My Black Ocellaris pair are spawning!!!

...I have a good sized Elegance in my tank now though and they took to that much better than the BTA. I want to get a couple more of them. :)
They both go into the Elegance from time to time. Big Momma more so than the picasso right now, so they are going back and forth between the algae on the wall and the elegance.

I don't think it's good for your elegance to be hosting clowns. Keep an eye on it.

Ok I've been a little remiss on the updates so here goes.

Here's the overall growout system pic. Notice the orange guys on the far end. the biggest guys are closest in the pic.

IMG_3239_Small.jpg

Here's the big guys.

IMG_3244_Small.jpg

IMG_3243_Small.jpg

Here's the youngest batch of Black O's

IMG_3249_Small.jpg

Here's the Orange guy from oldest to youngest.

IMG_3246_Small.jpg

IMG_3250_Small.jpg

IMG_3251_Small.jpg

Mom in her BTA that moved out of the pipe finally. It makes my job alot easier. I was having to remove it every time I had to pull the eggs...

IMG_3255_Small.jpg

Papa guarding the eggs.

IMG_3253_Small.jpg

More GBTA's and RBTA's in the Orange guys tank

IMG_3257_Small.jpg

IMG_3258_Small.jpg

IMG_3259_Small.jpg

Future breeding stock in the sump hopefully

IMG_3261_Small.jpg

Frag anyone?

IMG_3263_Small.jpg

I may regret that Xenia hitch hiker :)

IMG_3264_Small.jpg

Overall of the Orange guys tank

IMG_3265_Small.jpg

Full tank shot of my main tank w/ Black Clown pair. The Haddoni is all shrunk up. Something obviously irritated it. My SPS is doing pretty well now. they are starting to grow nice. I have a pretty good flatworm issue and some aiptasia but I'm working on it.

IMG_3271_Small.jpg

Really Big Momma

IMG_3266_Small.jpg

Wow.. nice pics... I can't believe how large your grow out system is and how many clowns you have.. it's amazing. Clown Balls.. lol... that would be cool to sit there and watch them swarm or food.. lol

Flatworms eeeek.. I haven't had that issue yet, knock on wood.

Your BTA's are looking really nice now.. it would be cool to see a full anemone tank. That's it, nothing else. Just nems and clowns.

Oh.. and if you start regretting your xenia hitch hikers let me know, I love the stuff and it is finally just making a come back in my system since October. Once I started dosing it started making a comeback.

Hey Sid, yeah I have heard of some horror stories with clowns using the elegance as a host, most of those were from the maroon clowns, I have been watching my female in mine and she goes in it when it is fully expanded, does some dive bombing in there and swims through the fleshy channels, steals a little pellet food from it too, but it seems no worse for wear, it doesn't even retract when she is in it or change it's tentacles like it would when stressed.

new fry

new fry

Hi Rob. After how many days after hatching do you run the sponge filter?

My eggs hatched over the weekend and it is due to large part because of this thread. I tried waiting to scoop the fry but I never had any success. The tile you showed worked and I used the same bubble rate that you had. So far it's been good. I appreciate all the work that you have done and your generous advice. Thank you for all your work.

Bernie

Hi Bernie,

I add the filter at about 7 days. What kind of clowns are yours? I hope you have good luck with them.

I have captive bred orange ocellaris. The eggs hatched over a span of two nights (this past Fri & Sat nights). I'm sure there's more than a hundred fry.

I might run out of rotis. I have not been very good at attending the rotis so the density has not been good. I just hope the rotis hang on till the fry are old enough for brine shrimp.

I'm thinking of getting the Otohime Starter Kit from Reef Nutrition. If I order today, I should get it on Day 5 of the fry hatching. What do you think? Do you think your fish stock do better with the otohime rather than the bbs?

It's really fun watching all the fry darting about. My kids have already determined that I'm going to get rich from all the Nemo fish that we are going to sell.:)

Rob; the pictures look great, seems that eveyone is doing well, i'm a little behind on the orange ones though occs?

Rotifer Diet (R) is a super concentrated microalgae formulated for feeding cultures of zooplankton(rotifers, copepods, daphnia, artemia), filer feeders(shellfish, corals), and other micro feeders.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contains: Nannochlopsis (1-2 microns in size)
cell count: ~18 billion cells per ML

Directions:

Add enough Rotifer Diet to maintain a light green color (light lime green) between feedings. Typically this will be 2 - 3 ml's of Rotifer Diet daily per million rotifers.

Keep refrigerated at all times.
Do not blend.

That is the "Reef Nutrition" brand and he's using the "Instant Algae" brand as it is the only RD that comes in a 1 liter bag. There are no instructions printed on his and his is much denser then the Reef Nutrition one.

I have captive bred orange ocellaris. The eggs hatched over a span of two nights (this past Fri & Sat nights). I'm sure there's more than a hundred fry.

I might run out of rotis. I have not been very good at attending the rotis so the density has not been good. I just hope the rotis hang on till the fry are old enough for brine shrimp.

I'm thinking of getting the Otohime Starter Kit from Reef Nutrition. If I order today, I should get it on Day 5 of the fry hatching. What do you think? Do you think your fish stock do better with the otohime rather than the bbs?

It's really fun watching all the fry darting about. My kids have already determined that I'm going to get rich from all the Nemo fish that we are going to sell.:)

For your rots situation I would start another culture in nsw and heat it to 75 or so to get it going. By the time you run out hopefully this one will be able to save your butt.

