Mike's 150g SC Aquarium Build

Following along - I am about to purchase a 150 custom from SCA. If you are still having algae issues, have you checked your Mg?

Ahhh never mind - somehow I missed those posts about Mg testing and supplementation when first flashing thru the thread.

My custom SC tank will have three 70mm holes drilled in the back for 3 x 1.5 inch bulkheads.

I will then use a 48 inch long custom coast to coast "ghost type" internal overflow thru the 3 x 1.5 inch bulkheads to a 30 inch long external overflow box with Bean Animal plumbing in it ( 1 inch x 2 for the siphon and trickle drains and a 1.5 inch emergency drain).

My 75 gallon sump will be in the basement , the display tank will be in the room we use for TV viewing - so will have a canopy to prevent light splash.

Anymore thoughts on moving you sump to the basement? I am struggling with which return pump to use as the new DC pumps fail miserably when you put them in a high head pressure situation. I calculated my head pressure to be about 14-15. If anyone has thoughts on a pump for me -please PM me. The Red Dragon Pumps are too expensive, Panworld/Iwaki are probably my best option.

Once I get the actual invoice with all my specs from Steve "Chow"Williams over at SCA I will start my own build thread = along with the exact customization of the tank.. I think I got the last Walnut stand and canopy as they are now using a new company in California to build their upgraded stand/canopies out of Oak = 4-6 weeks wait and more expensive. But, the stand is higher - so for people putting their sump under the tank - that helps them.

Just wanted to say thanks for the great build thread- each one that is as detailed as yours helps the next person from making the same mistakes, and using your new thoughts that work well. For one thing, I never thought about putting a color scheme together for the sump/plumbing/etc. I may do something like that after looking at yours. Especially, because mine will be out in the open on a counter top in my finished basement.

Currently in Nova Scotia...the program I work on is the Canadian Helicopter that they bought from Sikorsky. I'm currently supporting the delivery of these aircraft.

I apologize for the slow service on this build.

Wait wait wait, I know we exchanged PM's a few times, I work on the 53K...

Yep, sometimes simple is better. Awaiting new pics/updates - so sorry you had a crash. My SCA custom 150 is close - should be delivered next week.

Oh boy...this thread...lol.

Yes...I believe Franky is 100% correct, AF proved one thing for me, i'm a lazy reefer. To much daily interaction...drips, drops, powders...wait how many drops did I do yesterday after this..blah blah...way too much. lol.

So the tank back doing well, well i mean...things stopped dying for sure lol. All that is left are some zoa's, mushrooms, nems and some soft corals.

Once I get some motivation back, i'll start up water changes again (prolly hasn't had one in a few months). All my fish are doing great, absolute pigs and monsters, the corals that I do have are growing fast, but they are softies and love whatever i'm doing.

Couple pics

4c908f73d52354a677906bbb84f4b552.jpg

f42a90743cb06af384f6f8e153edfa7f.jpg

44aaef6d2663a8edf87075bc20999115.jpg

eff26adc15b323fe9f6c0eab9105e0f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back