Tank Sizes For Large Angels

Zionas

What are the tank sizes needed for the following species of medium-large angels, what tank length and volume do you think one would need to house them comfortably for their entire lives? The species I’m interested in are:

Apolemichthys:
Goldflake (A. Xanthopunctatus) (CB)

Pomacanthus:
Majestic (P. “Euxiphipops” Navarchus) (CB)
Arabian (P. Asfur) (CB)
Emperor (P. Imperator) (CB)

Chaetodontoplus:
Blue Line (C. Septentrionalis) or “Maze” hybrids (C. “Cephalareticulatus” / C. “Chrysocephalus”) (CB)

Conspicuous (C. Conspicillatus) ($$) (CB)

Pygoplites:
Regal (P. Diacanthus) (CB)

Maybe Genicanthus.

What is their swim pattern like compared to Tangs? Do any get too big for the average tank? (5-6ft range)

As in standard 150 (5 x 2 x 2) or 180 (6 x 2 x 2).

Yes please would appreciate their help.

The ones I am considering are (to recap):
(1) Gold Flake
(2) Blue Line / “Maze” hybrid
(3) Majestic
(4) Regal
(5) Asfur
(6) Emperor
(7) The Genicanthus (Spot Breast, Lamarck’s, Watanabei, Bellus)

I’ll be choosing 2.

Last edited:
If you are planning to keep the fish for a long time and are feeding properly according to the Fish Nutrition post and if you are going to choose only two from that list, then a standard 180 gallon would be my recommendation.

What is their swim pattern like compared to Tangs?
They are not constantly on the move like adult Tangs. These fish generally hide until they become comfortable with their tank and people.
Do any get too big for the average tank?
The 180 gallon tank will stunt their growth to some extent, but these angelfish can reach lengths of 10" and sometimes more.

I see. If this was a 150, what combination do you think I could do? What about a 180?
If using a 150 I'd just choose one Angelfish and then some other marine fish compatible with it. Angelfish usually don't get along with other Angelfish. It isn't so much a classification issue as much as a shape issue.

I would aquascape a 180 such that one side doesn't have an unobstructed view of the other side. That is, a 'break' in the length. This way the 2 Angelfish might chose separate sides and tension reduced by not having to constantly see the other.
what combination do you think I could do? What about a 180?
In a fish only 180g aquarium any combination from the list would work. It's all in the aquascaping. Adult fish are expensive. If you raise these Angels from their juvenile markings and feed them according to the Fish Nutrition post then I think they will be fine.

I had an emperor and a koran in an 8x2x2 240. They were tiny juveniles when I got them.
There can be only one. One day after they had lost the juvenile markings it began. I still have the koran. He is the size of a dinner plate.
Large angels ignore dwarf ones.

Back