My new mag

Lol, anything waterproof and shiny, even a wide bracelet would do, and I know it sounds kinda goofy but it works.

I would not do that unless a clown is giving issues, it's my opinion aggressiveness can be brought out and set a pattern, a passive clown seeing a reflection may spark up.

Long ago maroons were such the rage, they look great in photos, many of us wanted GSM's, ...at first!

They are still pretty, but I'm over keeping them.

Goofy or not if it works it works. Still better than being constantly bit haha

Have you noticed more or less aggression from clowns when provided with a nem?

I like the plain old clowns, cant say as I much care for all these new "designer" clowns either. Then again most of the fish I have picked have been based off fish that I saw as a kid at the lfs and none of those existed then that I can recall.

Well it's been about 48hrs or so now and the mag still hasnt seemed to settle in. Came home this morning and its on the front left corner of the rock work smothering the monti frag on the sand bed. I'm sure I kiss that piece good bye lol Really glad I waited to add more frags till after nem was in.

The position is fine. Do you turn to MP10 off at night? You May does not have enough flow and is hunting for more row is my guess. Can you post a video of the amount of cow it is getting?

The position is fine. Do you turn to MP10 off at night? You May does not have enough flow and is hunting for more row is my guess. Can you post a video of the amount of cow it is getting?

My mp10's run 24/7 with different schedules throughout the day. At night they run in constant at the lowest setting which is 15% I believe. I think you could be right about the flow as 2 different times now it has set up right in front of one or the other. I dont have any videos at the moment but can certainly try and post one after work tonight.

This is where it was when I came home this morning to get ready for work.
de447afbb74cda914d3bef62e060a81f.jpg

I have noticed it is impossible to get a fts without my reflection or something else reflecting of the front glass.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wow, well it was looking for something, less light or more flow, going on last comments could be flow.

I know my mag is pretty close to my MP40 which is set at about 90% on reef crest mode, aimed just below the rock it sits on so it's slightly diffused, but still getting pretty good flow.

Maybe as lights are on it will climb back up.

I think Minh is probably right given twice it has positioned itself in front of one or the other. They're hard to see in photo's but they're both on the back glass about 3/4 up with on unobstructed shot at the front. I can turn them up if need be. Just looked to be blowing the tents to hard to mr. I can post a photo of my schedule to look at.

Both mp10's run the same schedule and percentages with the slave sometimes being synced sometimes not.
5ddf3f493e8974a8393124017c6c84bd.jpg

Looks like you are turning your flow way down at night if I'm reading right, no need, and in actuality our small contained systems benefit from keeping flow up, if anything during lights out we'd really be better off turning up rather than down.

Ocean currents do not relax at night, only surface looks calm as winds usually die down.

I do run reefcrest mode as I like random flow, and I don't even sinc my vorts, but other than that they remain constant

Most of my pics of my nem and clowns I'm trying not to show PH, so this FTS before I got my mag shows my placement just to give you an idea how much flow they can handle.

I purposely placed my vorts so it hits the rock just below where my mag was placed so it is not a straight on harsh hit, but rather diffused, but it's still getting flow a plenty.

Of course we have to be a little careful to not put too close, especially a new not yet settled nem, but mags I've had seem to like having a good amount of flow and stay put w/ maybe just minor adjustments.

In fusion it's set for 5% but it's my understanding they won't run below 15. I can turn it up to 20-30% at night to start. I try to change things up during the day just to get different flow patterns. I can slowly increase 5-10% at a time and see what happens.

Your tank is beautiful btw.

Thanks, I've had to move twice in a short period so my tank is far from what I'd like it to be, and that was the first restart before adding much to it, but it shows placement.

I too make small changes usually, but that mag new to tank probably would do just fine bumping up your flow as quick as you feel comfortable w/ other tank occupants in mind.

When I think of randow flow, as a diver of 42 years just observing, it's chaotic as tides currents and waves change, but typically I want flow to keep clean, w/ rest periods for corals to relax and feed in pulses more than a change up in flow volume over the course of day or night, and as diver that's done many night dives, day or night does not change the amount of flow, in fact I've made many day dives that were so calm it encouraged me to dive that night and was blown all over the place.

As long as you keep at it progress will be made, in time I'm sure you'll have it where youd like it. Then you'll want it a different way and change again lol

I think I'd be comfortable with 10% every other or 2-3 days at most. Give me time to view and observe in between. I like to take things slow and observe every change for positive or negative side effects. I've made mistakes in the past of changing too much too fast then not knowing what did what when things went down hill.

Out of all the different modes isnt reefcrest supposed to provide that type of flow the best? I've noticed different modes are able to kick crude up from different places in the tank and help to suspend them so they go out the overflow. I tried to set up flow so they get moments of rest in between stronger currents, trying to find a happy medium for everyone.

Thank you for the link minh, those are some gorgeous nems! I definitely don't have that much though. I'll try my best to see if I cant replicate that and still keep everyone happy.

Cool vid from Minh, my mag is getting a little less than his gig, and a slightly more than his middle mag shows.

Reefcrest mode to me just seems best, and maybe some people like that mode that kind of blasts dietrus, I try to not have dead spots for it to collect and I'm siphoning rocks clean during WC's, and I have a sand bed that I don't want water blast moving it around, just seems more natural to me, more appealing, but to each their own, it's not like there's only one way to achieve your idea of success.

I like reefcrest and I use that mode twice plus at the end of the night I use nutrient export. I cant imagine as I have any dead spots though. The way the rock work is setup with both running I haven't really noticed anywhere for it to settle. I turkey baster my rocks every so often when I think about it. If I had to put a time frame I'd say maybe once a month. As far as the sand bed goes I dont ever touch. I did clean dinos of the very top layer once but that was it. That's what I got a cucumber and snails for, no crabs or shrimp of any kind though. I have tried to keep things as natural as possible. Also noticed the less my hands are in the tank the better it does.

I have learned there are about as many ways to have a successful tank as there are stars.

I did take a few more photos though. This is the current location, I added 10% to to each mode and bumped my nighttime up to 25%. I'll keep an eye on things and see where they go.

FTS
18f102459b77018fb09dc5f2960fc1e5.jpg

You can see my vortech placement better here.
View from the left side.
b69be30e99c56c30046869aedbf9216d.jpg

If I had to uselessly try to describe the flow I'd say it's a little more then you would want for a torch to sway gently.
c38e9343e61782fe0216dfe4ffa05f7a.jpg

Back