New 200 Gallon Crystal Dynamics Build

i've mostly made brackets and standoffs for pumps, UV etc. Also use it to make shims/adapters for plumbing...it's so annoying trying to find plumbing for NTP, BSP, standard, metric pvc etc etc. it's ridiculous that sometimes in order to fit two things together you need to used 12" of adapters/reducers. I even made a ring adapter when i converted my old 10" pool light to a smaller 6" LED light. Surprisingly nobody makes one.

Anyway, looks like people have already designed a controller mounts for the vortech pumps. Do a search on thingiverse for ecotech and you find some single and double mounts. You can put two doubles side by side and I do have black filament ;)

Not yet. Millwork started install for the kitchen, so, I have a few things ahead of it right now.

I will post some pics here soon.

Quick update.

- Leveled the tank in its final position. (This was key to getting all field measurements done.

- Going finish the plumbing this weekend. I have all of the return plumbing completed except the main lead from the pump.

- I would like to at least test run water through the tank hopefully this weekend.

- We did all the field measurements and final designs of the millwork face... Should be pretty cool.

- My plan would be to add equipment and program apex so that the system is ready to start cycling. I would like to cycle the tank while waiting for the millwork so that when it is completed, I can start transferring the fish.

- I think I have almost enough equipment to start this process. My plan is to remove the apex from temp tank and then keep the heater, light, auto top off, skimmer and pump functioning on the temp tank the old fashioned way. I have almost all of that as a redundant equipment with the exception of the heater.

I will post pics later this weekend, maybe a couple of the kitchen pics as well!

Quick update.

- Leveled the tank in its final position. (This was key to getting all field measurements done.

- Going finish the plumbing this weekend. I have all of the return plumbing completed except the main lead from the pump.

- I would like to at least test run water through the tank hopefully this weekend.

- We did all the field measurements and final designs of the millwork face... Should be pretty cool.

- My plan would be to add equipment and program apex so that the system is ready to start cycling. I would like to cycle the tank while waiting for the millwork so that when it is completed, I can start transferring the fish.

- I think I have almost enough equipment to start this process. My plan is to remove the apex from temp tank and then keep the heater, light, auto top off, skimmer and pump functioning on the temp tank the old fashioned way. I have almost all of that as a redundant equipment with the exception of the heater.

I will post pics later this weekend, maybe a couple of the kitchen pics as well!
Looks beautiful so far. Everything is well placed and organized.

Can't wait to see the progress! I have an extra apex classic head unit and eb4 if you want to borrow it for the temporary setup. You'll need a temp probe though. I also have extra heaters you can borrow.

Can't wait to see the progress! I have an extra apex classic head unit and eb4 if you want to borrow it for the temporary setup. You'll need a temp probe though. I also have extra heaters you can borrow.
Wow, very generous offerđź‘Ť

Brian,

I may take you up on that offer... Would it be ok to borrow for a month or so?

OK, a quick update.

Did some more plumbing.

Need to add the pump (missing a piece to do that gonna take care of that later today.

Then I need to finish a little piping for the return plumbing.

Finished the overflow plumbing today with the exception of the plumbing inside the external overflow. This will be a bean animal setup.

Heaters and Pumps arrived today.

So did the salt.

If all goes well, I will put water in the tank to test for leaks on or around Sunday. I am a little nervous about the JBJ chiller plumbing... It is an older heater and I hope the pipes leading in and out of it are still good... I don't really have a way to pressurize it... So, I need to run water and check!

Here are the pics of the plumbing:

Attachments

• 12-28-1.jpg
    12-28-1.jpg
    778.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 12-28-2.jpg
    12-28-2.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 12-28-3.jpg
    12-28-3.jpg
    766.9 KB · Views: 44
I just walked by your house a 2 weeks ago for candy cane lane with the kids…. I wondered if you still had a tank. Last time I was there it was completely overgrown with SPS.

You should be good with the chiller plumbing. Those plumbing parts last a long time. Electronics and sensors seem to fail first.

That's some neat red PVC plumbing. You definitely have more patience than me.

I just walked by your house a 2 weeks ago for candy cane lane with the kids…. I wondered if you still had a tank. Last time I was there it was completely overgrown with SPS.
You should have stopped in. When this is all done, I will have the 200 reef in the living room and the 180 will be in the garage as either a discus, cichlid, or tetra tank

You should be good with the chiller plumbing. Those plumbing parts last a long time. Electronics and sensors seem to fail first.

That's some neat red PVC plumbing. You definitely have more patience than me.
Yeah, the chiller works still , but, on the last tank I did have salt creep at the inlet and outlet. I took apart everything and cleaned it real well. Reassembled it and it is holding water with no leaks.

You ask how I know?????

I filled the tank yesterday!

Just with fresh water.

I will post soon... I need to remember my you tube account

Well,

A lot has happened in the last week or so.
- I got the tank up and running with regular fresh water
- I drained the fresh water
- I put the rock together using the plastic beads that you put in hot water (name is escaping me right now.
- Spent this week making saltwater with RODI (I can do about 60 Gallons a day.)
- Turned the tank on with running saltwater.

So, tonight, I am going to put the new live sand in and let it settle overnight
Tomorrow my plan would be to bring the tank up to temp (I have (2) 500 watt heaters)
Once at temp, I will dial in the salinity to match my temp tank.

Then, over the next week, I will do approximately 30 Gallon water exchanges between the 2 tanks. I am going to do this for 5 days. That should get me to similar water in both tanks and should also help with the start cycle.

Then, I will move the fish and let it settle for a week or so.

Then I will start moving what little coral I have left...

Over the week of water changes, I will start bringing up all of the equipment, one piece at a time.

the order for the equipment will be:
1. Apex and 2 EB8's
2. Heaters
3. Chiller (Wont come on during this, but will be dialed in)
4. Kalkwasser
5. Calcium Reactor
6. ATO
7. GFO Reactor
8. Carbon Reactor
9. Skimmer
10 - (4) MP40's

A lot to do!

Also, the millwork surround is getting installed next Friday!!!!

Here are 5 pics....
(3) pics are of the new rocks. Keep in mind, the Bommie on the right side of the tank will come from my temp tank (at least I think so)
the 4th and 5th pic is of the millwork that is at the shop... finished in the wrong color.... back in finishing to get the right color.

Enjoy!!!!

Attachments

• Rocks 1.jpg
    Rocks 1.jpg
    859 KB · Views: 19
  • Rocks 2.jpg
    Rocks 2.jpg
    962.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Rocks 3.jpg
    Rocks 3.jpg
    866.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Millwork 1.jpg