My 180 4sided viewable in-wall build

Well done!!! I love how you did the over flows...you have some great building skills.

thank you very much! I learned it all from other build threads and some local knowledge. I really could never have pulled it off without so much help...

Your design is really turning into a great presentation!

It already looks really great. But, once you get some grow out happening, this is going to be an awesome display!!!

Nice work!

This is really the challange isn't it... controlling, shaping the grow-out... I do not want to lose the open feeling of the tank, but I do want it to grow out... should be fun to find the balance...

Thanks for looking

CloseUps28of29.jpg

CloseUps27of29.jpg

CloseUps9of29.jpg

CloseUps14of29.jpg

My wife found this for $50!
CloseUps19of29.jpg

Orange tipped Elegance Coral...
CloseUps20of29.jpg

CloseUps13of29.jpg

first, thanks Shtefan for the complement. There is a "how to take aquarium photos" thread, part 1 and 2, in the photography forum here on RC and it REALLY helped me a lot.

Second.. Update time!
I've been concerned about the dosing setup in my system. I think I mentioned it before but in redoing my sump I wanted to drop several of the power-heads that were feeding reactors and skimmer and what not and use some of the "over power" that was coming from my return pump to feed these... might as well get the electrical bill down a bit eh?

So as it turns out, that part of the plan worked very well! However, the coral nutrients/amino acids and what not, which are being dosed into the sump are now being fed back into the display, AND back to the skimmer, reactors etc... basically reducing their effectiveness.

I picked up another 4-pump dosing pump for my GHL (bringing the total to 12now) and I plan to put it under the display and and dose directly into the display...

The Challange: For those following, you know me... you know that Form leads Function.. so i need to find a way to run 6 dosing lines (yes, more on that later) from under the tank, into the tank over the euro-bracing and not have it look like a pile of wires/tubes... that would be tragic given everything else is hidden...

The Plan: I cannot call it a solution until I try it... but from old photos on this thread, I can see the stud-work in the walls.. :) I think i can open up a wall without crazy work/fixes, and get all of the lines hidden inside the wall... then they can come out at the top of the tank, from the broad-side of the 2x4 stud and feed quitely into the top corner of the tank ...

I'm not sure I can get to this project this weekend, but it is my goal. I'll up some photos of the project... which will include (for now), 6 dosing lines in the wall and 1 GHL pump 25feet away from the head-unit, some kind of rack/stand to make it look pro..

Would you not achieve the same effect by running the dosing lines into the pump return area of your sump? That would save you running lines from the doser up to the tank.

Dave.M

Would you not achieve the same effect by running the dosing lines into the pump return area of your sump? That would save you running lines from the doser up to the tank.

Dave.M

That's basically what I have setup Dave. The issue is that the return pump itself, the return line actually, is split. the "right side" goes to the display and the "left side" goes back to the sump. I've setup a manifold on the left-side return-line that feeds the skimmer, the carbon reactor, the phosban reactor and the UV steralizer.

So, without flow meters and assuming all things equal... 50% of the water goes out the right-side and goes to the display and 50% goes back to the sump, directly into the skimmer,reactors etc...

The baling method dosing is fine to stay in the pump because it is un-affected by this setup...

but the Amino-Acids as an example are readily skimmed out...

This is just me spit balling here, I haven't put much thought into it. However, what about teeing the 6 small lines from the doser right into the return plumbing (only)? That way 100% of everything that is being dosed is going into the tank first.

Hookup said:
That's basically what I have setup Dave. The issue is that the return pump itself, the return line actually, is split.
D'uh! Sorry, I didn't appreciate that bit. Okay, so what if you took all your Balling lines and sent them to one small pseudo-sump with its own small return pump so that only one return line to the tank would be necessary. I don't know what the feed rate is so that might not be practical. Same with Sisterlimonpot's suggestion. The rate of return from each line would determine the doability.

Dave.M

I am interested in this too, I have always set up a return pump to feed as much equipment as possible via a manifold. However I have never dosed automatically as you are currently, although I had planned to and auto dose into the return section for the aminos and foods to be flooded into the display. I havent given a moments thought to how un-effective that may be. By the time the aminos or foods hit the tank they will have passed through several pieces of equipment ( not the skimmer) that could well reduce the effectiveness of what I am dosing.

Can I ask if your thoughts on the lack of effectiveness are assumptions?..have you managed to quantify anything? What in your opinion was the biggest factor in the loss of effectiveness?...the skimmer?

If it is the skimmer would it be easier to alter where that picks up from rather than altering the dosing system?...ie can you gravity feed it and have it dump into the return section and continue to dose as you are?

very interested in the outcome on this, thanks for sharing. Awesome tank!

On most amino suppliments it's recommended to shut the skimmer and bypass any other filtration to allow maximum absorbtion by the corals.
I have a bubble magus automatic dosing system but I dose slinks and iodine manually for this reason, that way I can shut off all filtration for 20 minutesh after dosing.

I added some non-photosynthetic gorgs and a fan to the display... I'm manually dosing foods, but the auto dosing should be installed over the weekend... Once I get them settled ill add some photos... The saga continues... Yeah!

Dosing pump relocation was a complete success! I'm very pleased with the result... Will snap photos and post shortly.

Really happy!!!

lookin good buddy. i see you are leaning towards the dark side. Looking forward to more photos of your non-photos ;)

Back