My 112G Cube Build Thread. I'm baaaaaaack!!

Did some rock arranging too. Found out that a table we had was the same exact footprint as the tank so i thought i would try to find a good layout. I think this one looks the best. These rocks looks pretty amazing. I can't wait to start loading them up with frags.

i-ZFPn3wN-XL.jpg

Another angle:
i-rrsG9RC-XL.jpg

Looks great!! I like the sketchup drawing. I have a set of tongue&groove router bets if you plan to use something like that for your doors.

Looks great!! I like the sketchup drawing. I have a set of tongue&groove router bets if you plan to use something like that for your doors.

Lol. Right when i read this i had just finished up most of the doors. I didn't want to spring for the tongue & groove router bit sets since i didn't think i'd use it enough. So since i already had a rabbet bit i'm just going to go that direction and secure the panels with panel retainers.

Not sure what to use for the panels though. Distressed or opaque glass sounds interesting. Or wood. Who knows.

i-x2nV8C4-X2.jpg

Sick rock. You do not have many room for your corals.

Did some rock arranging too. Found out that a table we had was the same exact footprint as the tank so i thought i would try to find a good layout. I think this one looks the best. These rocks looks pretty amazing. I can't wait to start loading them up with frags.

i-ZFPn3wN-XL.jpg

Another angle:
i-rrsG9RC-XL.jpg

Looks good. LMK when you need help with it in the house.
Soon Mike. Soon.
Wow, coming along nicely. I know where to go now to get woodwork done :)
LOL.

Hello, great build. Can you post some pics of your finished plumbling when you get a chance? Thanks!
Will do. Hope to do a freshwater test in the next week or 2.

Great build subscribed!
Thanks!
Sick rock. You do not have many room for your corals.
Actually, with these Vidarocks i have much more room for corals. My last tank i had too much rock that when my corals grew things got really cramped. With less rocks in the display, i am hoping to give my corals more room to grow.

Just a quick update. I ordered the new Waveline 6000 DC pump from Premium Aquatics last week and it came in today. See pictures below:

i-NXnjxCT-X3.jpg

i-h86bCf4-X3.jpg

Some observations about the pump....
  • Its much smaller in size than i thought it would be.
  • It seems to be of a solid construction and pretty well built.
  • It only comes with 1 set of hose bib connectors which are the 1" output and the 1.25" input NPT confirmed by screwing on some extra 1" and 1.25" PVC fittings i had laying around.
  • If you plan to run it submerged, it doesn't come with a basket strainer for the intake. I'm hoping i can find one that will fit online.
  • It doesn't come with instructions (although i don't think its really necessary).
  • It has small rubber feet on the bottom about the size of pencil erasers that i hope will be enough to dampen any vibrations.

I hope to pick up the lights this week from Reefgeek. Looks like i will be going for the 24" ATI T5/LED Hybrids. That will probably be my next update. Its been a pretty busy summer and i've only had a few hours every weekend to work on the tank so things are progressing pretty slowly. With the pump here, i can start on the plumbing. Once i get the lights, i really have no other excuse left. :lol:

Ramon I got the 24" led's cover up the whole tank nicely. Im really happy about using this size. I just installed the bulbs today but could 't turn them on. I wonder if they go in a certain way. You are more than welcome to drop by and check it out unless you have made up your mind.

Now i have a dilemma. I'm running a Herbie drain system. My sump has a chamber for a refugium or for a place to stick some extra live rocks or detox blox into (if i can get my hands on some). How should i feed my fuge?

1. I can tee off the main Herbie drain and split it into 2. The main drain will have a gate valve on it.....then after the tee, i can stick another gate valve on the fuge side. I'm hearing mixed reports that the Herbie won't work if i split it. Anyone here try it?

2. I can tee off my return pump and feed the fuge that way. I'd prefer #1 if it will work but #2 isn't a bad option either.

Ramon,

Tee the main Herbie drain before the valve and divide the flow between the Refugium and the skimmer each having their own valve. There is no need to put a valve on the emergency drain.

It will take a little more work to balance the flow but it will not rob your return and you can either get more flow through the return or turn down the pump.

It is kind of a waste of electricity to use your return pump for something that gravity can do.

Dan

Hi Dan. I agree with your suggestions if it will work. Will I have restart issues as the 2 outputs balance each other out? Ive heard that may be the case. Have you tried it this way?

I have not set it up with a split Herbie.

I suspect that if the piping is symmetrical and both compartments of the sump are at close to the same level you should not have an issue with startup. But this is just speculation as I have not set it up this way.

I have not set it up with a split Herbie.

I suspect that if the piping is symmetrical and both compartments of the sump are at close to the same level you should not have an issue with startup. But this is just speculation as I have not set it up this way.

Hey Dan, well i think that's going to be a problem then as both compartments are at different heights and the piping is not symmetrical. What you say does make sense though as both of those factors have a direct impact on the pressure and flow.

Quick update. I picked up the lights from Reefgeek on Friday. I got the 24" version and i definitely think i'll be fine with the coverage. These lights are super bright and the LED's pack a punch. The programming software seems pretty intuitive and i've already created my break-in program and am running it right now.
I ran it last night and when we were driving down the street coming home from dinner there was a strange blue glow emanating from the sky lights in the front of the house. Looked kind of eerie. Since it was only a matter of time before my neighbors probably called the cops on me for running a "growing" operation i moved everything to the back room this morning. :)

I do wonder though how these lights will work if they are hooked up to a controller such as an Apex. Sometimes i like to turn my lights on outside of the schedule and i'm not sure how to do this without having to reprogram it each time (which would completely suck). I'm gonna post to the ATI/T5 Hybrid thread and see if i can get my answer there: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2274338

I do wonder though how these lights will work if they are hooked up to a controller such as an Apex. Sometimes i like to turn my lights on outside of the schedule and i'm not sure how to do this without having to reprogram it each time (which would completely suck). I'm gonna post to the ATI/T5 Hybrid thread and see if i can get my answer there: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2274338

You can turn switches off and on with a click of a button so I don't think it'll be an issue.

You can turn switches off and on with a click of a button so I don't think it'll be an issue.

Hey Justin. What button? The buttons on the ATI are only used to switch into demo mode, change time, or to program it. I don't think there is an on/off switch anywhere.

Lets say my ATI program is set to have the lights all off between 1am and 10am. Now lets say I want to turn on the lights as 8am. I flip the switch on the Apex to turn it on but since the ATI isn't programmed to turn on until 10am, the lights remain off.

Back