My Neptune Apex web interface compatible DIY reef controller

Can anyone please email me their modified libraries. I am not new to ardiuno but despite following the directions to a T I can't get this thing to compile. I have tried both 1.0.5 and 1.6.3 placing the libraries in the appropriate location and making the suggested modifications. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Sean

No one?

ok, it seems arduino compiler got updated and caused some libraries to not work. In addition, the latest SdFat library has major changes since the 2013 library I used in chauvet code. Most are pretty straight forward to fix (I just needed to fix the Flash library), except for SdFat code.

I'll update all the code to work with the latest libraries and 1.6.5 IDE and post it to github.

Arduino 1.0.6 should still work with the old copies of the libraries.

interesting. I think it uses the esp8266 for cpu.
It looks like one RGB common anode connection, and two whites, but I'm sure you can connect this as 5 pwm channels. I don't know if it can work as well as meanwell driver to provide constant current source to LED. Maybe that what's the other chip on the board is for.

I got a second oled, and it is also defective, the oled sample programs don't work. at least this one is found by i2c scanner and displays random dots. I still don't know yet if I am going to get yet another one.

I just updated the files on github.
I added libraries.zip. It contains all required libraries, already edited. You need to unzip libraries.zip and place the contents in a folder named "libraries" in your sketchbook folder.
Let me know if there are any issues.

The 12v buck converter on the LED controller stopped working. It was running really hot and the output was only 3v. I just ordered a couple more. I see the price dropped in half since I bought it before. If these don't last long, I'll probably get the meanwell 12v converter.

Last edited:
Sadly im still getting this error while compiling

Chauvet16.ino:12:31: fatal error: LiquidCrystal_I2C.h: No such file or directory
#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>

And i can comfirm its in the sketch folder. C:\Users\Dev\Documents\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal\LiquidCrystal_I2C.h

I extracted your files from github and gave it another go... I did have this same error before so may be another issue. I may try commenting out all the LCD code and see if i can get it working otherwise for now.

I just updated the files on github.
I added libraries.zip. It contains all required libraries, already edited. You need to unzip libraries.zip and place the contents in a folder named "libraries" in your sketchbook folder.
Let me know if there are any issues.

The 12v buck converter on the LED controller stopped working. It was running really hot and the output was only 3v. I just ordered a couple more. I see the price dropped in half since I bought it before. If these don't last long, I'll probably get the meanwell 12v converter.

Compiles without any issue with zipped libraries. Using 1.6.3 on OSX. Thanks!!!!!

i just installed arduino on the iMac and it copied first try! atleast the code works! thanks again.. no idea why it won't work on my win10 laptop.. oh well.

Would your code work with a different ethernet shield like the HR91105A or a wireless CC3000 or do i need to find the same shield as yours for it to be plug and play?

Would your code work with a different ethernet shield like the HR91105A or a wireless CC3000 or do i need to find the same shield as yours for it to be plug and play?

The current code only works with arduino ethernet shield (w5100 based).
It is fairly stable.

I had tried CC3000, and it is not feasible to use.

Hey d0ughb0y !

Did you think to use this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MQTT

for now for communication from ESP and main reef controller?

At least until those communications libraries will not be finished and working as should to?

Some examples of usage:

http://www.hivemq.com/mqtt-essentials-part2-publish-subscribe/

http://mosquitto.org/man/mqtt-7.html

https://github.com/mrizvic/nodemcu-uart2http-exosite

For now, the plan is to use webduino, which seems fairly easy to program REST services for small lightweight quick request/response call.

I started creating an eagle file for chauvet v2 controller just to see what it will look like. it was hard to stop once I got started and spent the whole weekend making this. The size is approx the size of an arduino mega (50mm x 100mm). relay board driver vcc is selectable 5v or 12v. This board was quite hard to route. Since Teensy is 3.3v, I have not actually tested if 3.3v PWM will work on the jebao pumps. If not, I will have to add level shifter to convert the 3.3v pwm to 5v pwm. I'm pretty sure everything else will work on 3.3v.

chauvetv2.png~original

I plan to switch my connectors from TRRS audio jacks to mini USB conenctors and built this 8 connector board. It holds 8 usb mini type b female (surface mount) connectors

usbboard.png~original

The idea is to be able to pick and choose which sensor or output is needed and assign it to the usb board in whatever order. (the connectors are 4 pin connectors)

Serial2 and Serial3 are for connecting to Atlas stamps. I2C can be used for the atlas stamp as well.

The relay board driver voltage can be 5v or 12v.
Note that those 8 channel relay boards, even if they are 12v boards, the driving signal is still 5v. only the jdvcc is 12v. The actual chauvet relay boards use 12v, so 12v vcc can be selected for this.

The 2 fan output pinout connects directly to a standard 4 pin computer fan.

Last edited:
Those are both pretty sweet variants I haven't seen before. I love all these little Dev boards coming out!

Sadly I'm still waiting for the. W5100 to show up.

Which ph controller board/probe did you code this for?

Back