My Neptune Apex web interface compatible DIY reef controller

board is a 4x6 the mega hangs off because on the setup that I use I have circuit for 0-10v analog dimming and needed the room, and forgot to adjust that part the BNC that I use doesn't hang off as far as it shows it is close to where the 3.5mm jacks sit the eagle part I used looks bigger, I might start from scratch on a board layout that doesn't have the 0-10v and I should be able to make it a little smaller

ok so here is my latest layout, moved some stuff around, let me know what you think.

Attachments

• tidepool v.3bottom.pdf
    63.9 KB · Views: 1
  • tidepool v.3layout.pdf
    45 KB · Views: 1
  • tidepool v.3top.pdf
    68 KB · Views: 1
just came back from vacation and was surprised to see the video I posted on youtube went viral. over 276,000 views now. :)
I think on the first day it went viral, it got over 150,000 views in 24 hours.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23571814&postcount=1779

anyway, I am just catching up on my emails and will be sending my led controller files to dirtypcb tomorrow.

this is the latest schematic. I changed the fan driver to use a MOSFET. And pwm 7 and 8 are now adjustable pwm between 3.3 and 10v.
CNGhbwF.png

Last edited:
ok so here is my latest layout, moved some stuff around, let me know what you think.

does the ethernet shield plug in on top of this board?

I think early on someone made a smaller shield the plugs to the back half of the mega. There won't be room for atlas stamps and you will need to run wires to the atlas stamps and connector jacks.

just came back from vacation and was surprised to see the video I posted on youtube went viral. over 276,000 views now. :)
I think on the first day it went viral, it got over 150,000 views in 24 hours.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23571814&postcount=1779

anyway, I am just catching up on my emails and will be sending my led controller files to dirtypcb tomorrow.

this is the latest schematic. I changed the fan driver to use a MOSFET. And pwm 7 and 8 are now adjustable pwm between 3.3 and 10v.
led.png

Been away for awhile, now about to get back to my tank. How many boards are you going to order. I would like to get one.

does the ethernet shield plug in on top of this board?

I think early on someone made a smaller shield the plugs to the back half of the mega. There won't be room for atlas stamps and you will need to run wires to the atlas stamps and connector jacks.

This board is sandwiched between the mega and ethernet, I have 2 atlas stamps on the board, they are on the left hand side of the board, I couldn't find an eagle layout for them so I just used pin headers also can you confirm that the outlet DB9 is correct if you want I will post my schematic

Been away for awhile, now about to get back to my tank. How many boards are you going to order. I would like to get one.

After I have tested hardware and software to work, then I can sell the excess boards. Not sure if people would just want to get the board only or with surface mount components soldered. Part of the changes I made to the board is to use 1206 size resistors instead of 0805 since I have poor eyesight. I tried test soldering 0805 and it was quite a challenge for me. The board has 28 smd parts.

Once finalized, I will post the eagle files to gihub.

This board is sandwiched between the mega and ethernet, I have 2 atlas stamps on the board, they are on the left hand side of the board, I couldn't find an eagle layout for them so I just used pin headers also can you confirm that the outlet DB9 is correct if you want I will post my schematic

I think you can get the dimensions for the atlas stamp from atlas website, then you can use that to create your own eagle library. I think what you did is fine.

I can't tell if your board has the mounting holes to match the mega board. If not, you may want to add that to reinforce the mounting of the board to the mega, since you will be pulling/tugging on the bnc/db9, you want to make sure the board connection to mega stays secure.

do you plan to use the board in its own enclosure and plug it via db9 to chauvet?

I have to check my old notes for the chauvet db9 connection.

it would be in a seperate box, but I don't actually use the Chauvet that is why I was asking about the pin out, I made my own 8 channel relay board as well, I made this version because some were asking for one.
by mounting do you mean bolted in some way to the board? If that's the case I don't, I made this board so that it can be etched at home easly, but I'm sure I could add something easily enough

I'm still waiting for led controller pcb from china, it should arrive this week.
In the meantime, I created an Atlas stamp carrier board and just submitted it to oshpark. It is less than 1 sq inch so cost for 3 is $4.65. Atlas sells this for $11 + shipping, and you cannot daisy chain I2C connection.
You can order it here if you need one
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/emKtmsKP

i.png

i.png

I am going to create a board for current chauvet16 circuit so everything is in a mega shield that sits between the ethernet shield and the mega (not quite sure yet if this is feasible).

as to chauvet16 pcb, the idea is to place all the circuit in a mega shield that is in between the mega and ethernet shield (not sure if this will actually work, note all smd components are on bottom of shield as there is not much clearance between shield and ethernet shield) in order to fit inside the chauvet case. I cut a hole at the icsp connector location so the ethernet shield icsp can connect to the mega.

The shield contains the RTC chip and the drivers to 4 dosing pumps and 3 fans. I am not including uln2803 since most will use the 8 channel relay and uln can easily be added in an external circuit. Then in the array of connectors, you can hook up any function you want in any order. Connection to Atlas stamp is to the atlas stamp carrier in my previous post. The rest of the connections go to 3 or 4pin audio jacks or whatever connection you use (usb, jst, molex, etc).

eFpkFs5.png

Last edited:
good to know, i added them to my schematic, i am going to be making my second board this weekend hopefully, my first prototype worked good but i made some changes to the new one to make things work easier

My First PCB

My First PCB

Want to thank Foggman for sharing files to get me started. Here is my board I etched. I use RJ11 jacks for connections. I have serial PH Stamp and use ULN2803 for connections to a Chauvet Relay and for 12v dosing pumps. . Got it all soldered up and am testing before I enclose in my project box.

7ysAAYhmFI60OPk0YE9XCVxw530uiN4ZN1gDWP0lnDA

Last edited:
nicely done.:thumbsup: that's the advantage of etching pcb yourself. My pcbs from china are still a no show. Its been 2 weeks since it was mailed.

got the pcbs. I have not checked the connections yet. I'll assemble one this weekend.
total time to get the pcb is 4 weeks, 3 weeks of that is shipping.

BI2Bo0Z.jpg

Last edited:
just got pcb from oshpark. I reversed the RX/TX label so I removed the project from oshpark shared projects. I just assembled the ph and cond stamps. soldered the stamps directly.

JI6nKAK.jpg

0gtiZjt.jpg

Last edited:
Back