My Reason for Missing the Meeting

jtinoco

Well, as I had stated on the other thread about my pico crashing, I ended up getting rid of my freshwater set up and go on the hunt for a bigger tank.

Friday was a short hunt since I started after work. I really liked the bowfronts. I went home to talk it over with the wife. I then remembered that Pheonix and Tucson had been mentioned as great markets for tanks. I thought I'd give it a shot just to see what they had. I went onto Craigslist and I found a few incredible deals and they were incredible. I was willing to skip on the bowfront to get this tank that someone had. It was a 130 gallon tank, reef ready, about 120 lbs of live rock, lots of softies, livestock, T5 lighting, refugium, skimmer, just everything needed and they were asking $300. Yup, not a typo, three hundred bucks. I immediately called them, but it had been sold :(. It sold within minutes! I then found a 72 gallong bowfront with everything as well for 400. Also, sold. By this time is was already Sunday. I then decided to look in the local Craigslist. I noticed a 72 gallon bowfront with almost everything at a good price. It had been posted since Friday and the price had been going down.

Thats when I decided to skip the meeting and go check it out. It is a 72 gallon bowfront, it came with 40-60 lbs of live rock, sand, some livestock, a fluval 405 canister filter, heater, and the guy threw in a Nova Extreme Pro 48 inch fixture with nearly new bulbs. 3 actinic and 3 daylights. 6X54watts.

I brought it home and started setting it up. The pics are from the initial setup. It was mostly cleared up this morning. Not really sure if I should share the price. I want to believe I got a good deal since the lights on their own have a list price of about $450 and the tank and stand alone are nearly $600 at Petsmart. Lol. I ended up paying 400 for the whole setup.

Did I do good?

I'm not too crazy about the canister filter since it has those "bio-pellets" inside. They'll eventually turn into nitrate factories. I just need a good skimmer now.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
i think that is a fair deal. you missed a great meeting though. hopefully you will get this set up and going and can host sometime next year.

its a good deal, nothing crazy, probably better than starting the 55. i really dislike 55s for some reason. haha. and apparently they are gonna make the new line of hob octopus skimmers in black now. if you get the lx1000 it would be perfect.

hahahaha wow. and jtinoco congrats on the worlds fastest build thread also. haha put more pics up for sure.

Congrats on the tank. It looks like you got a pretty good deal. If you need more live rock, LMK. I have some nice rock that has been cycling for about 2-3 months. No worries about the meeting either. We all have our reasons as to why we could not attend.

Also, if you are looking for a Reef Octopus skimmer, The Coral Reef is now an authorized distributor of their product. So go see Daniel and Leonora. I am sure they can get you what ever you want.

Back