My New 100 Gallon Shallow Rimless SPS Build

Great video

Great video

Very nice vid of your tank.

player.swf

Very nice set up. I got your thread from Felix Bordon, I found him on eBay. I'm sending him a deposit this week for my 30x30x20
After reading your I'm 2ed guessing my size. Can I ask why the fans? Is it the MH, I was thinking about using 24" t5 8 of them. No shimmer but less power and heat. My last tank 4 yrs prior had vho & MH, HOT
I'm still quit the novas, so I could really use the advice. Have you thought about how to have your power heads/wave heads in your tank without the cord going over the side? This is something I would really like to avoid. I have this crave thought of putting in an extra bulkhead under the glasshole, with a pipe that go's through the wall (were my sump will be) and turn the pipe up, above the water level, then run the power supply thru it.
Ever thought about it.
It was realy nice to here all the positive things about Felix.
Rick
Port Orange fl

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15606349#post15606349 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nasa-medic
Very nice set up. I got your thread from Felix Bordon, I found him on eBay. I'm sending him a deposit this week for my 30x30x20
After reading your I'm 2ed guessing my size. Can I ask why the fans? Is it the MH, I was thinking about using 24" t5 8 of them. No shimmer but less power and heat. My last tank 4 yrs prior had vho & MH, HOT
I'm still quit the novas, so I could really use the advice. Have you thought about how to have your power heads/wave heads in your tank without the cord going over the side? This is something I would really like to avoid. I have this crave thought of putting in an extra bulkhead under the glasshole, with a pipe that go's through the wall (were my sump will be) and turn the pipe up, above the water level, then run the power supply thru it.
Ever thought about it.
It was realy nice to here all the positive things about Felix.
Rick
Port Orange fl

Hey thanks! I will try to post a larger picture to see if i actually can.
Because there is no hood on the tank the fans are not necessary i just had them so i'm using them. if you use a sump fan the water is about 79 degrees when the lights go on. my house temp is 79. i definitely wouldn't drill another hole for that pipe to run wires! that's a disaster waiting to happen! i would use a Vortec pump instead of doing that if wires really bother you. T5's can definitely keep sps in this tank. i personally would get the ATI light if i went that way. Because i have a black background i can barely see the wires. as far as tank size think carefully about what you will need to keep the tank up. ca reactor, sump, skimmer, phosphate chamber, etc. will it all fit under the stand? that's the main reason i went with this size. i fit everything i need under the stand and have a really lean look. if you are in the area drop me a pm and arrange a time to come see the setup.. here's the larger pic as promised:D

IMG_3622-1-1.jpg

BTW, tell felix Hello for me!

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15606619#post15606619 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aqua Keepers
Nice set up Bro.
Where'd you get that stand?
the stand is a oceanic tech stand. I love the stand. i can access everywhere under the tank with ease. all 3 sides open wide.

Thanks so much for the invite. And the quick post. Is it just me, can this hobby mess with your sleep. My mind can't stop building.
So a vortic pump will give me adaquate water movment for Spf.
The stand I will build. I love to build stuff and wood is a piece of cake. As far as under the tank, all components like sump/ timers will be in a closet behind the tank.
Ok I will scrap the pipe out the back.
Back to work!!!!
Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15608033#post15608033 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nasa-medic
Is it just me, can this hobby mess with your sleep. My mind can't stop building.

LOL! this is not a hobby but and addiction! i wasn't joking about that in my signature! yes you can lose sleep. I did! I've never had a vortec but thru reading RC it suppose to be a "good" pump for sps. i opted for the tunze cause i've also heard horror stories on them too and didn't want to spend that kind of $ on something that i'm not sure of. good luck on your build!

I had went on vacation and lost a few colonies due to a failure on my power head so i had to cut back a few corals and replace some. Here's are a few pics i took tonight. I did no photoshop other than to crop some of the pictures.

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

Amazing progress! What's the name of the fans you're using above your tank? I'm looking for something like that. Thanks

Well, once again you have established a nice tank. We will review in one month in person. Very nice job.

Keep feeding and providing the longer light time. You should see a lot of growth and color.

Have you noticed any issue with your stand seeming to bow in the middle? When I am looking inside my cabinet, it is very clear that the wood top is bowing down quite a bit. If you can't tell, put something that is like 24" long and straight up against the underside of where your tank is.

Wondering if mine is defective maybe? Lots of $$$ riding on it.

Well, once again you have established a nice tank. We will review in one month in person. Very nice job.

Keep feeding and providing the longer light time. You should see a lot of growth and color.

Yo, you sound like some jedi! lol Are you going to start your tank or what?

Back