My 112G Cube Build Thread. I'm baaaaaaack!!

Hey Mike. I have 6 of the large ones and 5 of the small ones. The small ones are about half the size of the big ones so I have about 8.5. I'm not really sure how much I need. Merritt should be able to advise you on them. These rocks are just super porous. Way more porous by weight and volume than any other live rock out there. These are like sponges. As for rotating, I would think that you would want to cook the ones that you are rotating out to remove any absorbed phosphates or organics before drying them out. That way when you reintroduce them, they are essentially brand new rock. That's my thinking at least.

What would you use to remove the phosphates?

Whats the logic of rotating blocks out? They would have to recolonized and any dead stuff would add additional bioload to the system...unless you throughly cooked as Ramon noted. Hummm wondering if I should try some now?

What would you use to remove the phosphates?

Phosphates will probably migrate towards the path of least resistance. If you stick the blocks in phosphate free water and run some GFO on it, they will eventually leach out. You could probably use rodi water or saltwater as long as the water is kept clean.

Whats the logic of rotating blocks out? They would have to recolonized and any dead stuff would add additional bioload to the system...unless you throughly cooked as Ramon noted. Hummm wondering if I should try some now?

If these are in your sump you shouldn't have too much organic material on it so die off would be minimal. Cooking it would be the best route though to keep the bacteria alive while the crap in it gets pulled out by your water and GFO.

Lol. That's probably why they call this stuff detox blox. You stick some of this into your water it will detoxify it and suck out the bad stuff like a sponge. But that's just a guess on my part. Seems plausible though.

If these are in your sump you shouldn't have too much organic material on it so die off would be minimal. Cooking it would be the best route though to keep the bacteria alive while the crap in it gets pulled out by your water and GFO.

Lol. That's probably why they call this stuff detox blox. You stick some of this into your water it will detoxify it and suck out the bad stuff like a sponge. But that's just a guess on my part. Seems plausible though.

when you said "cook" in the context of phosphates i thought you meant nuking it with acid!

okay, so my understanding is that detox blox are basically, in the simplest terms, more efficient form of LR...providing more surface area for beneficial bacteria. also, i thought this bacteria metabolizes the nutrients including phosphates so theoretically there should be no storing of nutrients like GFO or carbon. if that's the case, there would be no reason to rotate it. if you did, you definitely don't want to dry it out...even putting it in fresh sea water might cause the population of bacteria to die off over time since there wouldn't be any nutrients in the water.

all that being said...anyone have extra blox they wanna sell me?

Ramon, LMK when your tank is ready...i owe you some frags!

Contact the folks at Aqua-tecture.com. That's were I got mine from. I don't believe that they've been release to the public just yet.

so are cerameco and aqua-tecture the same company? their websites are almost the same. Mike, wanna sell be the two extra you got? :)

I think of live rock or these detox blox as a sponge, it absorbs all the PO4 and NO3. At some point the sponge becomes saturated and will not absorb anymore. Before the blox gets to that point I'd like to "squeeze the sponge" meaning rotate the blox out and remove all of the PO4 and NO3 so that when it goes back in, it'll absorb again.

Mike and Brian,

I got 10 of the large blox and 11 of the small ones....

I used 8 of the large ones and then had to add 2 more for my new skimmer to raise its height.

I have them in my skimmer chamber as a floor and stand and i have them in my refugium chamber as additional media....

So far I really like them, they are porous as ramons vid shows, but, I have no real idea how well they work yet.... As the system grows, we will see if it keeps up with the bioload.

I bought 40 lbs.

Used almost all of it in my sump... I think I have 6 small ones left that I will rotate out like Mike plans to do....

Merrit is real great to work with. I think she owns aquitecture and buys from Cerameco.

She is the person that got me hooked up with Cerameco for my main rock in my tank.

I am going to test my water today to see where all my levels are, but, if the coral is any indication, then, I am sold on this product.... all of the coral in my tank is doing well for being in the tank for less than 2 weeks. Good polyp extension.

Update!!!

Finally got around to completing the tank. The stand is finally finished and the faces are all mounted. On the front are hinged doors. On the sides are magnet mounted removable panels. Inside all of the panels I went with sandblasted glass.

To the right of the tank is my electrical panel mounted to the wall that holds most of the electrical equipment. It has a door that drops down and doubles also as a work table.

Below the electrical panel is a cart with a granite top. The cart has 2 towel holders, a little bottle rack, a drawer, and a large cabinet space. Inside the cabinet is my topoff pump and a 20G reservoir. The entire thing is on wheels and can be rolled around if needed.

There are still some little things left such as knobs and touch ups but for the most part it's done.

Tank is coming around ok so far with no major issues (knock on wood). Have 3 fish in there so far and threw in some xenia and zoas from my brother-in-law/sister's tank as a test run and they are all doing well.

I'm looking for a pair of clowns to throw in here. If anyone knows of a pair for sale that hosts in an anemone, let me know.

That's all for now!

i-XQRfhCT-XL.jpg

Looking brilliant! I have the same ATI unit now. Look forward to seeing your tank progress! What T5 combo did you go for?

Looking brilliant! I have the same ATI unit now. Look forward to seeing your tank progress! What T5 combo did you go for?

Thanks! I went with 6 blue plus and 2 coral plus. Gives me a nice hint of blue. Sort of reminds me of my 14k DE's with actinics I used to run.

Some people have been asking for additional shots. Here they are.

Inside the side cabinet (aka workstation) is my topoff system consisting of a peristaltic dosing pump and a near 20G food storage bin holding the freshwater.
i-cdbjSw9-L.jpg

What's inside the electrical panel.
i-VR9FJmV-L.jpg

Side shot with the side panels.
i-WMR3HtW-X2.jpg

Other side.
i-gFLtXmG-L.jpg

Back