Mo's 6ftx8ftx3ft SPS Reef Tank

TankThread1015_1.jpg

TankThread1016.jpg

TankThread1017.jpg

TankThread1018.jpg

TankThread1021.jpg

How is the ceramic rock weight compared to liverock? Do you use any liverock in this system?

Hi Zaheda,

Similar weight... The ceramic is quite porous too.
There is no live rock in this system.... I used 200Kg in the sump when I started the system for about a month, but I took it out as it was trapping a lot of detritus in the sump. It would help speed up the maturation of the ceramics if Live rock was used to seed...

Mo

Wow amazing build.
Can you please explain the advantaegs disadvantages Ceramics will have on the long run. I'm sure it does luck much nicer than what one can achieve with LR.

Epic build... Awesome job!! Love the attention to detail

I found my inspiration... great build!

-Chad

Great job with the ceramic rock work; can't wait to see the tank completed and mature.

Wow amazing build.
Can you please explain the advantaegs disadvantages Ceramics will have on the long run. I'm sure it does luck much nicer than what one can achieve with LR.

I love the ceramic rock work. Does anyone know of a supplier in the U.S. ?

Thanks guys,

I'm not sure of a US supplier, but I'm sure Torsten wouldn't mind having a distributor if there isn't one!.

The ceramics take a lot longer to mature than Live rock, so if you run them alone, you need to be really patient and not throw SPS in right away. I would suggest a lot of bacterial cultures to get the rocks cycling and start with softies/ fish until you get decent coralline growth.
, which can take a few months. The ceramics do leach silicates for a while, so a silicate adsorber/ GFO is a must and a good rinsing would be very useful too!.

Once the coralline kicks off, the rocks are fine. I run only the ceramic rocks, heavy skimming and GFO/ Carbon.

The main benefits are that it's easier to scape and they can look exactly like you want them to.

Mo

I had the pleasure of seeing this tank in person, a couple of weeks ago. Awesome tank, and will look even more awesome once the corals fill it all in.

Thanks Mo for letting us come by and see it.

sanjay.

Hi Sanjay,

It was a pleasure having you guys over. What I can't find is that video of your tank that played during your talk..... Your tank is amazing. Any links to it?.

Did Joe get his present home ok?.

Thanks
Mo

I have not posted that video anywhere on the net. I have to give the people who come to the talks something new and different ;-)

Yes, Joe got his present home. I am waiting to get a piece from him.

sanjay.

I had the pleasure of seeing this tank in person, a couple of weeks ago. Awesome tank, and will look even more awesome once the corals fill it all in.

Thanks Mo for letting us come by and see it.

sanjay.

i want to go see it.........:sad2::sad2:

I have not posted that video anywhere on the net. I have to give the people who come to the talks something new and different ;-)

Yes, Joe got his present home. I am waiting to get a piece from him.

sanjay.

:thumbsup:

Mo

i want to go see it.........:sad2::sad2:

You are more than welcome!...

I'm coming to Orlando this week ( work related!).... any tanks that I can get to see while I am there?.... I'd love to see a few US SPS tanks.

I might go to WWCorals as well.

Mo

Back