I think you should get the Otohime. I don't think my fish do better on it. I know for a fact they do. And its alot less work for me so its win win.

Lol. I wouldn't order the Bentley just yet..

Rob; the pictures look great, seems that eveyone is doing well, i'm a little behind on the orange ones though occs?

Thanks Dazed. They are Occs. I bought them from a local reefer and they started laying right away for me.

That is the "Reef Nutrition" brand and he's using the "Instant Algae" brand as it is the only RD that comes in a 1 liter bag. There are no instructions printed on his and his is much denser then the Reef Nutrition one.

Thanks for clearing that up Gresham. I'm going to order the Rotifer Diet II next time and give it a try.

It looks great GreshamH. I'll be ordering it next time for sure. I want to try some Rotifer Floss as well.

hey Rob. Any advice on feeding Otohime A? My fry (I only have 4 left) are eating bbs, but doesn't seem to take the Otohime. Fry is 16 days old.

First spawn !

First spawn !

On Sunday, I looked in my tank and thought, what the heck is growing in my tank NOW?? At first, I thought it was some type of fungus. Took about a minute for me to realize that my pair of Ocellaris Clowns had laid their first batch of eggs! I've had the clowns for about 15 months, and they immediately paired up with my Sebae Anemone. I never really noticed any behavior indicating they might spawn soon, so this was unexpected and very exciting!! I know very little about breeding clowns, but from what little I read, I understand it's a pretty complex process, time consuming, and there's tons to read up on before diving into it. I may read up over the summer, and when the summer is over and my vacations are over, I might attempt to raise a batch in the fall... if the clowns keep spawning. There are a couple hundred eggs. Today is day 4. Last night the eggs changed from bright orange to brown. Curious about a couple things. I see the clowns, mainly the male, are tending to the eggs. What exactly are they doing? You'd almost think they were eating the eggs, but I don't think they are because there seems to be the same amount of eggs now, as when they laid them 3 days ago. Are they cleaning the eggs? I know that any larvae, if the eggs hatch, won't survive in the display because there won't be anything for them to eat, and they will probably get eaten by other fish or skimmed out, but let's say that lack of food wasn't an issue, wouldn't the babies take cover in the Anemone and have protection there from other fish like they would in the ocean? The clowns laid the eggs, on the rock right under the 13" Sebae Anemone. The Anemone is usually draped over this rock, but since the clowns laid the eggs, they seem to be keeping the Anemone off of the rock so that he's not draped over their eggs. The Anemone is almost standing at attention for lack of a better description. When the lights are out, they seem to be allowing the Anemone back into his normal position and he's draped over the eggs and the rocks. This is quite neat to watch and so much better than checking out your tank and finding some pest or
nuisance algae! Pam

hey Rob. Any advice on feeding Otohime A? My fry (I only have 4 left) are eating bbs, but doesn't seem to take the Otohime. Fry is 16 days old.

Hey sid700 I'm sorry I really had thought I replied to you. Its possible yours are getting old enough they are going to be a bit finicky because of all the live food. I start mine before they even go through meta. Just cut back the BBS and feed a little A and they should get used to it. Slowly wean them completely from the BBS.

On Sunday, I looked in my tank and thought, what the heck is growing in my tank NOW?? At first, I thought it was some type of fungus. Took about a minute for me to realize that my pair of Ocellaris Clowns had laid their first batch of eggs! I've had the clowns for about 15 months, and they immediately paired up with my Sebae Anemone. I never really noticed any behavior indicating they might spawn soon, so this was unexpected and very exciting!! I know very little about breeding clowns, but from what little I read, I understand it's a pretty complex process, time consuming, and there's tons to read up on before diving into it. I may read up over the summer, and when the summer is over and my vacations are over, I might attempt to raise a batch in the fall... if the clowns keep spawning. There are a couple hundred eggs. Today is day 4. Last night the eggs changed from bright orange to brown. Curious about a couple things. I see the clowns, mainly the male, are tending to the eggs. What exactly are they doing? You'd almost think they were eating the eggs, but I don't think they are because there seems to be the same amount of eggs now, as when they laid them 3 days ago. Are they cleaning the eggs? I know that any larvae, if the eggs hatch, won't survive in the display because there won't be anything for them to eat, and they will probably get eaten by other fish or skimmed out, but let's say that lack of food wasn't an issue, wouldn't the babies take cover in the Anemone and have protection there from other fish like they would in the ocean? The clowns laid the eggs, on the rock right under the 13" Sebae Anemone. The Anemone is usually draped over this rock, but since the clowns laid the eggs, they seem to be keeping the Anemone off of the rock so that he's not draped over their eggs. The Anemone is almost standing at attention for lack of a better description. When the lights are out, they seem to be allowing the Anemone back into his normal position and he's draped over the eggs and the rocks. This is quite neat to watch and so much better than checking out your tank and finding some pest or
nuisance algae! Pam

Congrats Pam good luck with them!

Thanks. Today is day 5 and I can see the tiny eyes in the eggs. Sad knowing they don't have a chance of surviving. :( But on a positive note, I know have a breeding pair of clowns, and it looks like their first batch of eggs are thriving. :) I don't plan on getting into breeding them, but I would like to raise at least one batch (brood?) of eggs later this year.
Pam

Back