My HUGE 42 Gallon project...

OK, so here's the latest....

Got my Urchin Pro PS on Tuesday, Bought some Makeman sand, rinsed until damn near clear, Bought some live rock at Coral Culture yesterday, put some water in the tank and it's a go.

DSC_2620.jpg

Had to Dremel about a half inch out of the eurobrace for the PS to fit in the sump

DSC_2621.jpg

Hose on the return for ease of maintenance and reduce vibrations/noise

DSC_2606.jpg

Overflow itself, a bit noisy at first, due to the amount of fall the water took, but reduced it significantly by adjusting the valve above the mag 5. Hopefully not putting too much stress on the pump itself.

DSC_2625.jpg

Now to the cool part, so I go to Coral Culture and Iwase tells me that the rock is not really live rock, but nonetheless, it was full of tubes and good color, cheap, etc. so I bought eight pieces, thinking if anything else, I'd seed it. I get home and put one in a steyrofoam box, gave it a shake to see what came off of it and voila !

Copepods, amphipods, micro stars, micro snails, all kinds of "live" stuff. So as far as I'm concerned, the rock he sells is live rock, minus coraline but literally every piece of rock had 40-80 mini-organisms in it, urchins and sponges etc.

DSC_2614.jpg

DSC_2617copy.jpg

Now, I'll get some more "live" rock this weekend, start aquascaping a bit, wait some, put in a starter cleanup crew, wait some, complete the cleanup crew, install the T-5's, put in a blue damsel, wait some, then start putting in some frags.

Oh, yeah, when I got the rock at coral culture, he gave me as much saltwater as I could carry (60L), and even threw in a pulsating xenia... but he told me to keep it hush hush, and there I go putting it up on a message board, he he.

Dont add a damsel. they are a pain in the butt the LR itself will seed the tank and start the cycle. Just let it run by itself for a few weeks (with water testing)and slowly add livestock (clean up crew). Also, be careful with your powerhead near the sand like it is. if it sucks up sand, it can tear the impeller up.

Hey Jeff, remember what I told you about my Powerhead idea..? well it's done, and it looks great.... I'm gonna give it a couple weeks before I put it in. Which reminds me ...

Cycling....

If you get Rock which has been "cured" and is live, and you get water from the deep ocean, isn't the tank essentially cycled....?

Thoughts...? comments...?

Both my tanks were done the same way, live rock and live water. While the process was much milder and I think it only took a few weeks, they both cycled. I could tell by looking at the algae in the tank. For a few weeks some algae was growing and then one day it all disappeared. I tested too, but algae showed everything the test kit was telling me. When you do a start up from mix it seems like that tank has to crash before it starts coming back. I wouldn't be surprised if most fish could have survived my tanks cycling with an all-live start up, but I didn't risk it.

For those snails, your more than welcome to come over and grab a few, as I said, but also...wait until next weekend and head on down to Torri or any other beach and grab all of the snails you need during low tide. I grabbed a bunch of different snails and then ID'd them when I got home. As I said in my other thread, had I bought these snails from the states, they would have run me almost $700. insane.

yeah, that's what I've done in the past, well actually, I give my kids a bucket a piece and tell them to grab away everything they can except, any conch's, just in case.... Then I just "filter" the stuff that I need or don't need.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8910522#post8910522 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by teto_78
Hey Jeff, remember what I told you about my Powerhead idea..? well it's done, and it looks great....

Cool, Post up some pics!

I'll take some pics tommorrow, but it's going well, been running for about a week now.

* Still adding rock need about 10 more pieces...
* Waiting on the darn T-5 bulbs, so I can finish of my canopy.
* Cleanup crew doing the dirty work.
* Urchin Pro Protein Skimmer being broken in.

Live Rock:

* Abalone

jj0603page8-01.jpg

* Astrea

astrea01.jpg

* Nassarius Snail

TANK0326097.jpg

*Urchins

061109-urchin-genome_big.jpg

* Spiny Brittle Star

dcp03466co.jpg

*Crabs

*Sponges

Beach:

*Mexican Turbo

marinedepotlive_1921_40817200

* Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crabs

0212yadokari01.jpg

* Cowry's

tiger_cowry.jpg

id stay away from the urchins, unless they are about 1/2 the size of your fist. They are great cleaning agents, but will knock your corals over, and that will get annoying real fast, sticking your hands in the tank and picking up corals...

ALso watch those crabs, they will much on the snails if they get hungry. Ive thrown many out the door. litterly. :lol:

looks lik eyou have a real nice collection.

oh, just noticed, my powerhead is just "hanging out" for the moment, I will post my "powerhead project" as soon as it goes in this week.

Back