Need help identifying some... "entities" (for I don't know what they are!)

desx2501

Hi!

We've had a 55g tank running for about 6 months now, to which I added a 30g DIY sump with a skimmer, cheato, activated carbon and a sock. Now, in the sump, there are 2 weird things, and there is one other thing in the display tank. I'll explain the different things one by one, with pictures :

First : The evil(?) worm(?)
I don't know where these little buddies comes from, but there are a lot of them in the sump. There might be (highly probable since they are so close to the return pump) some in the display tank, hiding in the ground and live rocks. The first picture is a small bunch of them, the second picture is taken large, just to show the size of the largest one (about 4 times the size of the small ones) relatively to the return pump, and the last one is just another mugshot of the uninvited guest :

img3371copy.jpg

By desx2501 at 2011-03-06

img3373copy.jpg

img3375copy.jpg

The second thing is some yellow stuff, probably algae, mushroom or mold. It grows on the silicon in my sump. I was told that this silicon was aquarium safe, but were they wrong?

First picture shows a close up shot, and the second one shows it, aside what seems to be some red slime (doesn't look like coralline algae):

img3376copyk.jpg

img3377copy.jpg

The last thing appeared in our tank about a month ago top, not too long after we added a peppermint shrimp, a cleaner shrimp and a feather duster. Might they be some feather duster "eggs"?

The first picture shows one of them hidden (ok, it doesn't seem to move, but it grow there) behind a powerhead, and the second picture show 2 of them on the intake of the filter. (FYI, the filter isn't really used anymore since we got the sump, but the sump return pipe is connected to the filter's main chamber, so the sump water flows back in the tank the same way the filter use to)

img3378copym.jpg

img3380copy.jpg

all good guys: bugs are copepods and a benign isopod, the worm, maybe a spaghetti worm. most all worms are good, most all crabs aren't. most crawly bugs are good, the only bad one I know is a cirolanid isopod: google that, and once you see a pic, you'll never mistake it for anything else. flatworms aren't nice, come in red, green, brown, etc: the reds are the worst---I think. Depends where your rock came from, what you're likely to find. looks like nice rock, by the variety of life.

I don't see any worms.
First 3 pics are copepods & some isopods, as Sk8r said, and are beneficial.
Last 2 pics are scypha sponges (pineapple sponges) and are harmless.
Not sure what's up with your silicone.

Thanks a lot guys! It reassures me a lot! :celeb1:

Now I only have to find out what's the stuff on the silicon, but since it doesn't grow on anything else and that my test kits aren't picking up any standard bad chemical stuff, I won't worry too much about that.

The silicone in my fuge did the same thing. After a couple months it faded away and is now clear again.

+1 on the silicone being no problem. That looks like you broke into my house and took a pic of my sump. :)

Back