Need your thoughts

marinelife

I am thinking of adding a closed loop to my tank. I currently have the following:

1 Waveline Apex Ready DC10000II water pump Dec 2015 - return pump
2 6100 streams Feb 2003
1 wavebox Nov 2005
1 wavebox June 2007
2 6105s streams March 2014

As you can see some pumps are getting old and I fear they will not last forever. I am thinking closed loop with the 2 6105s left in the tank.

My tank is 375 gallons made of 1" acrylic. I am thinking I can do a larger water change and drill a hole about half way down the end of the tank. I am thinking 2" bulkhead with strainer and I have a 2" ball value.
Do you think I am risking to much drilling a hole in a tank with some water in it? The ends is covered by a cabinet that holds all my equipment.

For the return side I would drill 4 1" or so holes to have the plumbing come thru the bracing. I already have one hole from a return hole I am not using so I would only need 3 more.

then what pump would you use?
I was thinking another waveline or Ecotech Marine Vectra L1

Thoughts?

Just so the water level is below where the holes are being drilled you will be fine... so when are we doing this? I have the L1 as you know but you won't be happy with the flow from one L1. You need something that will push closer to 5,000gph

I was kinda thinking I may need a bigger pump, could go with a none DC but liked the option of having flow out of the CL change.

I have a CL on my 180g reef. I have an OceanMotion with 4 outlets (3 at a time open). I use an original Jebao DC12000 as an external pump on the CL and it runs at full speed 24/7.

Back