military reefers club

My husband and I are about to PCS to Ramstein, AFB in Germany. A tool like this would be wonderful to have to make new connections within the hobby and otherwise as we will not know anyone in Europe as a whole!

Does anyone know what reefkeeping looks like in Germany, or even in Ramstein specifically?

We'd appreciate any and all advice!

I recently just set up a new tank, couple clownfish and 3 corals so far. I found 2 LFS's that have some coral and fish, still looking for people in the area that are into reef tanks.

Ramstein Reefing

Ramstein Reefing

My husband and I are about to PCS to Ramstein, AFB in Germany. A tool like this would be wonderful to have to make new connections within the hobby and otherwise as we will not know anyone in Europe as a whole!

Does anyone know what reefkeeping looks like in Germany, or even in Ramstein specifically?

We'd appreciate any and all advice!

Im in Ramstein, i can help you guys out as much as i can. One store is 20 min away the other is about 40 min.

Hey everyone, I had no idea this topic was on these forums! Great to see other vets and current service members in this hobby! I'm on terminal leave from the army currently and will be transferring to the NG. I was a medic for the last 3 and a half years at fort hood. We just recently moved back to Kentucky.

-Patrick

For you Eglin and Hurlburt people if you can make your way over to Pensacola there's a LFS there called Water World. From what I was told it's the best fish store on the northern Gulf Coast. They have a nice 400G display tank and an interesting selection. ... that's a bit of a drive for a fish store though :p

For you Eglin and Hurlburt people if you can make your way over to Pensacola there's a LFS there called Water World. From what I was told it's the best fish store on the northern Gulf Coast. They have a nice 400G display tank and an interesting selection. ... that's a bit of a drive for a fish store though :p

Agreed, that is a great store if you have time to trek out there.

There are two really good stores here, Matt's Coral Connection and Elite Aquatics of NWF, both in Fort Walton Beach. Elite is definitely more expensive than Matt's, but in their defense they also have a higher end coral selection. There is also Petland in Mary Ester. It's a small all animal type story, but with good prices. They literally saved me when my IM38 sprang a leak and I needed an emergency tank. The tank was less expensive in-store than Amazon. Worked for me.

Swapping/trading is also a great way to get new stuff - just throwing that out there in case there is any local interest.

Thanks for the response. I have visited the LFS around Eglin, not Water World. I'll have to check that place out. Mostly interested in meeting and knowing reefers in the area to trade with. Here are some pics of my systems.
d5aee87f89817df9929f691d706a58d9.jpg
d4aaa007ce64ebd36696bdc20bbf6152.jpg
304d9911c8c519f91efb246290f9cf8f.jpg
f6d576f6c4933bacd53ad904b7fae94d.jpg
https://vimeo.com/161290889
https://vimeo.com/161290950

These beautiful discus where special ordered and hand picked by Matt's Coral Connection in Fort Walton Beach.
628dfeca42fe3d947de0ce22f349fad5.jpg
fa5727ccce69e318629b357adb3723b6.jpg

Aaron

I love it. I'm worrying now about my tank and I'm only going on two weeks of leave outside the area and trying to find someone to help that I trust is like beating my head against a wall. Currently in Rapid City SD.

so question have any of you set up a large tank like 300DD with fish room while still active duty if so how did you handle having to PCS? I am wanting to set up a 300DD once i PCS again but i am afraid that i will have to PCS soon after it is all set up

so question have any of you set up a large tank like 300DD with fish room while still active duty if so how did you handle having to PCS? I am wanting to set up a 300DD once i PCS again but i am afraid that i will have to PCS soon after it is all set up
Personally for a tank that large I wouldn't recommend it. Especially since you probably don't know or can't depend on hearsay of where your next duty station will be. It could be a days drive, but it could be cross country. You've got hours of breaking down, crating the tank, etc. I just did a six hour relocate and it was a pita. Mine was only 40 gallons, but even that was a bit stressful for them and me. Just my two cents, but no one wants to hear themselves say "what the hell was I thinking." Best to you whatever you decide. I'm in Florida between Eglin & Hurlburt.

I moved my tank CC from Pensacola, FL to La Habra, CA. I stopped twice, in Abilene, TX and Tucson, AZ, so it was a three day trip. My tank is a 29 gallon so it was easy to take down. However, I think theoretically it would be possible with that large of a tank. You'd definitely have to make sure you prep well though, and you'd want to double-check your ammonia levels. I got away with not checking mine because I transported my fish with my LR.

Though, I agree, in case you get stationed overseas or end up having to move from south Florida to Alaska, I think it would be wise to stick with smaller tanks.

Back