My Ongoing Build Thread

Some clowns never do, some do right away and some take time. Clowns are goofy. :)

Yeah they are.
I've had the same pair for probably six years or so , and they both stay in the right rear corner of the 240.
Same corner they stayed in in the old 180.

Well ...

I picked up an MP10 from a guy on here for $120 shipped made in 2014. Great deal IMHO.

Picked up a Tunze ATO so i cant stop depending on other people in the house to actually top off the tank. :lol:

I now have a brown algae (i believe diatom) algae bloom in my tank. Im attributing it to my tank getting used to a new lighting schedule and over feeding the fish. Im going to cut back on feeding to once every two days. Im doing a massive water change tonight, and going to buy some new snails tomorrow (i only have 2 right now and they cant keep up).

Any other advice on algae problems would be helpful. I dont have a skimmer and am not getting a skimmer until the 65 gets installed, i know i can keep a tank without a skimmer and without algae problems, ive seen it done before.

Here is a pic of how big the RBTA is getting and the GSP. This was two days ago, now the algae is covering the sand and the glass and the rocks. Dark brown like a rusty color almost. You can see it starting on the sand in these images.

Attachments

• 20160115_174624.jpg
    20160115_174624.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20160115_174616.jpg
    20160115_174616.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1
Cleaned the tank and replaced around 7 gallons of water last night. Stirred up a TON of crap. Clearly the diatoms bloom was on me. I have gotten too lazy with my maintenance over the last couple weeks and without a protein skimmer or a sump with equipment to mitigate problems I cannot afford to be lazy.

I did get the Tunze ATO installed, there was a loose wire that prevented it from working properly and once i figured that out everything started working properly and the pump kicked on.

So, the RBTA I LOVE. Although with the eventual plans it may have to go to a new home / sold to the LFS or resold back on here.

My little experiment with GSP has shown that yes this stuff does grow like a weed. Im currently thinking of ways to keep it from growing over everything in my tank because after having it for only a month there is considerable new growth appearing.

So when I do finally get the 65 gallon into the house and setup I will not be adding GSP to the mix.

The diatoms have been eliminated from what I can tell. There is some other algae type stuff that needs to get eaten off the rocks by my snails, they are so lazy though. :lol: Im going to need to go and purchase a few new snails.

The RBTA keeps moving around the tank. I just got a new Vortech and will be installing that today and hopefully that will make the RBTA happy and root down somewhere.

The Tunze Osmolator I bought (used, its all been used) was having an issue with the power cable not keeping the unit powered on all the time. It has corrosion on the inside. I had to cut an emery board up into super thin strips to get it into the actual power connector. Between sanding with the emery board and then using a q-tip with some vinegar i was able to remove most of the corrosion (at least the best i can tell). I used some dielectric grease to help with the connection. It seems to be working much better now, we will see if that continues.

Installed the BRS PH Probe today, MP10 is up and running.

Yesterday I picked up 2 snails and a frogspawn all for $10!!!!!

The darn RBTA is still in the back of the tank! Ugh this is very annoying. One more attempt today to point a powerhead correctly at the back of the tank to try and get him to move.

GSP can be a hassle. I don't keep it or Xenia or Kenyas as they can be weeds. You can generlly keep GSP contained on a rock though so long as it's not touching anything else. The other two can spread by dropping pieces though.

Nems can be such a hassle! I love them but ugh! lol One of my rockflowers was happy for weeks in one spot and then just decided to move the other day for no apparent reason. I love BTA's but I think i'm going to stay away from them in my current tank.

Grats on the Frogspawn! I love them!

GSP can be a hassle. I don't keep it or Xenia or Kenyas as they can be weeds. You can generlly keep GSP contained on a rock though so long as it's not touching anything else. The other two can spread by dropping pieces though.

Nems can be such a hassle! I love them but ugh! lol One of my rockflowers was happy for weeks in one spot and then just decided to move the other day for no apparent reason. I love BTA's but I think i'm going to stay away from them in my current tank.

Grats on the Frogspawn! I love them!

Yeah my GSP grows like a weed. But I was able to peel it off a rock when I was tackling the Diatoms / Dinoflagellets. It removes fairly easily though so I was happy about that, I dont forsee it taking over my tank since I have to stay on point with the husbandry anyway. Those others you listed are not allowed in my tank.

Im with you, when i upgrade to the 65 gallon I may just dump the RBTA to someone who only wants that and get some nice frags out of the deal.

I'm one of the odd guys who is downgrading to a 25. I just want something smaller and more compact than my old 40. Which I still need to part out and sell. Doh!

I'm one of the odd guys who is downgrading to a 25. I just want something smaller and more compact than my old 40. Which I still need to part out and sell. Doh!

Im in the market to buy stuff. You got a pic or list of the stuff? Ive bought tons on here and pay / meet quickly. Still need another MP10 and a skimmer and a big return pump.

Tank looks so rough right now but i'll be parting out the below probably then selling the tank. Tank is 40B drilled with corner overflow and 29G sump.

Marineland Utility Pump MJ-3000
Ocean Revive Arctic-S026 LED light
SCA-302 Skimmer

If you are interested in anything drop me a message and maybe we can work something out. :)

Tank looks so rough right now but i'll be parting out the below probably then selling the tank. Tank is 40B drilled with corner overflow and 29G sump.

Marineland Utility Pump MJ-3000
Ocean Revive Arctic-S026 LED light
SCA-302 Skimmer

If you are interested in anything drop me a message and maybe we can work something out. :)

Thanks for the skimmer! So my wife and kiddo and I all went across the street that night and ate at Panda Express then went to Sailfin. By the time we got home my wife and I had food poisoning. :uhoh3:

My ATO used to be so loud when it kicked on that it actually scared me a few times and we cant hear the TV. I looked into a few problems that it might be and discovered that a nice silicone pot holder under the pump completely rid our house of the annoying vibrations and noise. Peace! Finally!

My algae problem is almost gone. Ive changed my filter bags a couple times, sucked the crap out of the sand bed and rocks. I also reduced my lights down to 35%.

I picked up some Zoas to add color to the tank. They are orange and purple. Im sure I could peel 4 heads off glue them to a frag and sell it under some exotic name here for $100. But i only paid $20 for the full frag. :lol: There was a BEAUTIFUL chalice at the store probably 3 inches across but i just didnt have the cash for it.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1
Would be impressive if I could pass on food poisoning by contact. I could be a comic book villain!

I know! My son went to work and they sent him home.

Would be impressive if I could pass on food poisoning by contact. I could be a comic book villain!

I know! My son went to work and they sent him home.

My wife did the same thing and took an hour to get home from champaign. Absolute craziness. As a teacher I had the day off :dance:

Alright so I get home and my frogspawn which is not glued to anything has fallen into the sand. Probably from the CB nipping at its base. Fine. I go to reposition it and the shrimp starts to clean my fingers which is a weird feeling but cool nonetheless. All of a sudden my clown who has shown no interest in me at all before head butts me. Then that lil sucker takes a bite out of my hand. ***! Traitor. I'm not sure if she was jealous or just hungry since they missed dinner last night and haven't been fed yet.

Back