My Black Ocellaris pair are spawning!!!

Yes I do get much better survival rates with the tiles but you can't force them to lay on it. They are about the size of Mosquito larvae I'd say. Easily visible.

They weren't impressed with me.. I had to prop it up on a rock (scrubbed) I hope I have the bubbles right.

mini-IMG_1660.jpg

mini-IMG_1661.jpg

I am just getting through your thread. Great btw! Dazed referred me :)

Are you still using this method? I am currently usure if the bubbles should touch the eggs? In this pic, yours does. I put my first tiled clutch of eggs in the 5 gallon last night and they turned whitesh. I didn't have the bubbles touching them. I think this may be the reason why.

Hey, Thanks.

Yes I am with the black ones anyways. I guess my answer is yes and no.. With the black ones that are laying on the tile I have the bubbles running over the eggs. In my experience the bubbles have to be large not the small fizzy ones some airstones produce. I think the reason is the big bubbles dont get stuck in the eggs. They just run through the eggs moving them and circulating water around them. With my orange ones they are laying in pvc tubes. I put a square stone in the center and because of the confined space I get good water movement over the eggs by just having the bubbles pass by the eggs.

Reefers, my current pair spawned but the female ate her laid eggs, is this normal or is she clearing unfertilised eggs?

I don't know the brand of the one i'm using sorry. Just get one with larger grit so the bubbles are bigger.

eniram78: That's completely normal for the first few spawns.

Hey,

Could you post an updated timeline of your feeding schedule since you are using dry food now? i am on day 5 of the black clowns and i am not sure whether to feed NHBBS or dry food that i got through Brine Shrimp Direct (Nuetrually bouyant GP diets, various sized (5microns - 10000microns) broken up by size in batches like othamine does? Any suggestions? Thanks

Hi I have posted my feeding schedule a few times since I switched I think.. Day 5 you should be well on your way with (OtoA) in my case. Or a similar food at 250m. Don't for get you have to wean them from the Rots. Don't just switch.

I have a pair of tank raised o's. The female is a B&W and the male is an orange and white misbar. They just laid what I believe is one of their first batches of eggs. I've seen some peculiar behavior with these 2 for the last couple of months. Been looking for eggs but never saw any. I'd see feeding frenzies just after lights out on a couple of occasions. Now I'm beginning to wonder if they've been laying eggs and I've been missing it. I guess it's academic now, as I've laid eyes on a small batch of eggs. Funny thing is, my friend Pammy (above) just had her first couple of batches. We are in different states but have been emailling each other for over 3 years discussing this crazy hobby.

I just got through reading your thread and would like to take a shot at raising at least one batch. I'm a little lost on the setup for the rotifers. Any good sources of info which discuss this in more detail? Is there a good US based online retailer for this stuff...with perhaps some tutorials?

Great thread. Any ideas on what colors/patterns you might expect from a mixed pair like I have?

Great thread... makes me want to bread fish... but I don't have the room for multiple tanks. Wow... a B&W with a O&W sounds cool

you are definitely a true breeder bro!
i was reading this thread from the beginning and i just wasn't sure it i read it right that you had your heater in the hatching/fry tank at 90 degrees? i read from another breeder at MR that he had his temp at 83-85 degrees. so does it really depend on the kind of clown what temp the frys should be or should the temp be between 83-90 degrees? i have a pair of maroon that lays eggs but i just don't know what to do and would like to know how to really breed them because these guys are really nice.

Thanks. When hatching the tank is at whatever the main tank is. Usually high 70's these days. The fry / growouts are all at 80. I don't know much about maroons sorry. I think they can be difficult to raise.

Hey Rob,

I see you are still hard at work. I certainly have not had time to catch up on your progress. How is everything going for you. I have not had time to even take care of my display tank recently and have not had eggs laid in ages. I keep wanting to get back into the breeding but my current schedule certainly doesn't permit me to do so. Just thought I would stop by here and see what's going on.

A shout out to Dazed as well I see he is still kicking around.

