My new mag

Just set the flow exactly how you want flow to be. Then let the anemone move to where it likes. You're not going to be able to guess what it likes (at least it seems a lot more unlikely). Just get your flow ready for everything else in the tank and he'll move!

So far it seems everything is having a fairly positive reaction to the higher flow so I'm thinking I'm going to keep going up with it a little more and see what happens.

if they can feel the structure of the overflow they can stretch themselves at night and move on to it....they're pretty smart IMO...

dont be surprised if it moves onto your overflow or glass..mine went to the glass no matter what I did in the tank..it loves it there ,right under full strength LED's and right near the outflow of an HOB...the clowns dont seem to like it their home is hanging off the side of the glass kinda tilted towards the light...I am moving mine into a bigger tank soon...so we'll see what it does with more flow and less chance to climb the glass...

You called that one lol got up this morning and it was on the overflow. Stayed put in one spot for about 2-3 days and I was hopeful its adventure was over. Didnt last long though.

I didn't re-read the entire thread so I don't know if this was addressed already... but if any of the mag's tentacles can touch either the walls of the tank or the overflow, it "thinks" it can move higher and may continuously move.

Someone did mention that exact thing and for awhile it stayed on the rocks until today it decided to try the overflow.

Wanted to do a little update and I have a question.

Had my mag 4 months now and everything has been going well I think. It did bleach pretty bad but has since started regaining a really beautiful purple color. Towards the end of October it decided the overflow was home and hasnt moved since. I really have no complaints though as it's still a nice spot and immediately visible. Overall I think it appears healthy, still no clowns yet though. Waiting till I find the right ones and I'm in no hurry.
86cf532dc66760de02e4c56a699490bf.jpg

Onto my question. For those of you who have mags that picked either glass or overflow is it normal for them to adopt this stance vs the upright vertical column? I can see where the later would be a challenge but wanted to ask.
5400fccf7794436115393f348488d925.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'd be worried about it heading north of where it is now and clogging your overflow...murphy's law..........

Dont say that lol Actually it initially did when first moving across the overflow. I believe it was less then 24hrs and it moved down to it's current position where it's been ever since. Fingers crossed it stays put.

i would highly recommend you move it to your rockwork, and make sure your rock is separated from your glass. this will help keep your anemone in place AND away from walking up to your overflow.

I have tried relocating it once already unsuccessfully, it went right back to the same place. Without a very drastic rescape there is no way to keep it from being able to touch the glass or overflow. Even then I feel if it really wanted to it could just go to the sand bed and climb up anyways.

At this point it appears to have settled in and hasnt moved in 3 months. It's my understanding and from what everyone says once they find a place they're happy they tend to stay put. I could very well try moving it again and risk damage or stressing it but I feel it wouldnt be worth taking the risk.

Dont get me wrong I value yours and everyone else's opinion and feedback but I've also learned sometimes you just have to leave things be.

i would highly recommend you move it to your rockwork, and make sure your rock is separated from your glass. this will help keep your anemone in place AND away from walking up to your overflow.

This.

It's not a time to "set it and forget it"

(sorry, I had to)

My biggest concern is in the end I would do more harm then good. I know there is always a chance it could end up in the overflow but at the same time I'm worried if I try removing it I may damage the foot or cause a lot of stress leading to decline.

I am using an older maxspect razor 120 with t5 supplement. Whites are 52% and blues 70% from 10:30am to 7pm. It did bleach but there were so many changes being made during that time unfortunately I dont know what I can contribute it too. It has since started regaining color though.

Back