My Ongoing Build Thread

So Ive gotten some information put together for a more realistically priced battery backup for my MP10 pumps. (i bought a second one yesterday!)

Initally I thought that only Vortech provided a backup that would work for their pump and I was going to have to start saving money or buy a cheap UPS just to prevent the system from shutting down and restarting with brownouts. After doing some digging around I found a thread here (arizona reefers club) that described a cheap alternative. They make units that are designed to keep ATT Uverse equipment up during a poweroutage. Luckily its a DC unit and is only $20 used on amazon and ebay.

Ive included the parts list below. the thread was from early 2013 so most of the links were dead and all of the pictures were not active. Im going to keep this thread updated with pictures and options and any issues I run into along the way.

I really wish the images werent dead here.

Im getting the following supplies. Can anyone tell me if I missed something ...

2 Belkin Units (buying used through amazon for $18 with shipping included)

2x 3' Male to Male 2.1mm x 5.5mm
http://www.amazon.com/Valley-2-1mm-5-5mm-Power-Adapter/dp/B00GPVWRRC

DC Power Splitter Cable 5.5x2.1mm Female To 2 2.1mm Female Adapter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/300931464519?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

2x DC Power 5.5mm x 2.1mm Female to 3.5mm x 1.35mm Male Converter Plug
http://www.amazon.com/SODIAL-Power-...&keywords=3.5x1.35mm+Male+to+5.5x2.1mm+Female

These are using the newest links on amazon and ebay (ebay had dead links prior) I will also try and get pictures together that are actually posted on this forum instead of imageshack .

Belkin Unit Output ---> Spliter Cable (Two units to power one MP10) ---> Extension Cable if Needed ---> Reducer ---> MP10

There is a sale going on at Sailfin (LFS) so Im going in to pick up the 65 gallon RR tank this week (springbreak wooo!)

Im also taking the time to go to the cabinet maker to have the plans drawn up and get the actual stand and canopy started. As stated before Im having the stand made since it will only cost 50% more than buying the supplies and tools that i would need to make one myself and NOT have it look like an arts and crafts project. Ive looked at all the options people have here and have decided on a couple cool design features that I want (any input on them is appreciated) ...

Remeber my sump is in the basement not below the tank ...

Magnetically activated lights on the doors
Side access panel that gets clipped on, no hinges or handles
Above the doors will be an open section for the Reefkeeper to display and operate plus the MP10 Drivers / any other displays.
Front panels on the canopy that clip on and off. This allows my lights to be mounted ontop of the canopy without hanging / light rails. No more light spillage into the room either.

Oh am I excited and slightly miffed. :lmao:

So as a teacher I start spring break tomorrow. This is fantastic. We have arrived at the point to order the tank and the stand. Very excited for that.

In preparation fro this next step I needed to clean out space in the basement to store a 65 RR tank. This requires me to build my next utility table (done) and get the water station running properly. Well this is where I got angry today. I get the whole darn thing plumbed in and it starts leaking again, at the bulkhead. The new one that I just bought. So i've resigned that trash can to trash duty and will pick up a new one next week sometime and not cut out the bottom. Just put a pump in the bottom of it and pump it to the next container. No more leaks.

I also finally got to cleaning out Fred's skimmer. MAN WAS IT DIRTY. Now its all shiny and ready to go in the sump. Its missing a muffler on the air intake, is that a problem? Should i go and get one on amazon?

Attachments

• IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
The horrible part is trying to get them to take a trash can from the trash. LOL

I didn't think it was too bad. Did you let it dry out? Much easier to clean when it's wet.

Muffler just makes noise difference. You can make one from a pill bottle if you want. The sound never bothered me but i'm in my office not a living room. Huck it in some water and run it and see?

My Ongoing Build Thread

Fred it was dried out for sure and so I just scrubbed in vinegar. It was dirtier than I expected because I've never seen a skimmer work before. So I'll be happy if mine gets that dirty again. It means it works.

The thing will be in my basement so I couldn't care less about the noise I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a problem that the muffler was off.

New to me MP10 installed today. It's from 2011 so a little louder than the one from 2014 but not bad at all. I picked up some extra work and when I get paid for that my radions get upgraded to the G3 and the MP10s will be upgraded to wireless Quiet Drive.

Tank should be here Thursday. Stand won't be done for a long time. Probably June before I get hands on that. Wife decided no outside lights for the stand and no side panel was necessary. I agreed with her on that Point. If there isn't a sumo below there's no need for that much access and it's cheaper this way. I'm also staining it myself to fit the Room and decor. That will be a fun project. Hopefully not too smelly.

Ahhh gotcha! Yeah after awhile they get filthy! I had cleaned that one not too long before. :D

Muffler is just for noise. It didn't even come with one. The newer ones do but the originals nope!

Lots of new toys! :)

MP10 is having a weird issue with a pulsing light at night. Im wondering if its entered into some kind of night / low power mode. Kicks off during the day. Ill be interested to see what EcoTech has to say about it.

The new tank came in today. 65 Gallons is a lot bigger than i thought it would be. I also bought a fuzzy mushroom today. Ill post pictures of the new tank and coral later.

Picture updates.

Fuzzy Mushroom.
Zoa's that I got a while back. I had to move some rocks to put in the mushroom and ended up tearing the zoa colony in half. I had not realized they moved off the plug and onto the rock so quickly! They seem to be fine but one little straggling end needs some coral glue to hold it down.
Full New Tank shot includes a cooler in the back to give somewhat of a size comparison.
Full Tank shot. Shows growth of GSP and the big fat fish. Nem has finally settled for the back of the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1
I have received both of my belkin backup units and various cords. Im still waiting on the main cord which is the reducer that fits into the Vortech Boxes. They have an expected arrival date from April 6th to the 28th! UGH! :lol:

I ordered a reeflink today. Im hoping that having it will allow me to knock the MP10 out of night mode. And eventually I want to have an M1 as my return pump and with the radions it will all be in the same universe.

Im still contemplating how Im going to have the new tank plumbing done. The bulkheads are on the bottom of the tank and i cant tell if they are thread or slip. Im terrified they are thread since everytime i use a thread it leaks. Its causing me stress and its just sitting in the basement at this time.

So I have a question.
I have some scratches on my skimmer neck now from some agressive cleaning. These arent like super deep scratches but now Im wondering if I ruined the skimmer. Are scratches bad, will they eventually get covered in gunk anyway? Should I polish the skimmer neck to remove the scratches?

I added a few drags to the tank. Mushroom and Fruit Loop Acan. MyGSP grows like a weed and so do my Zoas. Image1463000916.792437.jpgImage1463000935.177375.jpgImage1463000944.033203.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it was open for a fews days and now my ACAN is closed tighter than all get out.
I cant figure out why. My water needed changing for sure, and the carbon needed replacing so I got that taken care of. I havent been home yet to see whats going on but yeah. Any advice on these guys? Can my Coral Beauty be nipping? I haven't seen it pay any attention to any of the other corals or the ACAN but I only watch for a little bit during the evening hours.

I did add an emerald crab, i have seen this dude like two or three times since its been introduced. I know that crabs can be aloof but my gosh!

d56c5f9d439b3a6e09034e45be318df3.jpg

So this is what it looks like now. I tried to feed it and got nothing with food right next to it. I'm taking measurements later after the food has cleared.

Everything in the tank seems smaller today. Not sure why. The zoas are the only coral fully extended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back