need info on skimmers

ALTI

In Memoriam
im setting up a 30 gallon extra high tank(24x12x24). i was looking at two skimmers, model 210/3 and 3110/2. it seems to me that these two skimmers are identical except that one is mounted vertically and the other horizontally. i was wondering if there was any difference in performance between the two. the only other question i have is the actual width of the collection cup.with a tank only 12 inces wide i dont want to block the lights with a big piece of plastic. if you have any insight on which one you feel better suites my tank size i would greatly appreciate the help.thanks

I must first say that I have not yet had a chance to personally use the model 210/3 skimmer. I have experience with the 210/2 and 3110/2. My experience with these skimmers was a better performance of the model 210/2 but a compromise in the ease of mounting and the sensitivity to water level fluctuations. For this reason I always recommended the 3110/2. The 210/3 has only been available for about 6 months. The problems regarding water level and mounting are resolved with this new model. I think the main decision for you to make is which is more aesthetically pleasing in your set up. I have seen the 210/3 operating at the factory and was quite impressed. The Tunze skimmers operate very quietly and reliably. The parts are also readily available and I would be hard pressed to think of a skimmer in this price range which offers such value. Regarding the skimmer cup the size is 4" tall and 3.75" diameter with a volume of 300ml. If I were to suggest a spare parts set to have on hand which as an aquarist is something I like to be aware of I would say it would be part 3110.49 which is the airline with nozzle attachment. These parts do become brittle over time and could be broken during service. The remaining parts should last for a good while with reasonable care. The pump is a small Italian made pump which has performed safely and reliably the entire two years that I have been using a 3110/2 skimmer and so I don't believe you need a spare impeller or any motor parts only to keep track of the small plastic bushings during service. Only running dry seems to ruin these pumps and even in these conditions the thermostatic switch prevents any harm to the user or aquarium inhabitants.

thanks roger. i hate to be a pain, i know you are the owner of the company and being a business owner myself i understand that you have more important things to do than deal with customers questions, so ill try to make this short. i read the aquatek shipping policies and it says it takes 7 to 21 days to ship. does this rely on what you have in stock? if so, i want to order whichever of the two models(210/3 or 3110/2) you have in stock to avoid a long delay. i would prefer the 210/3. also, the paypal service on the aquatek website did not seem to be working, so let me know how payment can be arranged. i looked for the spare parts you recommended but could not find them. do you carry this item, and do you have it in stock? thank you for your time and patience.

rob alti

AquaTek is no longer in the mail order business so I do not know where you are reading this, our website has ben removed perhaps you need to refresh the browser. Tunze USA is wholesale only and I have both units in stock. Your local shop or one of our internet vendors could certainly provide what ever you need. The dealer listing is on the Tunze site www.tunze.com. For internet/mail order our dealers are Champion Lighting, Premium Aquatics and Marine Depot, a local dealer should be able to also offer you the same pricing if you have one you would like to deal with have him contact me. The spare parts are all in stock. I also would like to add that it is the customers that keep me in business and their is nothing more important than this. I would rather help you make a wise purchse than have you disappointed with our lack of service and information, that is why I sponsor reef central and have this forum. Our US distribution center has only been running now for three weeks and no one really has stock yet but I will work with any vendor you choose to get it to you as soon as possible and would like to find really good local shops to carry the product, once again it should cost no more from a local vendor than internet so it is your decision.

Hi Roger.

I have had the 210/2 on my 40 gallon for almost a year now and have been more than pleased with it. However, like you said the water level fluctuations and their effect on the skimmer's performance can be quite annoying at times.

I saw the 210/3 images on the Tunze website and it looks interesting. Would you please explain what changes were made in this new model to resolve the water level sensitivity? Also, has the mounting hardware changed any to be more suited to the American tanks? I remember you providing me with some special hardware to affix the 210/2 to mine which has that plastic molding at the top. It's an All-Glass brand tank.

If you say it's much better than the 210/2 than I would be very interested and willing to give it a try.

Also, is this particular model still in stock and what merchant online can I speak with to purchase it? None of the online vendors seem to have the Tunze products listed on their websites.

Lastly, is the price comparable to the 210/2?

Thanks in advance.

The new 210/3 is basically a 3110/2 turned on its side. The pump is positioned deeper in the aquarium. This prevents any run dry problems. The skimmer is slightly more tolerant of water level fluctuations but all skimmers perform best with a constant water level. The skimmer is smaller, it has a particularly narrow profile of about 2". The foam riser tube is tapered to create a drier foam and increase the blow off pressure. If you are pleased with your skimmer a better way to spend the money might be on a Osmomat Auto Top off, the Osmomat is the intank version of the Osmolator. It is article 5024. Marine Depot has the 210/3 skimmer in stock now. They do not have the articles up on the site yet. Champion Lighting has all the articles available for the US market listed on their site. You could purchase the skimmer from any of our listed dealers on the Tunze web site. I would also be happy to work with a local shop of your choice, I would expect they can offer comparable prices to online. The price is the same or perhaps slightly cheaper. Regarding the mounting, request the US mounting kit, article 7999.999 it consists of longer screws and a suction cup with spacer to provide a level mount on most US aquariums. It works perfectly on Oceanic but I have yet to try All Glass.

Thanks Roger. This is Allen by the way, I purchased all my Tunze equipment from you a while back when Aquatek was online.

I did purchase the Osmomat but it would never run properly for me despite the suggestions you gave. The mounting hardware plus the top molding of my aquarium caused a lot of trouble.

Now, you mentioned a suction cup as part of the US mounting kit. Is this availabe or recommended for the Osmomat too? I'm assuming the suction cup would occupy that area between the lower part of the brackets and the glass. This must be new.

The inner protruding ridge of the top molding of my All-Glass aquarium was why my Osmomat was so unstable. If at anytime the surface skim box would get low with water it would teeter upwards and then the pump would start to run dry. Then it wouldn't be able to catch up and I would have to manually push down on the skim box to allow the water to weigh down the system again. Basically, the brackets weren't able to grip on to that little ridge which made the system more like a teeter-tot, if you can picture that. Other than this, the fill pump and water sensor worked great and I see the potential of the system.

That suction cup might be the perfect solution.

Regardless, I think I will still try the new 210/3. That slim line look is really nice.

Anyways, anymore info on the Osmomat and suction cup mounting hardware would be great. I haven't given up totally on my Osmomat, but definitely needed a break from it becuase I literally have tried everything.

Can you give me a call tomorrow and I will send you out the suction cup and nipple at no charge? 512-833-7546 between 10-5 Central.

Will do, thanks Roger. Now, will the suction cup work with the "L" brackets you gave me? Is there a diagram I can look at or will I pretty much know how it fits?

Back