My Neptune Apex web interface compatible DIY reef controller

Ok I will check that, I thought the port was what port I set on my wifi router, but it is actually the one from my ISP correct?

Ya i think i got confused I was thinking when it said
#define ROUTER_IP 192,168,1,1 //change this to your router ip address
#define ROUTER_PORT 8081 //usually port 80 for the ip configuration web page
that is meant my WIFI/local router, i didnt realize it meant the ISP router

I have a quick question on the ATO circuit, on the schematic it shows the ATO going to the arduino pins, does ther other side go to ground or 5V? and is there any resistors needed?

Ya i think i got confused I was thinking when it said
#define ROUTER_IP 192,168,1,1 //change this to your router ip address
#define ROUTER_PORT 8081 //usually port 80 for the ip configuration web page
that is meant my WIFI/local router, i didnt realize it meant the ISP router

I have a quick question on the ATO circuit, on the schematic it shows the ATO going to the arduino pins, does ther other side go to ground or 5V? and is there any resistors needed?

If I recall correctly, the controller needs to find a port on the router to validate that the ethernet connection is up and working. For most routers this is port 80, I have an Apple Airport Extreme, port 80 is not available, so I used another host.

This may have changed, I am awaiting the LED before another software update. So this was the router port, and on port 80, the host port for the AQ controller is in the network section of the software, 8000 is defined here.

The DNS IP address on my setting is set to google at 8.8.8.8, which is probably one of the most reliable DNS servers global!

Hope this helps

I'm back and will resume working on the controller again.

I was planning to do some work over the holidays but that did not happen :)
There was a really nasty wind storm a couple weeks ago and knocked the power out for over 24 hours. Luckily I have a generator ready. I bought that 3 years ago ($250 from costco) and it was the first time I used it. I think without it, I would be tankless now, so I think the generator paid for itself after one use.

I just received the lumia chip a couple days ago. That was almost 2 months since I placed the order. I'll be more selective next time I buy and avoid using aliexpress if possible. I never had any problem buying from chinese sellers on ebay. The dispute escalation process of aliexpress is a joke. I have not tested the lumia led yet.

I also moved my work setup to another room, so my test setup is completely dismantled right now. I need to redo most of the development work since I lost the files when my laptop crashed and the only copy of arduino code I have is whatever is on github. I have since configured the files to backup to OneDrive.

I'm back and will resume working on the controller again.

I was planning to do some work over the holidays but that did not happen :)
There was a really nasty wind storm a couple weeks ago and knocked the power out for over 24 hours. Luckily I have a generator ready. I bought that 3 years ago ($250 from costco) and it was the first time I used it. I think without it, I would be tankless now, so I think the generator paid for itself after one use.

I just received the lumia chip a couple days ago. That was almost 2 months since I placed the order. I'll be more selective next time I buy and avoid using aliexpress if possible. I never had any problem buying from chinese sellers on ebay. The dispute escalation process of aliexpress is a joke. I have not tested the lumia led yet.

I also moved my work setup to another room, so my test setup is completely dismantled right now. I need to redo most of the development work since I lost the files when my laptop crashed and the only copy of arduino code I have is whatever is on github. I have since configured the files to backup to OneDrive.

Happy New Year glad to see you back

FWIW, Tayda has a US based seller
http://stores.ebay.com/Thai-Shine

They sell pretty much the same items as the thailand store, just cost a little more. They send via first class mail (I think from Utah), so it arrives in about 5 days or less.

They are actually in Louisville, Colorado. For me 25 miles away. So I order from them whenever I can, and I get it next day. :)

Them and SparkFun are my two go to places since its next day turn around since they are local to me.

Welcome Back!

FWIW, Tayda has a US based seller
http://stores.ebay.com/Thai-Shine

They sell pretty much the same items as the thailand store, just cost a little more. They send via first class mail (I think from Utah), so it arrives in about 5 days or less.

Thank you for the info. I have a quick question on the LED code you are working on. is it going to use the PWM pins on the aruino? I have 2 evergrow d120 LEDs and I currently use my arduino to do sunrise sunset with an opamp circuit to convert the 5v PWM to 0-10v signal. will your code do that, or would I have to make my own code?

Thank you for the info. I have a quick question on the LED code you are working on. is it going to use the PWM pins on the aruino? I have 2 evergrow d120 LEDs and I currently use my arduino to do sunrise sunset with an opamp circuit to convert the 5v PWM to 0-10v signal. will your code do that, or would I have to make my own code?

I believe that the last proposed solution was going to use a PCA9685 I2C to PWM chip to drive the5 channel LED solution.

There are spare pins so if you don't mind not having the high resolution dimming, then you should be OK without more parts but you will need to modify the code to suit. It might be worth just waiting until d0ughb0y has written the led code then take it from there.

I started working on adding the change password code. The javascript built in btoa function is all I needed to do base64 encoding. I should be able to upload the code sometime this week. I'll be working on led code next. I have to start from scratch since I lost the pca9685 code I wrote before.

I'm still working on the password change code. It is definitely doable on javascript code to encode/decode base64. I'm still deciding what is the best design.

option 1:
after a program upload and ROM reset, on first web connection, it will prompt to create a login.
option 2:
make default login admin/password. Then in setup page add a page to change login.

since the email alert also requires base64 encoded string, I figured if I go with option 2, then I can make the email setting configurable from the web page as well. So I am leaning towards option 2.

in either case above, the password change will only be allowed if the browser is connected from the local network (internal ip address). So you cannot make this change from the internet.

I also just tested my lumia 5.1 and noticed the violets on channel 5 does not glow like the other leds. I contacted the seller, and the seller claims it is normal as it is in UV range (I thought UV is below 400nm, the violet led is supposed to be 410nm) and it will have a glow of only 5lumens per led, vs 180 lumens for the other leds. I posted a question about this in another thread. Anyway, it probably does not matter, as long as I have my led hardware ready so I can start coding the led code again.

I will simplify the LED code design further. The code I lost, I calculated sunrise/sunset based on latitude and longitude and day of year. I am thinking that is not really necessary hence can be simplified. I will use June 21 and Dec 21 as summer and winter solstice day (actual is +/- 1 day of this), and all I need is a longest and shortest day length (say default to 14 and 10 but configurable) and just calculate the sunrise/sunset daily. I think I can also estimate/calculate solar noon, which is at 12noon on equinox and is shifted the rest of the year. The main objective is to have varying day length throughout the year without having to setup/configure too many parameters. I will initially code using pca9685 and then code using arduino pro mini.

Last edited:
Back