FB

Hey FB how's it goin? Ya I'm still hard at it. My display is typically a mess too. I'm downsizing it to a 30g cube here shortly to help free up some time. It couldn't hurt my hydro bill either :)

Hey FB how's it goin? Ya I'm still hard at it. My display is typically a mess too. I'm downsizing it to a 30g cube here shortly to help free up some time. It couldn't hurt my hydro bill either :)

I'm do'in pretty good. Life is busy my daughter is going to be 2 this month and my son 5 in November so not much time for anything else. When I do get a break it's sitting on my arse relaxing.

What do you have on the go currently. Are you still breeding the single pair? You must have it down pretty well now. What kind of numbers are you getting? I still have the strong urge to start up again but know it just not feasible for both time and space.

My hydro was almost $400.00 a month when I stopped. Mind you last month was $260.00 with just my display tank. I bought something a couple months ago and still had credit at the store where I was bringing my fish. I'm sure it's almost gone.

I took a look back a couple of pages and just read about your big loss back in March. Did I see that you have to Occ. on the go as well. Do you have any recent pics of the whole setup. If you already posted just let me know what page it's on and I can go look.

Keep up the good work

FB

First off amazing thread, took me a while to read it all. A lot of good info in here.

Just out of curiosity have you tried 100% Otohime on any set without using any rotifers. I have heard rumors of that working but with lower survival rates. Many of us interested in doing so would be more than happy with 10-20 surviving every 2 weeks and I would have no idea how to move that many. if you havn't tried is there any chance you would give it a shot on 1 set just to see how it goes, maybe on a set that you were not gonna raise any as oppossed to letting them become fish food in the main tank. Anything to make the process easier for even less complicated set ups would go a long way to take pressure off the reefs.

I'm do'in pretty good. Life is busy my daughter is going to be 2 this month and my son 5 in November so not much time for anything else. When I do get a break it's sitting on my arse relaxing.

What do you have on the go currently. Are you still breeding the single pair? You must have it down pretty well now. What kind of numbers are you getting? I still have the strong urge to start up again but know it just not feasible for both time and space.

My hydro was almost $400.00 a month when I stopped. Mind you last month was $260.00 with just my display tank. I bought something a couple months ago and still had credit at the store where I was bringing my fish. I'm sure it's almost gone.

I took a look back a couple of pages and just read about your big loss back in March. Did I see that you have to Occ. on the go as well. Do you have any recent pics of the whole setup. If you already posted just let me know what page it's on and I can go look.

Keep up the good work

FB

Ya Kids can take up alot of time. I know all about that. Mine are pretty good now. One is 18 and the other is 11 so they don't take up near as much as they used to.

I have 1 pair of Orange in a 30g with some frags / BTA's and 1 pair of B&W in my 190. I have another pair of Orange Occs that were supposed to be a breeding pair but have never laid for me in my Fuge and a second pair of B&W for future breeding in the sump of the 30g. I have 3 Larvae tanks full and on the go and 7 growout tanks and the 30g cube setup temporarily in my basement.

Ya my hydro is about that too. It sucks. I'm hoping switching to this cube will help that some. I'm going to be able to eliminate alot of duplicate equipment / pumps by joining the 2 30g systems together so we'll see.

The whole setup hasn't really changed any. Just more tanks strewn about the house. I'll have to get off my butt and post some pics.

First off amazing thread, took me a while to read it all. A lot of good info in here.

Just out of curiosity have you tried 100% Otohime on any set without using any rotifers. I have heard rumors of that working but with lower survival rates. Many of us interested in doing so would be more than happy with 10-20 surviving every 2 weeks and I would have no idea how to move that many. if you havn't tried is there any chance you would give it a shot on 1 set just to see how it goes, maybe on a set that you were not gonna raise any as oppossed to letting them become fish food in the main tank. Anything to make the process easier for even less complicated set ups would go a long way to take pressure off the reefs.

Thanks I appreciate your comments. I haven't tried Oto only. I may try some day. Who knows. I don't have time for experiments usually. My day is pretty full already without setting up a tank / feeding it multiple times a day only to possibly get 10 - 20 misbars.. Not to mention what it costs to get those fish to a point where you can make a determination of the success. I'll post if I do try it. It would be interesting.

I tried twice when I had no rotifers. Results were dismal (0). You really do need the rots. I was able to get some results using rots to day 3 and then oto starting day 4. Again results were not very good, but some did live.

FB

Back