My 180 4sided viewable in-wall build

lookin good buddy. i see you are leaning towards the dark side. Looking forward to more photos of your non-photos ;)

Thanks! The NPS are cool... But I'm not doing well with them yet... Hopefully I can get the magic working... Consistent dosing is helping though

Dosing System

Dosing System

Well it has been a horribly long time since the last update. I was able to solve the dosing was to add a third dosing pump (GHL) to the overall setup and move two of them (8 individual pumps) up under the tank.

I made a shelf, and ran the tubing under and out the side of the tank and up into the display. I hid the tubes using home-sterio wire hiding trim... i got mine at canadian tire, but it's available all over the place..

Here are some photos.

Dosing-1.jpg

Dosing-2.jpg

Dosing-3.jpg

Dosing-4.jpg

Dosing-5.jpg

Dosing-6.jpg

To keep things nice and neat at the display I used a small piece of acrylic and put some holes in a nice pattern that would line up with the mesh cover. Then using some stiff plastic tubing (sold at a local pet-store chain) i was able to have the dosing delivered neat-and-tidy to the tank.

I'm pleased enough with the solution, though I do think I need to add a light box to the top of the tank, to stop the UV from attacking the contents in the tubing.

NPS update

NPS update

I had added several NPS species to the system and have been dosing faunamarin NPS foods...

The corkscrew gorgs are doing great. No issues.

The purple and yellow sea-fan is gone. :( I'm very sad to see that go. It was doing very-very well and we went away for a week and when I came back it was covered in algae... I've no idea why. The dosing was working, things were looking really-really good... but after two weeks it was just done so I pulled it.

The purple and orange gorgs also had to go... the purple just got worse and worse from day one... and the orange never put a polyp out... eventually just got pulled.

I'm not sure why, other than food volumes need to be higher... but i'm nervous about adding more to the display.... i'll try again at a future date.

Fish Update

Fish Update

I added some final fish. It's sad to see the final fish go into the system. If there are no future losses i believe I am at my maximum limit.

I added 6 "undefined" Anthias. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2056904)

I really like these fish and love the movement they add to the system.

So far the system is holding stable at 0.3ppm Phosphate and 2-3ppm nitrate. My goal is to keep these stable and / or lower slightly. I've not been good at pre-rinsing my frozen food... - having a huge watervolume makes me a bit lazy - well, it's now happening each and every time to see what impact that will have, if any.

Perhaps the way to go with NPS is to get them feeding in QT so you know you will have at least a chance before putting them into your main DT (?).

Dave.M

I don't know. It's just a suggestion. But it would let you know if the gorg or whatever is going to make it before committing it to the display tank.

Dave.M

I don't know. It's just a suggestion. But it would let you know if the gorg or whatever is going to make it before committing it to the display tank.

Dave.M

True, true... :)

I will quest for another sea fan like I had... And try again. It lasted since the photos, so about 2monsths... But I'll wait till it matches with a time period where I don't travel for a week...

I'm currently on a coral quest... Looking for some super corals for the tank... I've got too much rock and not enuf coral...

And I have an LED project I'm starting soon as well... ATI + ReefBrights... Modification / Retrofit / SexyHacks. Photos for sure on that build....

Update:
I'm not dead, just feel like it. Traveling less, but i have a serious case of summer tank syndrome... so no photos at this time...

Got some new corals in that i'm pretty happy with.. a yellow milli and a pink/red one... Bali stuff...

But with a 10 day trip up north shipping off in 4 days, right now i'm all about fitting as many water changes into the time I have left... It's my coral-safty system... do 3 or 4 50gal changes the week before I leave for a week and everything works good... Less baby-sitter training that way also.. ;)

Anyhow, the winter-fish-tank season is right around the corner... i'm sure things will look better then...

BTW, check out Blue Eco (Ecco?) pumps... I think i'm going to replace my two CL pumps with two of these bad-boys... drop that $400/month hydro bill.

Hey how are you (and your fish) liking that automatic feeder?

The pellet autofeeder is ok. It is very basic and only doses in one of three modes, once a day, 2x a day or 3x a day. All lag-intervals based upon when you set it to start. But it works and the fish eat.

The particle feeding works great via the dosing pump.

I shut it down.

:)

Ok, it works very very well, but i think the food solutions need to be suspended better via some auto-stirring device, and they NEED to be refrigerated. I am looking for a VERY small fridge to hackup and put under my tank. I haven't put the effort into this yet, it's a winter project. I have sourced some reasonably priced magnetic stirring devices. One that is air-powered (I haven't ordered but it is cheap) and one that is battery that I have and it works, but about $80 vs $40... so i'm not sure yet.

I think that either a fridge for boats (marine fridges often open from the top like a chest freezer but are very compact, even at 18"x18") or a portable 12v cooler designed to plug into your car and keep your beer cold when camping might be the right solution. Mini-Bar fridges are too big in general, though I did find a "specality" coke-o-cola ( or is it coke-a-cola?) anyhow, one of those that holds like 6 cans and sits on your desk at work ...

Anyhow, i need to keep the multiple suspended dosing foods stirred and cold. Fridge and magnetic stirring seems to be the best, and I've yet to really get into that problem.

PS: bubbling air seems to make things more like a skimmer, even with really big bubbles... so i'm not a fan of that right now.

How about a few update photos...

NAW... those are borring.... so some PREVIEW PHOTOS?

Much better... A new modification is being done to the setup.. this is the tested results...
TheNextPhase-2.jpg

TheNextPhase-3.jpg

TheNextPhase-4.jpg

TheNextPhase-5.jpg

TheNextPhase-6.jpg

Those are great shots Tim. The corals look like they're in fantastic shape.

Where's the FTS??

Thanks! I'm adding "photoshop" to my tank! More to follow on how.

Ps those are real colors... Not fakes.

Back