Neptune Apex ATK (Auto Topoff Kit)

First of all a pump that is inside a container that is the same height as the sump and has tubing connected horizontally from the top of the container to the sump should not siphon when turned off. A tiny sicce sincra micro does not do it yet the tunze and pmup do.

I mentioned the litermeter as that's what I have now and yes I know the difference between a peristaltic and impeller pump.

The pmup is way too expensive for what it is.

Then again you are a "beta" tester for Neptune so I don't expect you to agree.
A siphon is basic physics. There are no magic exceptions to it because of a pump. Your set up is installed incorrectly if you have siphon problems. It's that simple, there's nothing to debate .

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Neptune Apex ATK (Auto Topoff Kit)

There is no delay in triggering states.

If I'm not wrong, the ATK will ship with an anti siphon .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A siphon is basic physics. There are no magic exceptions to it because of a pump. Your set up is installed incorrectly if you have siphon problems. It's that simple, there's nothing to debate .

Agree. A siphon will occur whenever you have a fluid filled tube connecting two bodies/containers of water. The water will always flow from the container with the higher water level to that with the lower water level. If the outlet of the tube is not in the water then the siphon will occur as long as the outlet of the tube is below the water level in the source container.

Peristaltic pumps prevent this because the roller pinches the tubing, blocking the flow of water, otherwise, the pump is irrelevant. The height of the tanks is irrelevant. the length of the tubing is irrelevant.

If you are siphoning water with your setup, you can either try to change physics or change your setup. The 2nd option is easier.

The Mur-lock check valve Vinno linked to won't help. Check valves keep water from flowing 'backwards,' but in this case the siphon is occurring in the 'forward' direction, so the water would just keep flowing.

Now that this system is released and there are more details, I have a few thoughts:

• Price - It's on the high end for ATOs, but not unreasonable, IMO. If you price our the components separately, the optical sensors, pump and FMM alone come to $190. The Tunze osmolator, what most consider to be the 'gold standard' is $200. There are other cheaper systems, but their features and components differ.
  • Having the ability to add a low water sensor to the ATO reservoir and a leak detector is very nice and something not available in other systems that I'm aware of
  • The 'smart' timing feature that limited fill time to 2x the average fill time might be an issue. I've had plenty of occasions where I come home and realize the ATO has run dry and my sump is a half gallon low. With the Tunze I just fill up the reservoir and let the ATO run. Doesn't seem like you can do that with the Apex unless you can adjust this with fusion.
  • Supposedly Neptune will be selling just the optical sensors & bracket separately. Depending on the price, that would make it almost a no-brainer for anyone who already has an apex FMM.
  • An added bonus for those that have an Apex is it saves a switched outlet.
  • I'm curious as to whether you can change/customize the programming if you have an Apex or if it's simply limited to how it's set at the factory.
  • Since improperly programming an ATO has a huge potential for damage to the tank and floods, having it pre-programmed is a nice benefit for people new to controllers.

If your reservoir had run dry, the ATK will probably be in error state. Refilling the reservoir and re-enabling ATK should be fine. You can also manually fill in the return chamber to the low sensor.

You can customize the programming.

Apex Fusion just got an update that introduces 'Tasks'. It will guide you through setup of various equipment like heaters, pumps and the ATK. It will then generate the code based on that.

Agree. A siphon will occur whenever you have a fluid filled tube connecting two bodies/containers of water. The water will always flow from the container with the higher water level to that with the lower water level. If the outlet of the tube is not in the water then the siphon will occur as long as the outlet of the tube is below the water level in the source container.

Peristaltic pumps prevent this because the roller pinches the tubing, blocking the flow of water, otherwise, the pump is irrelevant. The height of the tanks is irrelevant. the length of the tubing is irrelevant.

If you are siphoning water with your setup, you can either try to change physics or change your setup. The 2nd option is easier.

The Mur-lock check valve Vinno linked to won't help. Check valves keep water from flowing 'backwards,' but in this case the siphon is occurring in the 'forward' direction, so the water would just keep flowing.

Looks like Neptune Systems will be including a siphon break as a standard with every ATK.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/siphon-break-instructions.png

I was really excited about the release but it doesn't really provide any advantages over my current Tunze which will likely work forever. The float switch is huge. Does it need the power supply to run or is power provided by the aquabus?

Last edited:
If you already have an apex I do not see how or why you would need this. I have 50 dollars in float switches, a bracket, and an aqua-lifter plugged into my breakout box. You can program your own frequency that it can run and auto shut off.

Why would I need it? Is this aimed at the segment without an apex that think the tunze ATO is not sufficient?

I don't think so. The aqualifter is pretty low volume. Might trip the over time warning if it takes too long to fill.

I was really excited about the release but it doesn't really provide any advantages over my current Tunze which will likely work forever. The float switch is huge. Does it need the power supply to run or is power provided by the aquabus?

If you mean the white float; it's not a switch. just a mechanical float that will block the water flow just like on a RODI unit.

If you already have an apex I do not see how or why you would need this. I have 50 dollars in float switches, a bracket, and an aqua-lifter plugged into my breakout box. You can program your own frequency that it can run and auto shut off.

Why would I need it? Is this aimed at the segment without an apex that think the tunze ATO is not sufficient?

I don't think so. The aqualifter is pretty low

If you have a working Tunze Osmolator, it's a hard sell to switch to the Neptune ATK. The potential advantages I can think of are:
  • Better integration with the Apex controller
  • The ability to easily add the leak detector and low reservoir sensors
  • The optical sensor that Neptune uses as a backup is generally better than the float sensor that Tunze uses, although the float sensor is generally dry, so the likelihood of it getting fouled and failing is quite low.
  • If you have or are planning on getting an Apex controller, the included FMM has additional ports that you can use.
  • If you already have an Apex then it will save you a 120V outlet since the PMUP uses the 24V port.
Most of these are relatively minor, and as with any new system, I would generally recommend waiting if you can to ensure that all the bugs are worked out.

If you already have an Apex with float switches and an FMM module then there's not much benefit to the ATK. The optical sensors are generally more reliable under the water line, but otherwise you could theoretically program your apex to do close to if not exactly the same thing.

One thing the ATK does give you is a magnetic holder and a mechanical float valve to serve as a last ditch fail-safe if the electronics should go haywire. If you don't like the float valve and/or don't have room for it, you can remove it without otherwise affecting the operation of the system, but again, if you already have a system set up, this won't give you much more. I view it as another ATO option with a few unique features; more choices is a good thing, right?

The Aqualifter is significantly slower than the PMUP (30 vs 100 gph), but unless it was so slow that the system times out it should still work. Of course the aqualifter is a 120v pump, so you'd either have to use an EB outlet with the APEX or have a relay to let the 24V signal from the FMM control the 120V outlet.

Regarding the necessity of the power supply - I found this on BRS's Q&A for the FMM:
"You will not need a separate power supply from the Aquabus cable if you are just using this module for monitoring. However, if you plan to power accessories, you will need a power supply and plug this into the power port."

Regarding the necessity of the power supply - I found this on BRS's Q&A for the FMM:
"You will not need a separate power supply from the Aquabus cable if you are just using this module for monitoring. However, if you plan to power accessories, you will need a power supply and plug this into the power port."

So if we already have an Apex and FMM, the ATK will be powered by that and we can ditch the outlet power cord? It will open up the outlet that is currently occupied by my Tunze's power cord?

You still need power for your top
Off pump The USB just runs the FMm. The 24v port runs the pump

Back