N/P reducing pellets (solid vodka dosing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have to rinse before using? how much do you use per gallon?

I definitly rinse them , there is some powder polymer that sticks on the surface off the pellets.
500ml/100G recommended , but you can slowly increase that amount to almost doubble (1L / 100G ) but that would be more expensive.

greetingzz tntneon :)

Getting ready to run these with a Little Fishey Reactor. Wondering what pump everyone is using? Read earlier that Mag 3's are being used, must be a large reactor as the pellets don't seem that heavy. Thanks!

I'm using a maxijet 1200. I have a 65 gallon tank skimmed by an old turbofloter 1000 ran by the pump, I just put the reactor in line. Running 250ml of pellets for now. I'll try to get a pic up soon.

Hm. I started out with a very small pump and I think it allowed the pellets to kind of cake together with the bacteria goop.
I now have the plastic canvas mesh and a Mag 3 in a MR1 Nextreef reactor. It lifts the pellet mass as a whole towards the top but I don't see any movement of the separate pellets.
I even stirred them up in case they were sticking together.
I am not sure what to expect. The Aquarium Specialty people posted a link to a reactor that has the pellets tumbling around pretty good as the ideal'.
When I contacted Jean Paul Klooster to see what flow was required he said 500l/h should be enough for most applications (that's a third of what I actually have with the mag 3!) and that they don't need to tumble.
Could somebody that's already been working with the pellets for awhile enlighten me about how this is supposed to look like?
Is the bacteria goop supposed to stick to the pellets or get washed off?

Just picked up a Little Fishey's reactor and wondering what kind of flow that others are running through them. I saw on the previous page, others are running a Mag 3 and kind of figure they have a much larger reactor. The pellets don't seem so heavy that in the LF Reactor, I'm afraid I'd blow the output rubber fitting off. Looking for idea's, thanks!

It lifts the pellet mass as a whole towards the top but I don't see any movement of the separate pellets.

I believe you have too much flow for that reactor diameter and media charge. Make sure your reactor has some empty space at the top before the outlet screen, maybe 1/4 of the total length. Then put a ball valve on the outlet of your pump and choke way back until everything falls to the bottom. Now gently open the valve until the top layer of media is just dancing around.

I don't recall reading anywhere in this thread that skimmer production dropped immediately after starting the pellets, but I'm having fits keeping my skimmer foam level constant. Did anyone notice a reduced skimmer production the first few weeks of introducing the pellets?

I don't recall reading anywhere in this thread that skimmer production dropped immediately after starting the pellets, but I'm having fits keeping my skimmer foam level constant. Did anyone notice a reduced skimmer production the first few weeks of introducing the pellets?

When I first added them to my tank the skimmer production dropped for about two weeks. It is now back to normal.

I just set up a Geo 420 media reactor with 2 liters of BP. I t'd off my return to feed the reactor but there is no info on regards to the amount of flow needed. i have roughly about 100gph running through it now and the BP are settled in the reactor. Do i need to bump up the flow?

I set up a MRC FMC-627
http://www.myreefcreations.com/images/FMC-627%2010x6.jpg
last night, i have A LOT of flow "T" ed off my return and no tumbling.. gonna add the bigger return pump in a while.. and we will see..

my skimmer has increased the ammount of output dramaticly over the last 3 weeks since i have been running the pellets.
BTW i have 4000 grams of pellets (4-1000 bags) in my reactor

I set up a MRC FMC-627
http://www.myreefcreations.com/images/FMC-627%2010x6.jpg
last night, i have A LOT of flow "T" ed off my return and no tumbling.. gonna add the bigger return pump in a while.. and we will see..

my skimmer has increased the ammount of output dramaticly over the last 3 weeks since i have been running the pellets.
BTW i have 4000 grams of pellets (4-1000 bags) in my reactor

ok update.. i now have enough flow to make the 4000g tumble... with my new return pump http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...&Product_Code=PW-250PS&Category_Code=Panworld ...( extra 500 gph and 100w more electricity..)

Thanks for the responses on the skimmer production. I have a very very low nutrient load and between that and introducing the pellets, I was concerned.

I'm pleased to say that after running the pellets for 4 days, my skimmer is producing. It may be that even though I rinsed the pellets as recommended, maybe the powder was enough to change the chemistry of the water, slowing the skimmer.

I hate todo this so don't flame me, but I just CAN'T find the time to read all these past pages...(at work :p)

But are these pellets working for any/everyone. I'm really thinking of taking the plunge. But I just wanna know how long before results...and is it sustainable?

thanks in advance...

(p.s. simple "yes/no" is fine, but feel free to expalin if you feel like typing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back