isnt convincing I dont know what is...

Donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t get me wrong, I'm not an expert on IC ballasts, but from everything that I've read, the only thing that varies the power supplied between individual bulbs on the same ballast is 1- the type of bulb; 2- the length of the bulb; 3- the bulbââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s age; and 4- how long its had to warm up. The IC ballasts are said to provide proper power to each bulb regardless of the bulb-type combination, and they donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t vary the load depending on the # of feet you have hooked up (unless you exceed the recommended maximum). For example, a specific size (T5) and length (36") bulb will draw the same power (~60 watts) no matter what else is on the circuit (or whether you use a 430 or 660). Additionally, the IC ballasts will only overdrive a bulb up to about 50% above its stated wattage, because much more than that can destroy the bulb.

Quoted from ASH...
"If you use a 54-watt T-5 HO lamps on a Model 430 (one or two lamps) or a Model 660 (2,3 or 4 lamps) they will operate at 85-watts per lamp. The output provided and energy required have been confirmed on countless threads on RC about using T-5 HO lamps."

If you've found a thread that states connecting fewer bulbs on an IC ballast causes them to be overdriven more, please share it because I have a 660 and I thought I understood how it operates.

cfishrun,

I could have missunderstood this, But the answer was:

The number would be between 85 and 95-watts per lamp.

He dosnt say specific 2 bulbs use more than 4 but the answer is a higher number than we usually see. (95w)

My thread from 2 years ago.
Two 54w T5 on IC 660

The question may be worth asking again now, 2 years later.

I am in stages of selling my 2-175w mh and 2 96w pc light set up and going with t5s due to the heat issues I have in my small room.

Back